Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Couple of Runs, A Few Monuments and Several Yummy Treats

My favorite route in DC definitely was the 5 mile loop along the Potomac and past the monuments. I did that 5 out of 6 of my runs.  Monday and Tuesday were extremely humid but I got up earlier each day and it helped.  I also liked not having to battle the crowds so much.  Monday I ran by myself but Tuesday Em came with me for my last run before catching a plane home.  I will miss that run and running with my daughter as much as I love my own very different runs at home.  But I have to say I won't miss the humidity. I arrived home to wonderful temperatures and very low humidity. I'll take it.
Monday's Run

This is the Washington Monument reflected
on the Vietnam Wall.






Tuesday's Run





But running isn't the only thing the sweaty daughter and mom did together.  I discovered cupcakes are not the only thing I love in DC.  FroYo!  We went twice and had we gone sooner the number may have been higher.  The first time we went I got too many flavors and too many toppings.  I had more of a plan for the next trip.  I got vanilla yogurt, raspberries (lots), strawberries, chocolate chips and hot fudge.  YUM!  Emily still got about 1000 toppings on hers.  


After the FroYo we attempted a visit to The American History Museum but it was more than a little crowded.  You couldn't get near anything and after one floor  we left.  We headed home walking in spite of the heat with one more photo op near the White House.  Once home I went out on the balcony to read - also the sight of our nightly games.  Last night there we played Phase One and though it looked good for awhile I did not win.  Oh well, I had a wonderful time in DC and leaving was bittersweet. I love coming back to my husband and Vermont but I also miss DC.







14 comments:

Unknown said...

i like the photo of the washington monument in the reflection.

and mmmmmmmm yogurt yumminess!

Anne said...

Sounds like the perfect way to spend time away...running, spending time with your daughter, eating froyo, reading...and visiting! Excellent :)

Jenn said...

My word, you really have the perfect life! Glad you had such a great trip!

Johann said...

You always post these photos that make my son go ballistic! He can’t stop talking about the DC photos. All the things he always sees on TV and in the movies are featured somewhere and he loves it. Thanks!

Fran said...

What a great trip this has been for you. I loved all the photos you posted.

I've read Emily's post about you and you are such an awesome rocking Mom!

Have a safe trip home Andrea.

Giorgio said...

Running past the monuments is always exiting! Beautiful photos!

christa said...

Awesome pictures!! I'm really sorry I can't run with you on Saturday :(
when's the Zoe's race?

Marlene said...

MMMM froyo. You definitely earned it with those runs!

Hope you had a safe trip home!

Laura said...

So glad you had such a great trip.
I have to stop myself from going to the local froyo place...too much of a habit of late...

Lindsay said...

I get easily distracted at froyo places - putting too many flavors and toppings and ultimately setting myself up for disappointment. Yes all those things are delicious. Just not necessarily in one bowl together. I have to pre-plan my desired theme - Banana pudding, chocolate heaven, fruity goodness.... No more "suicide" froyo with every option.

Kandi said...

Love all your photos. Especially the reflections. Beautiful.

Char said...

It's lovely to see the relationship that you have with Emily. You can see the love, friendship and mutual respect.

LookingUpAgain said...

Lovely photos! Glad you enjoyed your trip :) I can't wait to run there some day!

Katie said...

my frozenyo is always: tiny bit of yogurt, MASS PILE OF TOPPINGS!