Tuesday, April 3, 2012

DC Randomness

The first day I was in DC Emily and I picked up our race packets and did a little damage at the Expo.  Great bargains especially on Brooks stuff!  Then we hurried and just made it to see The Hunger Games.  We had decided if we got there great but we weren't going to make it a priority.  Well, it worked and we both enjoyed it a ton.

DC is always about eating as well as running. Here are a few of the good things I ate.
Peanut butter and banana panini - don't judge.  It's the best.

A new find - Roti maybe? Excellent!


Frozen yogurt with lot of hot fudge after the race - well
deserved.  Outstanding!




Delicious cupcakes from Baked and Wired.  It's vacation for sure!

When I am in DC with Em I am always amazed at how much walking we do. I love to walk but it seems to tire me out even more than running.  We estimated at a minimum walking of 8 miles, 6 miles and 5 miles on 3 consecutive days.  That is on top of running and racing.  I also rediscover that when I visit DC walking aggravates my heel more than running.  Most of the time I wonder which heel it is that bothers me because it isn't bothering me.  But when I walk a lot I need no reminders. 





After the race I visited first The American History Museum and made a quick pass through a display I hadn't seen.  But it was so crowded I left and visited the American Indian Museum which wasn't crowded at all.  I enjoyed it a great deal.  Then I decided to walk back to Ems. I love passing the White House on the way.

The Air and Space Museum - just because it's pretty



 I did not get lost this year unlike last year when I walked back from the St. Patrick's Race.  Yay me!

 I was back at work today and rather than missing two days I felt like I had missed 10.  It was rather overwhelming to say the least. Then I had to leave early to go to the oral surgeon - fun times.  But tomorrow I can do some catching up, please.  











16 comments:

Jill said...

You always have the best food when you travel, even to small races :). If I ate that stuff, I'd gain 30 lbs...I have one crap metabolism :(. Looks like a ton of fun, though and so pretty this time of the year. Welcome back to work!! And yeah, I'll get to my "only vowels left" wwf here soon!

Kate Geisen said...

Oh, yum to the food!

The only time I've been in DC was in about 7th grade. I LOVED it, would so love to go back. If only we'd won the lottery...

So glad you had such a great visit, and I definitely feel your pain on getting back to school and being slammed with all the stuff you missed!

Char said...

Don't ever feel bad about the pics of food. I love seeing them - especially the cupcakes. And if you want to casually mention what flavours they are I might just get some inspiration. Pumpkin cupcakes - they were inspired by you and they were so good.

Amy said...

The panini looks absolutely delicious - I need to try that combo!

Fran said...

Fantastic result on your 10 miler, read that post before this.

Looks to me you had a great time in DC with Emily. All the food looks so delicious.

middleagedrunner said...

Beautuful pics!
I always walk and EAT a ton in DC. My fav yogurt spot in DC is Sweet & Tangy- check them out next time because it's SO good there. :-)
I am a huge geek for the Air and Space museum- I can while away the hours in there for sure (and it's less crowded than some of the others...)

A Prelude To... said...

All that food looks aHmazing!!

Kandi said...

That PB & banana panini looks delicious and I LOVE Roti! They put one within walking distance of my office so I go there occasionally for lunch.
I've been to the American Indian Museum before but only to try their cafeteria. It was alright but very pricey. I haven't been back.

Christi said...

Yummy what great lookin' food!

Ransick said...

The food looks fantastic! Glad you had a great visit.

Katie said...

I eat the roti chicken wrap at least once a week, so good! and cupcakes, wow.

HappyTrails said...

You always find the best looking food! I'm really drooling over the cupcakes and the panini and fruit looks absolutely delicious! The American History Museum is appealing to me. Sounds and looks like you had a great trip, AGAIN, all the way around. Blech on the oral surgeon visit, though. :-(

Marlene said...

Sounds like the perfect vacation - lots of running, walking, eating and Mom-Daughter time! Good luck getting caught up at work. The only downfall to days off...

Average Woman Runner said...

Very nice. I love DC & haven't been there since...2007? I have a cousin (Commander w/ PHS!) living there now who I need to go visit. Maybe get him to race me?!

Liz said...

My heel is the same. I've been doing a lot less walking since I discovered that it aggravates the PF a lot more than running. It's a shame, becuase I love walking, especially when sightseeing!

Michael said...

I am totally hunting down that cupcake place the next time I'm in DC. Have mercy those things look AMAZING!!