Thursday, June 28, 2012

A Vacation Run and Whale Watch

First I went up......

......then down.  Repeat many times.
Now I know why Joan Benoit won the marathon in 1984. She was from Maine and trained on hills! Who knew Maine was so hilly?  I figured the coast would be flat. Well, I went for a run outside today and believe me it was a series of go up a hill, come down a hill, go up a hill, come down a hill and so on. You get it.  It felt great to be outside running regardless especially with the smell of the ocean permeating the air. The temperature was perfect. What  a great day to be a runner! I got a glimpse of the water through some trees....
and then a more direct sighting! Tomorrow I am going to explore and see if I can find a different route.  I do love running in new places and seeing things I wouldn't notice otherwise.

For example I got a good look at the workings of the swing bridge and what it swings out on to.

Before I knew it I was "running" up one last hill and I was back at the cottage. 


Relaxing time before I left to go on a whale watch with my friend, Heather.  I have been on many whale watches and of course they are all different because these are wild animals who do what they please.  We saw many whales, sometimes 2 or 3 at once.  They were mostly fin whales plus a minke.  We also saw harbour seals more than once, not at all close to the harbour. In fact they were 20 miles out. I thought seals hung around rocky places.  I took about 80 pictures on the whale watch. Many of the pictures I got were of the sky or just water. It is not easy to get a picture with a point and shoot camera that responds in it's own good time.  But I got about 20 and picked my favorites to put here.  I came back very chilled and tired. All that fresh air I guess.  Surely I am not this tired from a 4 mile run!






8 comments:

Ransick said...

Beautiful pictures!

Christina said...

Great pictures.
Whale watching is one of the things I hope to see soon! :)
Your pictures brought a smile to my face.

Average Woman Runner said...

Very nice! You'll get to see humpback and maybe orca whales when you come out for your trip to Sea/AK :)

Amy said...

How cool! On the Scott Smith book: I haven't read his first one - have you?

Johann said...

Yay for the running! Whale watching is fantastic! Maine is beautiful! Have a good weekend!

Kandi said...

Whales can be very tricky to take pictures of. You got some good ones! I've seen whales twice - once on my honeymoon in Hawaii this past March and once in Outer Banks, NC a year or so ago right near the beach!

Anne said...

I'm behind on the news, but I was so sorry to read about your break and the end of your tri dream for June. However, I'm thrilled to see that you are getting back out there and soon, you'll be riding that bike like you used to and YOU WILL DO THAT TRI!! Big big hug from Québec and I look forward to reading all about that first tri :) (((())))

Lindsay said...

When we were in Tahiti people kept telling us we should go back for the whale migration... Probably should make that happen! I see dolphins on the Carolina coast often but don't think I've seen real life whales in the wild - too cool!

Beautiful pics of Maine. You sure know where to take a scenic vacation!