Sunday, March 6, 2011

Winter winter go away

Saturday was pace run day, not my favorite.  Two times ago in the plan when I was supposed to do this it was extremely slippery. Last time I was racing and counted that.  This time my only excuse was my side.  It is improving but man are the increments tiny!  So T and I headed out, planning to run 5 with the last mile being the cool down.  The weather this weekend was supposed to be horrendous with today being very windy and rainy. Well it was not windy and there was only a small amount of rain.  The first 2 1/2 miles of our run are slightly uphill.  My splits were 9:46, 10:06, 9:46 and 9:07.  Loved it once I turned around. My overall pace was 9:42 and I was shooting for 9:30. So I am getting closer.

Then I headed into school, worked to get ready for parent conferences (I will be at school late Monday and Tuesday doing these.  At least I hope I will.  8-16 inches of snow are forecast for Sunday into Monday. I do NOT want a snow day. I do NOT want a snow day)  and came home and napped. Truthfully my throat hurts but I am not going there.  I have been sick often enough this winter.

Saturday night my hubby and I used a GC from Emily and headed to a local well known restaurant with friends. We always sit in the bar and do casual food here.  My friend's husband was beyond thrilled to have a favorite beer now on tap (something with Shed in the name?, not sure).  I ended up getting two beers free because they were switching kegs and it took awhile. We all had burgers.  I never have burgers at home but there is something so satisfying about them when you go out.  Then the owner of the restaurant told us to help ourselves at the chocolate buffet for free. Actually she offered any dessert but the chocolate buffet was yelling to me!  Yum, yum and more yums and man was I stuffed!

Today's run was 10 miles.  T said the weather wasn't bad - my thought was compared to what?  Yes  it could have been worse but it was pretty crummy.  It was windy.  It rained the entire time. At times the wind was blowing the rain right at us.  It was more than 40 degrees though so at least it wasn't cold.  By the time we were done I could not wait to get out of my very wet clothes.  I was glad to be done for the week.

I spend some time today packing for when I go to see Em.  This is going to be  a very busy week so I wanted to get it basically done. It is hard to know what to pack for the weather.  I also just realized I packed for a race but not green. It is a St. Paddy's Day race.  I am not sure I have a green shirt but I may need to rethink this.  I can only quickly think of a long sleeve cotton shirt I got in the race I did last year.
While packing I was looking for my waist pack.  My break from running last year has made me lose things as I wasn't using them for awhile.  I finally found it in about the third place I looked. Not bad.

I realized I needed some stuff at the drug store so I headed to town before the roads got any worse.  I quickly found what I was looking for. Then I saw them.  The jelly beans I like - Brach's spicy jelly beans.  At one point I had 3 bags in my hand. I ended up leaving with just 2.  An improvement, give me credit. I am not a big candy eater but I love these jelly beans!  I haven't opened them yet. Such control!

Have I mentioned the weather?  It is crazy snowing out. They have upgraded it to a possible 20 inches.  No, no and no!  But no one is listening to me.  People are always complaining about the weatherman getting it wrong. Truthfully I am amazed at how often they are right.  Today it was predicted to change to snow at 1:00. Well, guess what happened at around 1:00?  Yup, it changed to snow.  But the 20 inches ...........please please be wrong!  There are also flash flood warnings which is very believable as the river is crazy wild!

Last thing, any recommendations for touristy things in DC I can do while Emily is working. Even if I don't get to them this time I will another. I have done a lot of the usual things so am looking for some suggestions that aren't as obvious. Or just tell me your favorite usual ones. I'll go back and take another look!

@#$%  Just got the call.  School is cancelled tomorrow.  Making up parent conferences/rescheduling them will be a bear.  I wanted them all done before I went to DC. That is not happening now.

Last summer in DC.  It was very hot and I think
it was my third run of the day.


21 comments:

Suzy said...

Wow, school is already cancelled there? Amazing. We'll probably have school here tomorrow because they have no idea if we are getting rain, snow, ice or all of them. Have a great trip to DC!

LookingUpAgain said...

Boo! Sorry school is cancelled. I'm sick of winter! Go away snow!!!!

