Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I DID IT! And seeking advice on training........

What did I do you ask?  I finally finally commuted to school on my bike!  It has taken me almost 4 weeks to jump on my bike in the morning instead of sliding into my car and driving to work. I might have done it sooner if the road hadn't gone out but it has been driveable for a couple of weeks now so that is a lame excuse.  I have biked the last two mornings and plan to again tomorrow although my original plan for the week called for two bike commutes.  Once you get all the organization figured out it is easy.  I am getting up about 20 minutes earlier, laying out my clothes (biking and work) the night before, making sure the backpack is ready and making a list so I don't forget what I need to grab.  Monday was a beautiful day but today was raining and I still commuted.  I did have a student ask me how many bikes I have because yesterday I rode my Hybrid and today I got out my mountain bike for the rain.  It took me awhile last night to locate my rain pants but I did.  I HAVE NOT been able to find the wool glove liners I bought last fall and never wore. It got too cold to continue riding. They sat on my bureau for the winter until I finally "took care" of them but where oh where did taking care of them entail? I looked again in a  few new places tonight but still no luck.

Both days that I biked this week, I also ran once I got home. I couldn't really call them bricks as I came in checked email, had a snack, changed my clothes, then got going.  My runs have been less then stellar. Do I really have a half marathon this weekend?  It is perhaps the least excited I have been for a half.  I am excited to see Darlene and stay with her Sat. night before the race. We are going to the pasta dinner which is unusual for me.  There is a race expo and the course is supposed to be very scenic - that is absolutely the way I like it.  But my running is bleeck.  I don't have the enthusiasm I usually do.  I am thinking about doing  a run walk thing but I'm not sure yet.  I have prepared but not as diligently as I usually do.  I usually hit every workout. This time I have done the long runs and the speed workouts but not so much with the tempos and pace.  Hmm. That is quite a hole.  So when I am thinking about my goal I will need to remember what my effort has been.  Some of the problem has been that my heart has been with biking and that has really been my top priority a lot of the time.

I think I am going to look over my training after this.  I am going to take 5 days or so off from running completely.  Then I am going to think about running less often. Maybe my body is telling me something.  When I put the bike away for the winter I need to find another way of cross training.  I can't really say I have been cross training though as I just added biking to my running regimen.  No wonder I have lost some of my joy.  I  am not exactly a young runner and I think I may be asking too much of myself.  I would still like to work out 5 days a week but cut running back to four. I have been running 6 and biking 3 all spring, summer and fall.  My son keeps telling me I am overtraining. Maybe I need to listen.  I am so scared of being a slacker. Seriously. I still remember those days when I did  nothing and I don't want to go back there.

Thoughts?  Have you cut back or changed it up with any success?  

I'll end with a couple pictures from my run today.  I keep thinking I will show you some of our fall color but there isn't much yet.


25 comments:

Christina said...

I have no advice on training. I was following a plan but I deviated. And now, I might be peaking too soon. I'm all over the place, as usual.

I thought about you on Sunday. I was eating some crunchy pears with slightly warmed maple cream. Oh delicious! The thought, "Gotto tell ajh I am enjoying some Vermont maple cream!"

Jim ... 50after40 said...

You always have the best pics ... and great job on the commute! It sounds like you might need a little break, but I'm the wrong person to give any advice ... I waaaaaay over-train. I'm a horrible example.

Kandi said...

I don't really have any training advice but it does sound like you do an awful lot if you are running 6 days and biking 3. Maybe you need to scale back a bit so you can fall in love with running all over again.

Char said...

I used to run 5 days a week and I ran them all hard. Then I had to come to a grinding halt because my body made me. Now I run four days a week - two hard and two easy at the moment because of my hip injury. I'm starting to realise the benefit of the easy days and wish I'd learnt this lesson before.

Michael said...

When you are biking more I think you can cut back on the running. When I'm tri training I only run about 3 to 4 days a week - making sure to still do at least one long run per week. It kept me in decent running shape all summer.

Great job on the commute! I wish I could commute to work, but not an option for me.

Kate Geisen said...

I'm jealous of your ability to bike commute.

I hear you loud and clear. My running, other than long runs, has fallen off a cliff. Then again, my biking has gone way down, too. I need to get things organized in my life so that I have the time (or get up early ughhhhh) to run or ride after school.

