Thursday, April 19, 2012

Three Things Thursday

1. I rode my bike Wednesday for my first bike commute of the season.  As everyone knows Monday it was disgustingly hot. Tuesday was fine. So I looked out the window, saw sun and decided I would ride instead of drive. That is all good but I didn't check the temp carefully. It was in the low 30s as it turns out and I wore my half gloves.  That was crazy! Crazy!  I was worried about shifting and using the brakes.  The first part is downhill but today I was excited to come to an uphill and warm up a little. When I got to school I got to my classroom only to find I could not manipulate my fingers to get my helmet off. I had to go find someone to do it for me!  My ride home was much better!

But then I went for a run and even though it wasn't immediate, again my legs were heavy and oh so slow.  Will I get past this the more I try it or is it just something you deal with and get used to?


2.  Wednesday at school was Jump Rope for Heart day.  It was exceedingly fun!  There were 5-6 stations the kids rotated through.  I stopped rotating after I got to the hula hoop station.  I had rather a hard time making that baby stay on my hips.  The kids made it look so easy and were doing all kinds of neat tricks.  I finally got so I could do it for a minute or so and it amazed me how aerobic it was.  I was tired for  a few hours afterwards, surprisingly tired.

3.  I am feeling a little better about my swimming. When I left this week I wrote down the drills I should be working on and the things I want to remember.  I always think I am going to remember them but I often don't!  I have some things I am anxious to keep trying and that is not always the case. We'll see.  I might be right back in my negative funk about my swimming ability again soon.

Thursday I plan to swim in the morning and then bike after my hair  cut in the afternoon.  I have a bag packed for each thing plus my work stuff.  This sport is nuts!  I can't imagine how much stuff I'll take to Maine with me. And if you have any in with the weather gods talk them into making all that predicted rain short lived.

11 comments:

middleagedrunner said...

I love that your school had jump rope day! I have a hard time hula hooping too- you just have to have a knack for it I think...
The forecast sounds slightly better today but still a little nasty. I'll double cross my fingers that the sun comes out and shines on you!

Kandi said...

Brrrr. It was chilly down here yesterday so I can only imagine how cold it was on your bike in VT!
Hula hooping is a good workout. My mom took a class over a year ago where they learned how to make their own hoops and then learned to do some tricks. She has made a lot of hoops since then (she gave me one and a set of arm hoops). I haven't learned many tricks yet but it is fun.

Christina said...

I can never hula hoop. I have the hips but the hoop won't stay on!
Have I mentioned how I like you systematically list your goals/things to work on?

Unknown said...

I can only hula hoop in one direction. The other way is a disaster. I'm amazed at people who can do it so easily.

Christi said...

Dont get down on your swimming! You can and will be a good swimmer! I believe and so should you!

Johann said...

You will master the bike-run transition and the swim. Just keep doing what you are doing now. Keep it going!

Teamarcia said...

Our school did the jump rope thing too--must be a national thing. You're a good sport for hooping!
My legs ate still dead after riding as well. But it gets better if I push through.

Unknown said...

Swimming among the throng of thrashing arms and legs is probably the single thing that will keep me doing a triathalon. I really admire anyone who can get through that without a panic attack. :)

Kathy said...

Biking tomorrow and really looking forward to it!. Hula hooping is seriously hard - I just released how to do it with my Girl Scout troop - talk about a learning curve!

Giorgio said...

I'm sure you 're a great swimmer ... have a nice weekend!

Black Knight said...

You are working hard in all the 3 sports, congrats. I could not go to work by bike: difficult in suit, with the bag and uphill to come back home in the warmest hour of the day.
Keep on swimming and don't worry, I think you don't need advices because you have a "drill sergeant". Now I am working hard in the swimming pool even if I have some problems of skin allergy.