Sunday, June 21, 2015

First Triathlon of the Season

It's done. It was fun now that I'm looking back on it but I was disappointed with my times.  They were all slow.  No results out yet but when I studied glanced at the results board everything was slow.  I was most disappointed in my bike as it felt good. Oh well. I felt like I put a lot of effort into everything and that is good.

My swim was a debacle.  My goggles fogged up and I was swimming blind particularly once I turned around and was going into the sun. I had to keep lifting them up and I always found myself off course. I am slow enough without swimming extra distance.  I finally put them on my cap and just dealt with having none on.  But it took longer than forever.  The good part is I am fairly comfortable in this lake and knew  basically the course.  Then I ran out and took off my wet suit only to rip it.  Yikes. How much of a disaster is that?  Do people swim with ripped wet suits? I plan to.
I am at the back of this crowd feeling 
very nervous.

I made it. I actually like this pic that
my friend took.


This is early and they have just put out the first buoy.


Transitions.  Yeah, I need some practice there.

The bike felt good. I passed a decent number of people. This was a small race. I took longer than usual but it was fun for sure.  But still disappointed with time.

My happy place.


The run. All my runs are slow these days.  It could have been worse, it could have been better.  I like this run. It's in the shade and not too hilly but near the end you enter the park on a downhill.  I have to say I can't wait to do another one. This left me hungry to do better. This tri is repeated 3 times in the summer. I will be away for the July one but hope to do the August one as long as I am here. I am going to start scouring the internet to find a new tri too.  I have conflicts with the ones I usually do so am looking for a good July one.  
Who doesn't want a pint glass that says 
triathlon champion?



11 comments:

Kate Geisen said...

I hate those races where I feel disappointed with my times. BUT, it's still fun to be out there! And look how far you've come...debacle or not, you handled the issues with the swim and didn't let them get you down or stress you out!

Laurie said...

Congrats! You wouldn't need a wetsuit down here. As a matter of fact, it would probably melt on you. Ha! Nice pictures and pretty lake!

Wendy at Taking the Long Way Home said...

Looks like a great race. I absolutely love your cover photo!

Fran said...

The important thing is that you did it. Not every race can be a PB. I think you did great and hope you find a nice tri for July.

Char said...

Sorry you were disappointed with your times. I've been there so many times I can't count. One of my friends suggested that after a certain age you get to have new PBs every year. Not a bad idea!

HappyTrails said...

You keep getting out and doing it and despite not performing to your desired level, you are still having fun! Looked like a beautiful day in a beautiful area and you got to go to your very happy place - the bike! How in the world did you rip your wetsuit???!!! I know nothing about wetsuits - are they easy to rip???

Amy said...

Bummer about the wetsuit - could you fix it with ducktape?
I hope your disappointment with your times doesn't last too long - you should really be proud of yourself for getting out there and doing this, which in itself is quite an accomplishment! Not to mention you get to do two of your favorite things...

Teamarcia said...

I totally get the disappointment. There was a part of me that was disappointed in my tri too, even though I have nothing to compare it to, I know my swim sucked because I got all up in my head.
I found fingernail rips in my wetsuit too, and I thought I was being careful. Blah. Why are they so fragile? Is yours torn, like a hole all the way through?
Way to score the champion glass! Sweet!

Giorgio said...

What are you talking about? You should be proud of such challenge! Congrats!

Black Knight said...

The finishing time is not important, you did it. How many persons can say: I have done a triathlon?
For instance I cannot say that.

Giorgio said...

Congrats on such a great race!