Jill said...

The colors are just starting to turn, I can see a little!! I know I have said this a billion times, but I so badly want to come visit you sometime in the fall when the leaves are at their prime. One day I will, promise!

If running is becoming a struggle for you, then cut back. Think about getting a trainer for your bike, I did that some last winter and plopped in a cycling DVD and it was actually kinda fun. You just got to find the balance that works best for you....and you will!!

Keep being awesome, girlfriend!!!
xo

Average Woman Runner said...

Oh beautiful scenery! As for the training, just be sure to listen to your body. I need a day of rest in between runs but some people can run every day. Just remember that allowing your muscles to recover a day or two a week does not make you a slacker!

Amy said...

Cool that you commuted to work with your bike!

As for the overtraining - your son is probably right. It's all about balance and I am sure you will find a good way to incorporate both running and biking without killing your joy for either one. Or feeling like a slacker. Or getting yourself injured!

I hope the half goes well in spite of feeling like you didn't train enough for it - you can still run it for fun, right?

Ewa said...

Oh, New England colors!!! Miss those.
What do you mean you are not a young runner? Of course you are!
I know what you mean about being afraid of falling into 'not doing anything' hole. For me, I worry, that is a real danger. Maybe taking some days off from running now is not a bad idea. Or try running on trails. That, at least for me, is always so much more fun than pounding pavement.
In winter, if there is snow, would you consider cross country skiing or snow shoeing? Both are excellent cardio exercises and you can do them anywhere.

Anonymous said...

There are a lot of factors to consider, including age when scaling back a training regimen. I realized after a year of marathon training that my body preferred running three days a week versus four days a week because of a knee issue. Perhaps you can look at it from the stand point of quality over quantity.

Unknown said...

I only run 3 days a week as suggested to me by my coach. It seems like I need the down time between running for my body to bounce back. Something about being an older runner. I do other things on the other days. I must say, I feel pretty good...

Molly said...

how fun that you commuted by bike! Do you have access to a pool? Seriously, I never wanted to get into the water, but after I had to this summer for tri training, I LOVE it. It's a nice change.

Fran said...

I would try to workout a bit less and see how that works for you. I never run more than 4 times a week and 1 has to be an easy run.
Besides that I try to workout 3 times but if I miss 1 or 2 or even 3 times I don't mind.

Hope you will have a fun race next weekend. Just go out there and enjoy it.

Karen said...

Nice job on the commute! What a great way to get a ride in ... I'll bet you students think you are one cool teacher ;)

Marlene said...

You are anything BUT a slacker!!! Listen to your body/heart - sounds like it is time to back off running. I am planning to do the same after this marathon. I have trained hard through back-to-back-to-back cycles and I'm getting burnt out.

What about setting up an indoor bike trainer??

Katie said...

nice! I LOVE bike commuting, so fun!

Johann said...

Great for the bike commuting! I do cut back at times, but only slightly. I have so many long term goals that keep me motivated I never get the "not feeling it" thing.

Darlene said...

I agree! You are not a slacker. i am in awe of your energy. My injury contributed to my lack of running & have enjoyed spending more time with friends. last summer, all I did was run & play tennis. I don't want my body to fall apart & need a happy medium. See you soon!

Liz said...

I am frequently amazed by how much running and cycling you manage to fit in! Personally I find that if I do too much, I run slower, and the best and fastest runs I do are usually after a few rest days. I'm not sure it works for everyone though.

Paul said...

Running 6 biking 3 would be over the top for me..would not survive it!

I can do 5 days running 1 day XT and one pure rest day. That's it for me!

If I don't feel eager to go out the door and run I know I'm overtrained and I take a break.

Jennifer said...

No wonder you need a break! All life is a cycle and if you feel the need then charge into it with the same enthusiasm that would your training. Make the break a good one with meaning and purpose and you'll see the need for running comes back soon enough.

Suzy said...

Listen to your body! Cutting back is fine. I hope that if you can cut back all will be great with your running.

LookingUpAgain said...

So proud of you for biking to work :) Way to go!

I have never tried "cutting back" on my running without just giving up completely. I hope you can find a way to listen to your body and do what works best for you.

Carlos White said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.