MCM Mama said...

I'm so over winter and it's nothing like your weather around here.

Have you been to the American Indian museum? That one is newish and interesting. The Holocaust museum is incredible, but really emotionally intense. I've heard good things about the Newseum, but haven't been. Also, the tower at the Old Post Office Pavilion has some of the best views of DC.

When are you here? I might be able to meet up with you when Em is working...

Ewa said...

I know you are frustrated but think, you can stay in bed for most of the day drinking hot chocolate (or other choice beverage) reading books, and I do know you like reading.
Enjoy your day off.

Molly said...

well, maybe you should have bought that third bag of jelly beans....it's snowing here too, I'm about to lose my mind.

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry your having to deal with all that weather. I hope you can smell the spring air soon! When I go to DC I go to all the art museums but that's what I like to see. You should go running, DC has a huge running community and is supposed to have some nice trails.

Jill said...

I think Mother Nature is paying you back for that chocolate buffet you indulged in!!!

Char said...

Winter didn't get the memo - it's time to move on and give another season a go.

Fran said...

I think all my blogger friends who still have snow have to catch a plane and come over here for a visit. We are having the most beautiful weather: sunshine, sunshine, sunshine.

Your dinner date with friends sounds great.

Kandi said...

I'm so glad we only got a dusting of snow (after a TON of rain).
Have you ever been to the Spy Museum? It's pretty cool but you have to pay to get in. Also, I saw someone mentioned the Newseum. Also very cool but I think that one costs even more. I went on the free day when they first opened.

Michael said...

I willl stop complaining about my weather now. Wow that stinks to still be getting so much snow. Enjoy your trip and time with your daughter - I have never been to DC so no sites to offer. And a free chocolate bar....I think I would have thought I had died and gone to heaven :)

middleagedrunner said...

I feel the pain of the horrible weather too.. We avoided the massive dumping of snow but got 3" rain and now it's a sleety icy MESS! No school around here either- the kids will be in school until july at this rate..
Sounds like a great dinner date! I love a good burger too.

Liz said...

Sorry to hear about the snow. Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a great time in Washington as usual. Enjoy the running - great splits, by the way!

Steel Springs said...

Your dinner out sounds wonderful! All of the extra freebies are really fun.

I'm sorry about the bad weather and the hassle of rescheduling conferences! I hope you're able to get them all made up without too much trouble.

Freedom Park near Roslyn Metro is small, but definitely worth a visit. It's a memorial to journalists killed on the job. There are also other displays, like pieces of the Berlin Wall. We also enjoyed walking down Embassy Row on Massachusetts Ave. The National Japanese American Memorial is also out of the way interesting. A large part of the memorial is dedicated to the internment of Japanese Americans in WWII.

Christi said...

I love Starburst jelly beans. That is like my crack!

Jenn said...

20 inches!!!!! What a bummer about rescheduling conferences. I am so sick of winter. It is -20 here this morning and it's MARCH!

I never eat burgers at home. I love Bar burgers and tap beer! Chocolate buffet!!!

Great job on the runs! Hope you have a blast in DC.

Marlene said...

Sorry about the weather interfering with your schedule! I am sooo over winter. Hope it is not too much of a nightmare re-scheduling, and good luck with your busy week before heading to DC!

Joanne said...

This weather is getting pretty old at this point isn't it?! We were snowed under today as well. Where is SPRING?! Can't wait to run in 50 degrees, sunshine and clear roads. It's just around the corner. :)

HappyTrails said...

Ick - when someone like you (who generally likes snow and cold) is ready for winter and snow to be done, it is bad! We are SO spoiled here in CO - we moan and groan about our mild winters but you really have WINTER! Spring is just around the corner - keep your chin up!

Giorgio said...

Great job on the runs! I'm sorry about the bad weather. Hope you'll have a sunny week soon :)

LisaMM said...

Hello!! I looked around your blog to find an email address but can't find one. There's something I want to ask you but not publicly! Could you possibly email me at lisamunley@ca.rr.com? I'm so impressed that you took up running at 50.. gives me hope!