Sunday, November 7, 2010

Thankful Post # 7

Today I am thankful for the ease of modern travel which made it possible for me to be in DC this long weekend with my daughter!  We are now slothfully sitting around but we did put some major miles on our shoes in spite of not being able to run.  Emily walks everywhere and boot or no boot she walks fast.  She estimates each day that we walked at least 8 miles!

Em's gym

Baked and Wired Cupcakes - Yum!
Yesterday we began the day with a trip to her gym.  When I go to the gym I am in an old basketball gym with small windows way up on the ceiling. It was a treat to be in a well lit gym with many many windows looking out on her streets and neighborhood.  I tried the stairmaster - that is a decent workout and then I spent quite a bit of time on the elliptical.  Lastly I went into the weight room where I did my stretches.  I wasn't sure of the weigh troom etiquette but I seemed to do okay.We came "home" and showered before heading off for some shopping and eating in Georgetown.  We were doing a little birthday shopping for Emily.  She picked up a few things  -non workout for a change - in between a great lunch of pizza and our cupcakes that I was thankful for yesterday!

Today we took a walk to the Jefferson Memorial and FDR Memorial. Em had not been to the FDR Memorial since she moved here and that needed to change.  It is one of my favorite walks so I was delighted. It was sunny but cold. We laughed at the differences in our choice of attire.  I was quite happy in capris and Em was all bundled up.  She has lost her thicker Vermont blood!
DC vs. VT blood

Can't beat this walk!



Forgot to mention we saw Beau Obama doing his "thing"






Then we went to a fantastic brunch at Logan Tavern.  One of Em's college friends met us there.  I had the best eggs benedict ever!  We meandered back to Ems and now we are doing nothing. Well I am. She is cleaning and organizing around the homestead! Soon it will be time to head to the airport and back to Vermont. I am always happy to be home but the thought of reality and being back at work tomorrow is a little more than I can bear right now so I'm going to stop thinking about it!  Tomorrow at work will be here soon enough!

20 comments:

Christina said...

Oh, looks like you had a nice weekend with your daughter. Making me a little teary-eyed actually because I miss my parents.
I like living in the country, but living in the city really forces you to walk around quite a bit. :)

Char said...

It's such a pity that holidays can't last forever and the real world has to intrude on a good time.

MCM Mama said...

Sounds like you had a lovely weekend!

Marlene said...

Fun weekends always go byt oo fast! Glad you had a great time, though!

Anne said...

Your DC vs VT photo made me smile :) ...I was out running in capris today.

Such a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Super sounding weekend and those cupcakes...oh, my!

Anne said...

Oh...I'm reading a book that has me wanting to read all the time...I don't know if you know this author, but if not, give her a try. Right now, I'm reading "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand. I also plan on reading "Atlas Shrugged". She is an amazing author and it has been such a long time since I've read this level of excellent writing...in my opinion :)

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

This post nailed it for me (this and watching the NYC marathon) - my wife and I NEED an Eastcoast Fall trip next year. It has been 10-11 years since I have been back there!That was during a really hot and muggy 4th of July trip. I need see it there in the Fall. thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like we both had great weekends!

Awesome photos!

Darlene said...

you're lucky to be able to take a short vacation to DC. Looks like you and your daughter had lots of fun even if it's not running & races.

LookingUpAgain said...

I too am thankful for modern transportation! Airplanes will allow me to travel to Florida next weekend for my aunt and uncle's 40th anniversary party! I'm glad modern transportation helped you have a great weekend too!

I like your Thankful Posts. This is a wonderful thing :)

HappyTrails said...

Nice trip - no more tempting with huge cupcakes though... We are going to be in trouble when we need our Colorado blood as it has been such a warm fall here. Our skin is too thin for winter right now!! Glad you had a great visit!!!

Tortuga_Runner said...

I live DC and cupcakes. Sounds like a perfect few days!

Jill said...

You two just make me smile all the time - I hope one day when my daughter ever moves away (she's 20 next week - but goes to college in town) she and I will be having tons of fun like you and Emily!! Um, are those cupcake sugar-free??? ;)

Johann said...

What a beautiful walk! I love the DC vs. VT blood! This afternoon I will pick up some cupcakes on my way home as a surprise. Have a wonderful week!

Julie said...

Georgeous pictures of your walk! I would of enjoyed it too:) Pizza and cupcakes....now you are talking! You and your daughter look like you are having such a great time! Spending quality time with our daughters...priceless:)

Alisa said...

Yay, looks like a great trip with your daughter. The first picture of you two modeling DC vs VT blood---I think this would be even funnier if I was added as CA blood =).

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were just talking about how nice it is to have modern travel. Can you imagine how long a trip from NJ to Colorado and back would have been?!?!?!

Unknown said...

It sounds like you had a little of everything during your visit. I love the cupcakes from your last post, delicious!

Molly said...

great weekend, I laughed at your outfit choices! I'm still walking around in my birkenstocks barefoot!