Friday, November 5, 2010

Thankful Post Five

At the Washington Monument

At the Lincoln Memorial


In DC with Em!

Today is a super easy one.  I am so thankful to be in DC spending time with Emily!  I had an unexpected chance to come down for a long weekend. I flew in early this morning and I fly out late Sunday night so I am getting a lot of bang for my two nights. Plus it is daylight savings weekend!  Emily went to college near home and then took a job in Vermont for a couple of years so it was a bit of a shock when she moved to DC last year. (Actually it wasn't but it certainly was something I needed to adjust to.)  But I am fortunate that it is a city I can get to fairly easily and quickly.  Planned right it also isn't too expensive!  So here I am all smiles waiting for her to get our of work.  I have already been to the American History Museum today and out to lunch with Emily. We ate at Sweet Greens, the best salad place ever.
Em rocks the boot.  If I couldn't see that she was 
wearing one I wouldn't believe it because
even with the boot on she is fast!

An awesome salad from Sweet Greens



I am actually quite pleased Emily lives here. She and the city seem to suit each other - plus what a place to visit!  Not too hard to take!  I have never lived in a big city and there is certainly a part of me that regrets that.  Whenever I visit NYC I am so invigorated and juiced.  I don't know why I don't go more often!  Central Park thrills me   but I won't be moving to NYC anytime soon. I have become quite used to my beloved VT and the benefits of country living.  Plus my hubby would NEVER move to a city. The good thing is we both love Vermont, all four seasons  and have no desire to retire south.  It is a pretty important thing to agree on!

DC is a great city without the tall buildings and with plenty of it's own open spaces.  I love love love it here.  There is so much to do and see and it is just an inspiring place to be.

Now as I said I never lived in a city. So when I get myself around on the Metro and find where I need to be I am quite proud of myself.  "Do I need to meet you at the airport?" "No, I will be fine. I'll take the Metro." And I was!  After I left stuff off at Emily's place we had a quick breakfast and she headed to work. I tried to get into the Bureau of Engraving and Printing but even in November it is impossible!  So I went to the American History Museum deciding ahead of time to just do a few exhibits.  I went to America At War and only went to the Vietnam part.  Then I went to the Presidents exhibit and the First Ladies.  I also went by the pop culture stuff. Who can resist seeing Kermit and the ruby slippers?

When Emily got out of work we walked on the Mall, something I never get tired of.  We took a detour home to go to Trader Joes which I have never been to.
At the Washington Monument

15 comments:

Emz said...

Trader Joe's rocks. I live there......but I'm kinda wishing I "lived" in DC.

And sweet greens ------- looks amazing.

Enjoy your time there!! :)

Alicia said...

I took the metro in d.c. this summer and it was intimidating! Good for you for getting around on your own. Enjoy your weekend!

Ewa said...

I LOVE public transportation. I wish we had more of it - kind of envy Europeans for that.
I have same boot Emily does though mine is blue. Thankfully I don't have to wear it anymore.
Have a wonderful weekend you two.

Anne said...

I love it when you talk about visits with your daughter...we are so lucky to have such great relationships with our girls :)

Pahla said...

When we were in Boston this spring we took the T everywhere and I loved it! It's such a "big city" thing to do.

Tricia said...

enjoy your visit!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Fun times! and it looks like the weather was nice, too - blue skies!

Marlene said...

It looks like you guys are having an awesome time! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Johann said...

Have fun!

Char said...

You two have such a lovely relationship - Mother/daughter but still friends.

Jenn said...

OMG-Trader Joe's is the bomb! I love it almost as much as Lulu. Especially the Creamy almond butter with sea salt and the Charles Shaw (2 buck Chuck) wine that is only $3 and I buy it by the case..lol! Looks like you're having a blast. My husband works in DC ocassionally. He would never move to a city either but we have discussed being in Vermont. Actually looked at a job in Burlington last year. Still has the seasons but so much more beautiful than here! Anyway, enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Kate Geisen said...

I love DC, and the American History Museum is one of my favorite places. I haven't been there in years and years. I'd love to take my kids to visit.

Julie said...

I think it is great that you get to visit Em again! It looks like the two of you always have so much fun:) I have been to DC once on a layover. I only got to see a small part of it and need to go back sometime:)

Great pictures:)

HappyTrails said...

That salad looks awesome - what was in it? We always go to Trader Joe's when we are places that have them - that is a great market - wish we had them at home. Appears you are enjoying DC - have a blast with Em!!

Lindsay said...

i love TJ's. we just got one, i have missed it dearly! so glad they finally put one here in SC.

ok... so major revelation today. i just now put two and two together that sweatonceaday emily is your daughter hahaha. i'm so dense sometimes. i was like wait a minute, she looks familiar - i think i read her blog too. ahaha.