Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Three Things Thursday A Little Early

1. Within three days three appliances have stopped working.


"Help!  Help! What is happening?"


First the microwave stopped heating.  Fortunately we had one just like someone used at college and we were soon good to go again.

Next the dishwasher washed the dishes but didn't dry them.  So far we've done nothing.  We'll see if it happens again (glass half full) or if we can live with it.

Third the crock pot stopped working.  Dinner was supposed to be cooking away when I realized there was no smell.  A touch to the side determined there was no heat.  The dish is in the oven and a new crock pot will be bought soon.  I can't live in the winter without my crock pot.

So that's three and it should stop now.

2.  The top of my foot was swollen and hurting so I didn't do my run Monday night.  As I thought back I realized I had stopped to loosen my shoelace more than once but it never occurred to me that it would become an injury!  So no run Monday or anything, a swim Tuesday instead of a run and home sick Wednesday so nothing again.  Is this really what I should be doing a week and a half before a half marathon?  I wasn't going to taper because it is just a half on the way to my A race.  I won't run again until Sunday and that will be a week. I'll probably swim tomorrow.  I'm using this sick day as a way to extend my non running time hoping that will get rid of the top of the foot pain once and for all.  I haven't been wearing shoes that tie in a bit so it's hard to tell how it is.  It is definitely better but  I don't want to bring it rushing back.  I could squeeze a run in after my swim lesson on Saturday but I think I'll give it a solid week and then try it again.

3.  The other day a friend kept using the words a false tri or some such nonsense to describe a sprint tri.  She seemed to think it wasn't a real tri. I tried to compare it to a 5K, 10K etc being real races and not false races but she didn't get it.  I had to drop it as it was really irritating me to no end.  When I do my tri believe me it will be  a REAL race.

23 comments:

Char said...

How does that happen with appliances? We've experienced the same phenomenon in our house and it's baffling to say the least.

I totally understand why you'd be annoyed about the 'false tri'. it's like saying that Usain Bolt isn't a real runner cause he only runs 100m

Unknown said...

"false tri" would annoy me too.

We once had our microwave, dishwasher, and dryer go out at the same time. It sucked!

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

false tri? hmmm ....

sorry about the dishwasher not drying though. thats pretty much the only real thing a dishwasher does for me. heating seems to make things more sanitary in my mind. outside of that - i can wash everything cleaner by hand.

we are big crock pot cookers as well. use it at least once-twice a week.

Jill said...

Bummer on the appliances, since things happen in 3s, I'm guessing at least you are good to go now! :)

When I ran the Tucson Marathon, I had an awful pain on the top of my foot. I wanted to stop and retie my lace but didn't want to waste precious seconds so I didn't. Well, that sucker dogged me for a couple months after....but I just moved the tongue on my running shoe way off to the side and put a tiny piece of foam in there and eventually it healed.

Kate Geisen said...

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. :( Boo...but maybe between your foot and taking a sick day, maybe that's God's way of telling you that you should taper after all.

"False tri"? That would irritate me to no end. I guess I should be happy to work around people who think that being able to run around the block is amazing.

Average Woman Runner said...

oh no! Were the micro, dishwasher, and crock pot all on the same electrical circuit? I wonder if there is a connection there - maybe a surge?

Sears has good repair people out here who can fix things up without making you buy knew...

INteresting in hearing your top 3 crock pot recipes!

Amy said...

Oh no - I hate when home appliances start breaking - they always seem to come in groups, don't they?

I hope you are feeling better soon - probably better to have it now than closer to your half...or "false tri"... Jeez, some people really don't get it, do they?

Michael said...

"False Tri" - that's not cool at all. A tri, is a tri - swim, bike, run, you do all 3 it's a tri - it doesn't mantter how many miles or whether the swim is in a pool or outside....a tri is a tri!!

Sorry about the appliances - that sucks!!

Fran said...

False tri? What a crap. That would mean we all had to run marathons because otherwise it's a false race. Or we would all have to do the Tour de France when we bike. Absolute nonsense!

Bad things always comes in 3 and for your appliances that's really true.

Don't worry about the race. You have enough base to run it even if you don't run that much 2 weeks before it. I believe in you.

Kandi said...

Three appliances in three days is crazy!
Hope your foot feels better. I don't think the week off will affect you. I took a week off two weeks before a 15k and I had a much better race than I thought. I think the time off helped, actually.
I would be annoyed if someone called the sprint tri I signed up for a false tri. That's crazy. Is this person a triathlete? Or someone who doesn't do anything? Seems like an insensitive thing to say.

Christi said...

I have had two cars decide to break at the same time and it sucks! I feel your pain on the appliances.

False tri? WTH!!! Every tri is real.

Black Knight said...

We say: the troubles never come alone!
I agree, I also don't taper before a half; the only precaution is to slow down the pace during the last workout before the event.

Lindsay said...

Any Tri is a Tri to me! That friend doesn't know what they're talking about ;) at least they weren't big ($$$) appliances? Hope you have no more electrical woes this year.

Katie said...

swim bike run = tri. how rude!

Liz said...

With all the long runs in you've obviously got a great fitness base for your half - good luck with the foot thing too!

Jill said...

A fake tri...even if I train with all 3 sports in the same day...I would consider that a real tri. People are weird. That would bug me too.

So sorry to hear about all the appliances, when it rains, it pours, why is that. Let us know how all that turns out.

Hope your foot gets better.

The Jesse said...

Dang - the microwave, dishwasher, and crock pot? That's so strange. But things happen in three's so you're right, it should be over now. Still, so weird.

HappyTrails said...

Bummer about the flailing appliance syndrome.

False Tri? - sounds like someone has some insecurity issues. There will always be those, but it seems that group is a wee bit more uptight than a lot of other sports....

Hope that foot is better!

Lily on the Road said...

Well, that just proves everything happens in 3's.

as for the tri, if you ever put three things together, in sequence, it is a TRI. Harumph!

How is your foot? that is wild that is so swollen...hope you are doing better.

Marlene said...

"False" tri? That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. There is no point arguing with some people. It's real, trust me!!!

Hope you feel better, and that there are no more casualties in your kitchen.

Johann said...

Take care of that foot. I had to change my shoe model once years ago because of a pain on top of my foot. Haven't had problems since then. I would be just as irritated by the false tri thing. Have a good weekend!

I Run for Fun said...

I think appliances talk to each other! They must be!

What does she mean, not a 'REAL' race? That sounds ignorant. When I completed my first and only tri, it certainly felt like I'd completed a half marathon.

MCM Mama said...

OK, the false tri comment would totally irritate me!

And we never use the dry feature on our dishwasher. It's an energy suck. I just let things air dry. Hope all your appliances behave now.