Thursday, September 22, 2011

Three Things Thursday

1. Thanks for all the advice/thoughts about my lack of loving running and questions on training.  As I read the responses I went back and saw I had typed one thing wrong. I am currently running 5 days a week, not 6.  I used to run 6 but cut back to 5 last year when I returned to running from being injured. Now I think I am going to cut to 4, continue biking until it is time to put it up and then add a different cross training in maybe 1 day a week.  I don't think anything else will tempt me to do it as much as the biking. I might add in swimming which I had thought about at one point. Who knows,,,,,,,,maybe then I'll do the world's slowest sprint triathlon come spring.  Some of you suggested a bike trainer and that might be good for my biking fitness but biking for me is all about the scenery, the new routes I take and what I see. I think I would die on a trainer.  Is there anyone out there who loves them?  The other alternative is the elliptical which seems to be what everyone at the gym wants to use but I feel that is rather deadly too.  When there is snow I should get out my cross country skis again.  Now that might hook me like biking!  Or I could do one of many classes my gym offers. I have ignored them in favor of running but maybe I need to change that. Lots of options out there.

2. I keep a lot of books in my Amazon cart, not because I am going to buy them all but it is my way of keeping track of what I want to read. Periodically I go through the cart while cross checking with my library and reserve the books on line that it has. Well, this week my ship came in. Today I picked up 6 books that I just reserved last Sunday.  I won't put all the pics up but here is the list if you are interested:

The Submission by Amy Waldman
Eyes Wide Open by Andrew Gross ( a thriller - seems to be my new fave genre)
Three Stages of Amazement by Carol Edgarian
You're Next by Gregg Hurwitz (yup a  thriller)
These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf
Stone Rain by Linwood Barclay (new fave thriller author)

I also picked up:
Watch My Die by Erica Spindler (Has anyone read this author?)
Heartwood by Belva Plain

I love having lots of books to choose from when I am finished with a book.  The book that I am reading now is okay. I actually bought two copies by mistake so I sent one to Emily. It is an author I liked but this is not one you can't put down.


3. I just got out my last year's log to see when I put the bike  up. Last year at this time I was biking exclusively so I was biking in some pretty cold winter. Well, the last ride was October 30 and it was a really cold one. T and I were riding on a day that we were stupid to be out in that we were not dressed right for  that showed we are amazing women who will do anything to get the workout in.  I am upset to think that in 5 weeks or less I will more than likely be putting the bike up for the year.  I definitely need to explore some options and see what catches my fancy as a form of cross training.  Maybe I will make it a goal to try one new thing each week.  Hmm.  Maybe two new things in a month!
How long can I go this year?



Still coming - goals for my half marathon on Sunday.  

15 comments:

Anne said...

About your last post, as you know, I cut back quite a bit from last year. Of course, I've only been running for two years and I'm trying to figure it all out, but this 3-4 times a week program, using mostly time instead of Ks, seems to be working well for me.

I love getting a bunch of books and thanks for telling us what you're reading. I write them down and then look them up in my library :) ...except for the thrillers...not crazy about those :)

Good luck this weekend!!

christa said...

Have tiy read anything by Susan Wiggs? I picked up one of her books when I was in the hospital and now I can't stop reading them. They have the same location and charaters in some which I love. I've been getting them from paperbackswap.com and a few from Kelli

Teamarcia said...

I'm thinking all those books would be a great way to pass time on a bike trainer this winter. I was just wondering today how long we'll ride outside this year.
Have a great race!

Kate Geisen said...

I need to take more time to read. I miss falling into a book and getting stuck there. This weekend would've been a good one for that, but my brother is now wanting to leave directly after we finish (can I get an ugh?). I had planned to camp an extra night and watch the 36 hour peeps finish, but unless I can convince my husband to come on Saturday (highly doubtful bc then he'd have to miss football) or bum a ride (working on it) I'm going to have to come home early.

I think cross country skiing would be awesome. You should do that...I can only imagine how amazing your pictures would be!

MCM Mama said...

You should make a page for your blog with lists of books for me to read LOL. I read on my phone, so I'm totally at the mercy of my library (I refuse to pay for books).

I think cross country skiing would be an awesome workout. I'll be interested to see how long into the winter we can bike to school...

Jill said...

Hah...the picture of you with all the books makes me smile. I know you love to read!! I like to read, but not like you; when I do get into a book I tend to neglect everything around me, including my kids and dinner, until the book is done :).

I think in winter you just have to compensate as best you can. No, treadmills and trainers aren't that much fun, but look at all the books you can read whole doing them :). Do you snowshoe? It is really fun and you can actually run in them, too (if you have the right ones).

Happy Weekend, yay! And do great on that half marathon- woohoo! (I am doing one also, a trail one. I'll be thinking of you :)).

Char said...

I'm a little jealous that you have such a good collection of books to look forward to. I have one book half read and another and that's it. Time to start stocking up again.

Amy said...

I have a stack from the library too! Am just reading "Run" by Ann Patchett - have you read anythig of hers?

Fran said...

I'm into thrillers too for a couple of years now. I used to read a lot of chicklits but find them extremely boring now.
I think I have about 30 books on my shelf that I still need to read.

You know what: I would just wait as long as possible before you put your bike away. Who knows Winter will be mild and you will be able to keep on biking all Winter long. You never know right?

Liz said...

I'd love to do more swimming and try a triathlon, but I would be too slow to catch everyone up after the swim. My only stroke is doggy paddle and it takes me aboue 1 minute to swim 25 metres - I'm sure you cold beat me by a long way!

Ewa said...

For the past number of months I've been hooked on books about philosophy, religion(s), science, and spirituality.I think it is time to relax a bit and read some fiction (not that fiction books don't touch on those subjects). I am trying to get used to read books in electronic form too - don't like it much but at least I know I always have something to read when I am stuck somewhere waiting.
I can't believe you are talking winter. Our temps here are soaring. I think it was cooler in July than it is now. :(

Marlene said...

Let's hope for a mild October and many biking days!!

Alisa said...

I'm looking up that thriller book right NOW. I love thrillers and haven't read a good one in awhile.

Right now on my shelf I have:
1. The Art of Racing in the Rain
2. Swimming to Antarctica
3. The Help
4. State of Wonder (just finished it was a great read)
5. The new Bill Bryson book---LOVE HIM


Maybe you'll have to ask for a bike trainer for Xmas so you can bike in the winter from the comfort of your cozy home.

PS It wouldn't be the world's slowest tri time come spring, you're quite the accomplished runner and biker---a little pool time and I'm sure you'll have that down too!

Lindsay said...

i don't think there's anything wrong with not-loving running. i think it just seems scary/weird because we sure act like it's "our life"! hopefully you will find other things to supplement your workouts in the cold weather like the skiing and some fun classes at the gym. running will still be there when you want to take it back ;)

my to-read list grows waaayy faster than i can cross one off (and you're not helping! haha). i did finish "the art of racing in the rain" though - i think you talked about that one once.

JenCreates098 said...

It sounds like whatever you do, you go all out! I like running 4 days. I feel like having the 4th day has made the other days "easier" and when I ran 3 it seemed harder. Weird, I know. But I think 5 would be too much considering everything else I do...it's just finding that balance all the time, isn't it?