Thursday, May 27, 2010

Half Marathon Goals

Big Lake two years ago

I always struggle with setting goals.  If I set them high am I being unrealistic and setting myself up for failure? I think my biggest fear with setting them too high especially in a marathon is that if I don't meet them I will be disappointed. I feel doing a marathon is an achievement in itself no matter how many one has already done. It is something to be celebrated not feel disappointed about.  Having said that I will admit  I was disappointed with my marathon last fall and am looking to redeem myself this year.

Back to halves.  My high pie in the sky goal is to beat 2 hours.  My best time ever was 2:00:55 and that was 2 years ago.  My slowest half was 2:12:10 and that was following a period of no running at all due to minor surgery.  I was just glad to be allowed to run it.  I have run 12 half marathons so I am very comfortable with the distance in fact I think it is my favorite race distance.  When I ran in the exact same race last year I ran it in 2:03:46. It was not my goal race, that had been the Big Lake Marathon two weeks previous (where I got my best time the year before).  Last year I ran it in 2:02:35.  Half of my times are 2:05 or slower. Okay so I will set four goals with one being a true reach goal I don't expect to reach.  Jameson would say that is such a bad attitude that of course I won't meet it!

Goal #1 - To be under 2 hours.

Goal #2 - To PR

Goal #3 - To beat last year's time in this race

Goal #4 - To be less than 2:05.

Going out slow won't be hard as it will be crowded.  It is not as flat as the half I did in Feb. (darn) but not as hilly as the one I did in April (yeah).  I know it will be fun as I will see spectators I know, I am racing with a coworker and my children will be in this race too!

It has been more than 24 hours since I started writing this because we had a bad thunder storm last night and lost electricity for more than 24 hours.  No coffee, no shower, no internet this morning. Not a good way to start the day.  But now I can get this posted, get ready for my girl to come to Vermont and enjoy Memorial Day Weekend!
Big Lake last year

30 comments:

Lisa said...

Well I think this is a good approach. If you don't make one goal there are three others and achieving just one of them is success in my book.

MCM Mama said...

Have a great weekend and good luck hitting all of your goals!! BTW, I responded to your email from my personal account. If you didn't get it, email me again.

Char said...

Just wanted to answer your question re snakes in NZ. You're right there are no native snakes there and because of this they have ground-dwelling birds. There are no native predators of the birds there.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

GOOD luck!! You will be GREAT!

Unknown said...

I've set some unrealistic goals before and I've learned a lot from doing that but your goals all seem so possible! Have a nice weekend with your girl and happy running!

Steel Springs said...

Good luck with the half marathon! Go after those goals! It'll be great fun to have your kids at the race.

Ewa said...

I just know you will do great.

Lindsay said...

Good luck you will rock it :)

Amy said...

Those sound like good goals to me - good luck! I'll be thinking of you on Sunday! We might just be running around the same time as my race starts at 3 in the afternoon and we are six hours ahead of you!

RobinLK said...

Have a fantastic weekend, friend! And a great race, too. :) HUGS from Orlando....
r.

Liz said...

I would love to run a 2 hour half. Good idea to have a few different goals. Very good luck!

Michelle said...

Good luck on the goals! Have a great time this weekend.

HappyTrails said...

That's a lot of splits to keep track of during your half ... :-0

Have fun with the kids and have a great weekend!

Anne said...

Good luck on your half!!
Your goals seem very realistic to me. I have to say, even your goal number 4 would be cause for celebration for me :) But, you've come so close, if the weather cooperates, you have an excellent chance of achieving goal number 1. Have a blast with your children!

Hannah said...

Your goals sound great. You are quite the little speed demon! That is awesome!

I love that your kids will be at the race, too. So awesome!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Good luck! I know you will do great!

justme said...

good luck. i have the same problems with setting goals. talked with a trainer at the gym about it and she wants me to set some goals BUT not just race goals she said i need to set training goals as well. i thought that was interesting. of course i have yet to do it....but

good luck

Jocelyn said...

You are going to rock it! Good goals and they all seem doable. Just have a lot of fun and run with style :)
Oh and that was the first time I mentioned a boy. We've only been dating for about 2 months :)

Johann said...

That's good goals. I'm sure you'll make #1. I think it's awesome that you can run in the same race as your children. Good luck!

Marlene said...

Have a wonderful long weekend and good luck at the half!

Darlene said...

Good luck reaching your goal(s). That's so cool that your kids are racing with you. The most important goal is have fun and it sounds like you always do.

Monica said...

I know you will do great!!!

We start school usually the last week or so of August and finish at the end of May.

Felice Devine said...

I like having multiple goals. GOOD LUCK!!!

Katie A. said...

You def have a PR in you! And I wouldn't be suprised to see that sub 2 either! You've been running really well lately! Good luck!
I've run 25+ halves and it IS my favorite distance! Can't wait for the race report :)

Molly said...

I think you have a great chance at meeting those goals, have a fun race and wonderful weekend!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Here's hoping that you get that sub 2:00, but all of your goals are great! Have fun!

Julie said...

I am the same way...I set my goals to high sometimes and then I get disappointed when things don't turn out the way I want them to. You have some great goals and I know that you will get there! Good luck this weekend and have fun!!

misszippy said...

Good luck! I think it is such a good idea to always set a couple of goals; that way, you are going to be happy no matter what!

Suzy said...

GL with your race this weekend! You have some great goals set out for yourself. Enjoy having your kids there. I can't wait to read your race report.

Christina said...

I ran outside today. Woke up at the crack of dawn and I am glad I did. Nothing fancy but it was a good run to clear the head. Have a good weekend.