Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Moving Forward

1. I am in a splint, not a cast.  Therefore I can remove it to shower and whenever I want (heat) although right now it is my comfort and safety and I only remove it to shower. As I continue to heal I expect I will remove it more. I go back to the ortho dr. on Friday to see if things are continuing to progress as they should. It was a clean break and should heal fairly easily.  When I asked about exercising I didn't get  a definitive answer. Running and swimming might hurt but swimming would be good for it. Biking - no.  I have no desire to bike as it sounds too much like pain.  But running I can do with my splint on.  First I just used the elliptical. Completely okay.  The next day I used the elliptical and added a mile of running on the treadmill. I only went on a familiar TM.  Right now inside is my safety, no cars to think about, pot holes etc.  Today I ran 4 miles.  It didn't hurt at all when I was running them but thought after maybe I had overdone it a little.  Not sure what I will do on Thursday.  Perhaps the elliptical or perhaps nothing.  I'm back to not a lot of choices. I do miss swimming and biking.  Perhaps next week I will try swimming. I am not sure.

2. Today after I worked out I had to get to work. I could not get my sports bra off -until I tried a pair of scissors.  Good thing it was an old one.

3. Snaps are my friend.  And as I told a friend today.........progress is being able to use two hands to get your underwear back up after peeing!

4. I chose this shirt to wear today because it is comfortable and wicking. But it was also 97 degrees and many people thought I wore it to show my happiness over the hot weather. That would be so WRONG!
I.DO.NOT.LIKE.HOT.WEATHER.  The sweat I like I make myself by some physical movement, not by just existing.

I hope you're surviving whatever weather Mother Nature is throwing at you!

23 comments:

misszippy said...

Progress is good! I had a broken arm years ago and after it was pain-free, I did run in the cast.

Poor sports bra!

Pahla said...

Oh, your poor bra!! Thankfully (??) my injuries have always been my lower extremities. You have my utmost sympathy for the pulling up your underpants thing. I'm so glad you can still run! Can you imagine being told you can't exercise at all?? Blech!

Christina said...

Glad you can still run. :)
Thank goodness that sports bra is old. But how many are you gonna have to cut up?
Sending you speedy recovery thoughts!

Jill said...

That's great you're running with no pain....keep it up! Laughing at the sports bra., too funny. I'd probably sit there and pry it off for hours. It gets to 97 in Vermont? Wow. It's been so hot here since you left, you came at a good time! Aside from that little fall...

HappyTrails said...

We are SO glad that you are able to still get out (even if 'out' is really indoors) and train, whether on the eliptical or treadmill. Well done. How many weeks until supposed full recovery and healing??? Too bad you had to cut a PINK bra.... It has been totally blazing hot here - mid-to upper 90's - and wind!!! :-(

Char said...

You could always go commando - not that I would (unless I'd forgotten to take my underwear to speed session). My neighbour doesn't wear a bra in Summer because it's too hot. I try not to go past her place in Summer just in case I have to see her bra-less.

RunningWhit said...

I can't believe you had to cut off your sports bra...that's hilarious! Glad you are doing well and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Ransick said...

That's great you can do some running! I think we all take for grated two working arms, wrists and hands until we can't use one ( or both) of them anymore.

Regarding your comment on my blog, I've never done a race with an ocean swim and am a bit nervous about it. The water a couple days ago was 59 degrees and I don't do well in cold water either. At least it is a sprint,mso the swim shouldn't last too long.

Michael said...

I have been out of blog reading again, and now I have no idea what happened. I'm going to read through your last posts. I'm so sorry about your arm :( Hope you heal quickly, but it's good that you are still able to get in some workouts.

Amy said...

Glad to hear you can at least do the elliptical or the treadmill - but I can sure understand why you miss the swimming if it's been so hot!

Johann said...

Great that you can stay active. I remember when I ran with a cast on my wrist I had to adjust my balance around the corners. Heal well and take care. I think of you a lot.

Carly said...

Ouch! I am going to have to catch up! Get better soon!

christa said...

I have the same "I love Sweat" shirt, same color twinsies!!
Sending you positive healing thoughts!!

Laura said...

YIKES! So sorry about your arm. Heal up and sweat it out. :)

Kandi said...

Glad you are making progress with your wrist!
I'm not digging this hot, sticky weather either! Yuck!

Fran said...

I've catched up on your posts and I'm sorry to hear you broke your wrist. That sucks big time! Hope you have a fast recovery.

I don't like heat either. Our last day in Italy it was a 100 degrees which is too hot for me. At least there's no humidity in Italy which makes it much better to handle than in Holland.

Darlene said...

Sorry I love the hot weather. Your splint brings back bad memories - how many weeks do they predict until it's healed?

Ewa said...

The fact that you are so fit will help with healing. You are making progress and that is great. Great that you can run and funny that you miss swimming. :)
I do not, do not like hot, sticky weather. Hope it cools off for you.

RunToTheFinish said...

baby steps right? Like you said in your last post you are finding the good like reading more! and just think how mentally renewed you'll be when things are back to normal

I was wondering if you'd let me ask you a couple questions for a post I am working on :) amandacbrooks at yahoo

Marlene said...

I remember cutting a sports bra off when my shoulder was in a sling!

Glad you are able to take the splint off if you need to. I don't blame you for being extra cautious for now. though. Sending you continued SPEEDY healing vibes!

Cinthia said...

Ha, ha, I can barely get my sporta bra off with two good arms (who invented those things, I wonder. Was it a man?). Glad you're running again. And think how fast you'll be when you get the splint off!
P.S. It's hot up here, too.

Kathy said...

Glad to hear the recovery is moving in the right directions. Great that you can run.

Black Knight said...

Glad that you can run. It is almost impossible to stop you. I like your attitude.