1. Wednesday night I went to a Crosby Nash concert at a great local theater. I cannot say enough about how good this was. I am a huge fan of any and all combinations of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young with Crosby and Nash being my favorites. I seriously love David Crosby even though as he joked he is built like an avocado. I hugely admire anyone who pulls himself/herself out from under a life of addiction. When Crosby and Nash sing together they have the most beautiful voices imaginable. In my opinion no one can harmonize like those two. I was talking with a friend I saw at the concert and we both agreed that David Crosby's voice has only gotten better. How old are they? 65? They are INCREDIBLE. Now I want to see them again............soon.
2. I have been doing a lot of biking along with my running. I had one double where I ran early (with the right hat this time) and then biked to work. Beautiful weather for it this week. Then yesterday I biked to work and then commuted home with a colleague. Sweet! She lives farther "up - literally" than I do. Everyone thinks I have a hard ride and I guess if you don't work out it would be. But it is NOTHING compared to my colleague's. I rode with her and one hill was steeper than anything I have ridden on. It was hill after hill after hill and they were long and steep. Then I left her to head home(down) and I couldn't even go fast because it was so steep. But I really felt like I got my workout in. I didn't take my camera and it was beautiful. I guess I am going to have to tackle it again.
3. Tomorrow I have a long ride planned - more about that in another post. I have been thinking I want a new bike. When I started riding due to my running injury I had no idea how much I would like it. Then I thought once I was running again I wouldn't find time for it but that is not the case. I am looking at roads as I drive thinking about how I want to bike on them. I got two books for Christmas with routes/rides all over Vermont. If I get a new bike I want a hybrid type. I don't think a road bike would be practical as so much of my riding is on dirt roads. Don't you think I
4. We had a field trip the other day - the really fun one to a golf course. Driving golf balls is rather addicting. You keep thinking you can do better. I had a couple of students that rocked at it. We also went to a putting green and putted, watched them put a new hole in and mow the green. Felt the cuttings (a huge thrill - you would think these Vermont kids had never seen or touched grass) and a ride in a golf cart. No need to tell you that was the favorite thing if you have a 9 year old child. Then they run on the college football field - beyond exciting. Then we walked - yes walked much to my delight about a mile each way to lunch. They eat in the college cafeteria with all the college students and all the choices! They complained when they were told they couldn't have soda. Being the loving teacher I am I told them if they whined about it more I would add no dessert. Apparently they believed me because they stopped. They quickly found they had tons of juice choices, lemonade and chocolate milk and it was all good! The whole day was tiring but a blast. And one of the best things that happens each year is you hear them talking about where they want to go to college.
One of many excited kiddos trying to
drive the ball
I wasn't able to provide
much of an example
Giving it a good try
Where did it go?
If the golfing isn't working for you
Retrieving the balls after hitting them =
just as much fun as hitting them!
5. Tomorrow I have the race with the killer hill. Someone tried to talk me into doing the 10K which usually I would but the hill is even more of a killer and I have 5 races this month. I feel okay saying the 5K will do me just fine. I am hoping to do well and give it my all. I want my pace to be in the 8s where it hasn't been all year or the low 9s. But mostly I am thrilled to have another race especially on roads I often run.