Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Another Non Running Post

Books Books Books


I have got so much to read right now.  I wish we had "reading days" built into our contract so we could stay home and read.  I have four books out of the library including State of Wonder by Ann Patchett. I have just started reading this and it has already caught my attention.

I also have The Accident by Linwood Barclay. It is a thriller and looks rather good.  I can't remember where it was recommended.  If I like it there are other books by the same author always a plus.

 Another library choice is Emily and Einstein which sports a dog on a park bench on the cover and yes I DO choose books by their covers. Books about dogs always appeal to me even though I am a cat person 100%.  The other one looked good when I took it out - by JA Jance but I haven't started it yet.

I just finished the second book in The Hunger Games trilogy and will need to get the third one when I go to work tomorrow. I'll fight the fifth and sixth graders to check it out first!




I also went to Borders the other day and bought 10 books at 70% off. Some were books that appealed to me that day.  Others were books I have been wanting to get by authors I like or people had recommended them. One of those was Mothers and Daughters by Rae Meadows.  I also picked up books with weaving and knitting being major themes - those themes fit  me as well as dog books do.  Speaking of which I just noticed another book has sewing in the title????? Many of the books are about family relationships including Losing Charlotte which I have been eyeing for awhile.


My gym bag book is about running a marathon on all 7 continents. I like it but don't love it so far. It is very easy to leave in my gym bag and save it to read when I can at the gym.  But it may get better!  I have  a few other running books to get to and I also got the book about Matt Long when it came out in paperback.  Can't wait to read that one.

Choices, choices, too many choices!!

Plus I have other new books I have not gotten to yet and I have all kinds of books I want to reread!  And my Amazon cart is full of books I just might decide I can't live without.

I am always looking for recommendations of books so let me know if you are reading something wonderful please let me know!

Happy reading!


And thanks so much for all the heartfelt and thoughtful comments on my last post.  I heard from people I have never heard from before. Thank you all of you for taking the time to comment and share your thoughts with me.  

18 comments:

Ewa said...

I can't wait to finalize our homeschooling schedule so I can immerse myself in reading. Whom, am I kidding, I will be stealing moments here and there to read a few pages here and there. Still, it will be better than nothing.
I am certainly going to check your selection. My son read all three of Susanne Collins series (I read only two) and declared the first one, The Hunger Games as best.
Happy reading to you.

Kandi said...

I got the first Hunger Games book at Borders a few weeks ago but haven't started it yet. I have been reading more books lately than ever though so I'll get there. I just got a Dean Karnazes book for 70% off at Borders and a few other books. All of the books you mention in this post look appealing to me. Do you sew/knit/crochet? Or do those books just appeal to you in a way the dog books do?

Christina said...

I want to sit and read ....
I just don't have the "right spot" just yet ....
Argh!!! I miss my old "right spot" at my old house ....

Tortuga_Runner said...

I could totally use a reading vacation. I have so many I want to read, but very little time these days. I loved the Hunger Game Trilogy. LOVED IT! So go out there and tackled, knock down and pull hair if you have to, to get the book before the 5th and 6th graders. LOL

Johann said...

I love books and reading but never get to it. Lately I use books more for reference than anything else. I Have many running books and all kinds of nature books (animals, plants, flowers, insects and stuff like that). I'm always busy with something in those books, but reading a book from cover to cover never happens.

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

I just finished "I remember nothing" by Nora Ephron. I read it in 2 days. I love her!

Karen said...

Looks like some great choices! I agree with you on the covers. Sometimes the can cover can help me make a decision about a book if I am on the fence. I love using Amazon's wish list to help me remember books that I want to read. I have to go in and clean it out every once in a while when it takes me so long to get to the book that it goes out of print!

Christi said...

I love reading but I haven't been doing it lately. I guess I should get back to it!

Lindsay said...

I haven't been good about reading... Read a couple books on vacation and have been too busy since! I did read "the lemon tree", another non-fiction about life in the middle east -- specifically the friendship between an Arab and a Jew during the never-ending war they have. It was OK - not something I finished in one night (probably bc of how unfamiliar I am with the fact those people have been at war for decades, including our lifetime) but I thought it was good.

Now I have "run like a girl" and "the art of racing in the rain" (a dog on the cover!) I can't remember if you've already mentioned that one though...

Anyway some of these sound good! Will add them to my ever-growing list... :)

misszippy said...

Love reading. My Kindle has been a blessing and a curse--I hear about good books and download them so that I have something always waiting for me. But I am on overload--too many books waiting in the wings!

I am reading "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks"--fascinating look at medical ethics from a true story at Hopkins in the 50s.

Marlene said...

This post makes me want to snuggle up and READ!

Char said...

I would definitely read some of those just from their covers alone.

The Jesse said...

i LOVE to read. at any given time i'm usually reading 2-3 books. i love to get lost and engrossed in the stories :)

Kate Geisen said...

I love reading. Haven't read any of the ones on your list right now. I have several that are in my amazon.com shopping cart waiting for me to have a few extra dollars.

And 95% of the books I buy are chosen based on the cover.

Suzy said...

Ooh, you have some good books listed. And (good for me), lots that I have not read!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

I have a bunch of books I want to read, too. I'd also like to run a marathon on every continent, too!

Black Knight said...

A very interesting list.

Amy said...

My son and I devoured the Hunger Games series this summer - loved them!