Thursday, September 15, 2011

Three Things Thursday Once Again




1. I have had 3 very different runs this week.  Tuesday I did a speed workout on the treadmill and it went great. It had the most repeats I do before my half and I had no problem doing them.  Wednesday was a beautiful day and I decided to come home and go outside. When I started out I was slow slow slow.  I had toyed with the idea of taking a very hilly route.  It is so hilly that the last time I ran it was 2 years ago - yes that is 2 years ago - when I was training to run up a mountain in the 100 on 100.  Since then I have avoided this route completely except for on my bike.  And I don't go up it on my bike very often either.  I'm no fool.  But yesterday I thought I might like to take that route. Why?  
I hadn't done it in a long time.
I was already going slowly so going slow on the hills would be no big deal.
It has gorgeous views I don't see that often.
It was something different.
It is a loop and I never run loops at home.

Look way way up into the distance.  This is the 
BEGINNING of one of many hills.  It continues
past what looks to be the top of it for about another
3/4 mile.  


So when I got to the point where I had to decide - I stopped and used the bathroom to give myself some more thinking time.  I came out and stood there for a minute and then instead of continuing straight I turned left and off to all the hills I went!  (Even the downhills are murder on this route!)
On Monday's ride I saw sheep and then horses. Today
they were in the same place.


The trees are just beginning to turn.


Almost home!

Today I had another good if not great run on the treadmill.  So I loved being outdoors this week but my two best runs were on the treadmill by far.  Odd. But no pretty pictures on the treadmill!


2. I am still having the best year at school. I know it is early yet but unless something drastic changes (you never know who is going to move in) the signs are all there for a good year.  Yeah, I have some harder students but I also had them last year and we have our "living with each other" pretty well worked out.  They know what I will take and what they better not even think about trying.  Plus the class chemistry is good and there aren't many kids who will buy into their shenanigans. The class is small. I dare not tell you how small as I will get hate comments from all the teachers who read this blog.  And as I have said teaching one thing twice (math) is just rocking my world.  Plus all the team stuff and I know you've heard it before but it is so great to be happy at work!

3. I do not have a race this weekend and that is fine. I seem to be "off races" for now. But I do have something I am really looking forward to. Sunday I am riding in the Tour de Farms where you ride a certain number of miles (30 for me) and stop at many many farms along the way.  You get lots to eat and drink (including wine) plus a brewery is one of the sponsors so I am wondering what else there will be to drink.  But that could be wishful thinking.  Last year we got all kinds of things maple at the first stop including maple candy and I knew how good the day would be. The forecast is sunny and not too hot for Sunday and I have some friends who will be riding too. 
Tour de Farms - here I come!

16 comments:

Kate Geisen said...

Aaaaaahhhhh...that Tour de Farms post from last year looked so amazing! I wish I could go. The only consolation is that I know you'll take lots of pictures.

I had great runs Saturday and Sunday, both outside, and haven't run since. Tonight may or may not happen, since I have a splitting headache, but there's always an excuse, so maybe I won't let myself off.

I'm so happy that you're having a good year. :) I've got a freakishly small class--for me--this year. Special ed classes are usually smaller, but mine never seems to be very small. This year (so far) is the exception, and I'm going to enjoy it as long as I can. My principal observed today in my room for my evaluation, and I'm interested to see his comments, particularly in light of an incident that came up with one of my students who's mostly in regular ed. Interested, not really worried...so we'll see.

Unknown said...

Tour de Farms sounds like a lot of fun!!!! Take photos please! :-)

The Jesse said...

beautiful pics again, of course :)

i havent run on the treadmill in a really long time. do you think speed work is harder or easier on the treadmill?

Tour de Farms sounds like a lot of fun and something i would totally enjoy :) have so much fun, cant wait to see photos :)

Average Woman Runner said...

Love Tour de Farms but...is it just me or is the red barn behind those sandy horses sinking...?

Liz said...

Cycling to a load of farms and stopping off for food and drink? What a great idea! Have fun!

Anne said...

That Tour de Farms sounds fantastic!!! Beautiful run pics :)

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Other than the long bike ride, the Tour de Farms sounds very relaxing and ... have a great time with it!

Marlene said...

Great runs this week! Way to tackle those hills!

Tour de Farms sounds like a fantastic event - ENJOY!

A Prelude To... said...

I like #3. THAT sounds like a lot of fun! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Kandi said...

Tour de Farms sounds really fun (and delicious)!
So nice to hear that your year at school is going so well. I imagine it can change a lot from one year to the next.

Amy said...

Glad things are going well! I remember when you did that Tour last year - looking forward to hearing what goodies you get to try this time! Enjoy!

Ewa said...

Drinking and riding? :-) Now that sounds like total fun.
I just love your pastoral pictures. And how come you don't have any from your treadmill?
Have a wonderful weekend.

Char said...

Tour de Farms sounds like a great way to spend some of the weekend. A bit of relaxed exercise and sampling local produce - what could be better? And let's all face it when you exercise, the food comes guilt-free.

Fran said...

Another blogger, Lori, who doesn't live to far away from you did a Tour de Farm this year too and judging on the photos she posted: it is great so have fun!

I love it where you can run, it's so beautiful, I would enjoy every run outside and don't use the dreadmill ever again.
Oh wait: I'm not using that anymore :)

Have a great weekend Andrea.

Black Knight said...

So you prefer the treadmill, don't you? For me it is always the last chance.
The Tour de Farms sounds like a wonderful way to enjoy a ride and spend a nice morning (even if I am teetotal).

Alisa said...

Gorgeous!