Saturday, November 27, 2010

Family, Work, Fun and Running



I have many days of being thankful to catch up on!

Day 24
From a birthday of mine 4 years ago!

I am thankful Emily lives close enough to come home for both Thanksgiving and Christmas this year.  I picked her up at the airport and she is here for 5 nights before I have to drive her back. I know a lot of her time will be spent with friends - that is part of coming home - but I am thrilled to have her here! 

Day 25
Fruit salad requested by Jameson

Rolls requested by everyone - this 
year we skipped the additional cinnamon rolls

Yummy salad made my Emily, Jameson did the 
mashed potatoes, his best yet, Sorry didn't
get a picture

Old favorite comfort food - raspberry jello



Today I am thankful to spend Thanksgiving with all of my family.  Last year we weren't all together so this year is very special!  My hubby's sister also joined up to make the day an even better one!  Everything tasted good!  We did the pumpkin right up with pumpkin pie, pumpkin oatmeal muffins, pumpkin whoopie pies and Will Stevens Pumpkin Ale!  Is it clear we love pumpkin?

Day 26
Same birthday 4 years ago!

I am thankful for Black Friday as a day to have some fun shopping. I must admit I didn't get to any stores until 10:00 so I missed a lot of it. I was not looking for anything special so I slept in.  I had the most fun when I met Jameson to do a little shopping at Dicks.  Perhaps we showed each other things we wanted and we have a "faint" idea of what we might open on Christmas.  Then we went to lunch. Even though Jameson lives close by I don't get to see enough of him. This morning my two "kids" worked out together!  Love it!

Day 27


I am very thankful this year that we are all employed in my family.  Last year it was a very different story.  We were all working to some capacity but not at permanent, well paying jobs with health insurance. I was the only one in a good position job wise.  No pressure there!  My husband had been laid off and worked a variety of temp jobs during the many months he was laid off. He is now back working for the same company but insane man that he is he is also currently doing on the temp jobs from last year. I think he is finding it a bit much and will be cutting back somewhat soon.  My son now has two good jobs in very different fields which give him a good variety to his day.  My daughter has one main job as well as at least one "small" job teaching some fitness classes to pay for a gym membership!  So we are all in much better shape and it is such a good feeling and a huge thing to be thankful for!

The Running Report

On the running front I have run I believe 4 more times.  I have been sticking to the four miles but may adventure to 5  miles tomorrow!  My runs are pain free but OMG are they ever slow!  I am never a speedster but they are super slow.  Does it take a long time for the "speed" to come back?  It is absolutely like I am starting from scratch! But I AM RUNNING!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I had to take off all summer from running because of my knee. I ran 4s for quite a while and it was S-L-O-W. But eventually it does come back, I promise!

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

Good luck on your five miler tomorrow....speed takes me forever to gain back! Loved your days of thanks:)

Anonymous said...

Wow- the running sounds like its coming along well! Don't get discouraged...you are RUNNING!

Tricia said...

I love those pics

Pahla said...

Mmmm, those rolls look just like the ones I make. Pumpkin whoopie pies??? Recipe please! So many wonderful things to be thankful for and you've really hit them all. Love those pics of you and your kids.
Oh, and when I took three months off of running for a stress fracture it took FOREVER before I had anything resembling speed. Honestly, it was two or three months before I was even close to my previous speed. Be patient and you'll get to be your "old self" again.

Chris K said...

Hoooray for running! Slow? Fast? Who cares. BTW, yes, I wear Newtons.

Char said...

Everything seems to be going well for you and your family. It's times like these that we have to acknowledge all the good things and enjoy them.

Fruit Fly said...

Nice post! You have such a wonderful family and fulfilled life -- and yummy food! :)

Lindsay said...

glad you and the family had a happy thanksgiving! my mom makes a similar fruit+jello dish :) yum!

Jennifer said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous holiday, yay for family! Keep up with the steady and slow running, the speed will come back when ready and you'll be healthier and stronger for it! Cheers!

Julie said...

You have so many things to be thankful for:) Thanksgiving looks like it was a hit and how great to have your kids help out with the cooking!

Slow is okay, you are running:) Keep it up!

Christina said...

That's quite a number of things to be thankful for, isn't it? I believe many people get so caught up with the bigger, better things in life and forget that it is the little things like having your children home, pumpkin pies, and running that give the most joy. :)
I'm glad you are running pain-free and very happy for you that you got to spend time with your kids.

What did you do with that fruit salad? Looks exceptionally yummy!

Fran said...

Your Thanksgiving food looks great!

In Holland we have to take care of our own health insurance. It hasn't always been that way but the government changed that about 3 years ago.

It's so good to hear that you've run 4 more times. You will get your speed back, just take it easy.

misszippy said...

Yay for pain-free running. And all of your lovely Thanksgiving activities with the entire family. Great stuff!

Suzy said...

I love your thankful posts. We all have so much to be thankful for. There aren't any jobs available here right now. Not too surprising because it is the middle of the school year. Thanks for asking.

Katie A. said...

So nice you had everyone at home ;) My dad was layed off last year also, thankfully this year he is employed again - it's amazing how that can really feel like a drain on even holidays were we are thankful to just be healthy.
Good luck on the run!

Marlene said...

Look at all the food! Hope you had a great visit and feast with the family!

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to have the family around! Happy Thanksgiving!