Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Run Walk Shop Bike

Today is my last full day in Maine.  I decided to do my long run here because looking at the ocean is more painless than my typical long run at home.  I did some exploring in a new area which took up about 7 miles.  Then I stopped to use the bathroom - something I never do at home as I don't run back by my house.  It was tempting to stop but I had a goal of 12 miles so I went back out and went on my lighthouse route which made getting back out there a bit easier.  It seemed fairly easy to do the 12 compared to some times but I wasn't exactly lighting my shoes on fire with my speed.  At one point I was on an island but it was quite small and there was nowhere to go.  Then I saw this cool suspension bridge where I tried without much success to take a self photo.  It led to some trails in the woods but I was reluctant to head into the woods alone so I didn't.

I always like bridges and this was a fun one.

Viewing it from a distance.

Trying to take a picture of myself

Almost

The lighthouse on my run....

Finally a speed limit sign I can do.....

After having a late breakfast which was really a lunch I went to walk on the Marginal Way.  I had done this years ago with my kids.  Truthfully I was a bit disappointed but it could be because I saw so many great scenes on my bike yesterday.  First I had to find the other end of it because I wasn't going to pay $6 to park. I did manage to and just had to do a bit more walking. It was cold and cloudy and not really the experience I was looking for.  My heel bothered me when I walked which I'm sure contributed to my not top notch mood.

The Marginal Way


Then I did a little shopping but really wanted to be back outside so I got on my bike for a short ride.  Glorious!  It was cloudy and late but still wonderful.

More surfers I saw on my ride....

The lighthouse on my ride - late afternoon, early evening

Then I drove up to the lighthouse to sit for awhile and just 
enjoy it.  I may have spent a good deal of this vacation
stalking this lighthouse. 

Tomorrow I hope to get a short ride in and possibly a run before I check out. Then it's home to Vermont with many good memories from this vacation.




17 comments:

HappyTrails said...

"Run, walk, shop, bike" - you ARE the consummate multi-sport athlete!!! Endurance galore!!! :-)

Jill said...

Again, LOVE the lighthouse pictures! How breathtaking. Surprised we didn't see a picture of the lobster roll breakfast. Hahah. If I went shopping in Maine, I'd be buying up all the cute little trinkets, I think it's just such a gorgeous place. Enjoy your last evening! :)

Fran said...

What a great vacation you're having Andrea. I can totally understand why you stalk the light house, it's gorgeous.What a privilge for the people that live in it.

Darlene said...

I love those lighthouses. Your pics make me want to go to the ocean...now!

Liz said...

I have a thing about bridges too, I love to ride or run over a bridge! I like the self-timed photos - almost!

Kandi said...

I like all your bridge and lighthouse photos!
Where were the food photos this time? Did you eat another lobster roll? ;)

Giorgio said...

What a beautiful photo of that lighthouse! I'm envious of your long run next to the ocean :)

Christina said...

I have always love pictures of the bridges and lighthouse you post. Those two things are my favorites :)
Even though you might not be running fast, sometimes, what one person needs is just a good long slow run to clear the head and enjoy being by thmpemselves and enjoy the sights in front of them. Sounds like a really good run to me.

Johann said...

Nice long run! I'm quite a sucker for bridges myself and especially railway bridges. I love running over bridges. Enjoy your time that is left there and travel safe.

Christi said...

I am so glad that you had a great vacation. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Lily on the Road said...

You are SO VERY LUCKY to live where you do! Or are you on Vacay?? Either way, the photo's are spectacular!

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

i foresee a Maine vacation for me soon - or some day at least. wow, what a great time you had!

Ewa said...

Glad you had such a wonderful time. I love that speed limit sign. I am sure I could obey that one without any problems.
Have a safe trip home.

Ransick said...

Beautiful pictures! The light house ones look like post cards.

Char said...

Gorgeous photos. I love the lighthouse one with all the grey clouds behind. It's exactly how a lighthouse should look.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Black Knight said...

A beautiful place to run but I can understand how boring was for you to respect that speed limit!
Great photos.