Sunday, August 22, 2010

Running and Biking this Weekend

Yesterday - Saturday - was a gorgeous day with perfect temps.  I had the go ahead from my chiropractor to run 6 miles at a time to get ready for my relay next Saturday. I seem to be running really slowly.  Getting used to orthotics is a whole thing in itself.  But T showed up at 7 a.m. and off we went. The 6 felt great.  When we got back to my house I had a quick chocolate milk and changed my clothes.  I was sweaty from my run and didn't want to head out on the bike wet.  As it was I could have had another layer on as it was definitely cool on the bike.  We did the same 12 we have done before but we did it in the opposite direction.  Man oh man it made a difference. It is hilly no matter what but yesterday we headed up this hill you see me running down.  That hill continues up for a ways.  We turned right less than 2 miles up but it was a workout.  Many hard core riders continue up over the gap, down the other side and up and down another gap.  Wow!  I thought just our short section was hard. So then we were headed in the opposite direction on all the dirt roads.  I did not feel we were able to take advantage of the downhills as the gravel was too loose, blind curves, lurking dogs etc.  Going in the other direction is not only easier on a bike but more fun!  But I did feel like I had  a great workout. I was whipped.  I came home and finished a book, watched some West Wing and took a nap.  I really accomplished nothing.  Oh well.  That will happen today.  I thought maybe I would run and bike again today but it was POURING. So we ran the 6 miles again today and got completely soaked. I don't mind - in fact I like - running in the rain but I had no desire to take my bike out.  

My heel is sore, too sore I don't know.  I had to take my hubby to Btown to pick up a car so I went to Ski Rack to pick up Gus etc. for next Sat.'s relay. Then I went to Barnes and Noble to use some gift cards.  I bought the Wicked CD because I will be seeing Wicked over Labor Day weekend in Boston! Woo Hoo!  I also bought a new book on Running Injuries Treatment and Prevention by Jeff Galloway and someone else.  I liked the format and thought it might be handy to have around.  It may be putting the cart after the horse at this time but may help in the future. I know you can find all kinds of info on line but in my opinion there is nothing like a book in hand to leaf through, look at and go back to.

Has anyone who has seen Wicked read the book?  I have it, tried to get into it several years ago and couldn't. Should I try again?

So this week I had 49 miles on the bike and 16 miles running.  

If you live in one of the four states having a primary this week be sure and 

20 comments:

HappyTrails said...

Glad you were able to run. You might keep a little bit of bike fitness every once in a while once you are "heeled" - the bike comes in handy for fitness when you can't or don't want to run. Have a great week!

Julie said...

Woo hoo for getting out on a nice 6 mile run!! Also, nice job on the bike ride too! Hills are tough that is for sure...funny thing, if I run on a flat surface for over 1 mile I am starting to think the run needs a little hill action:) Go figure! Stay healthy and stay injury free. Take care of yourself!

LookingUpAgain said...

Great job on the miles this weekend. I'm becoming a lazy sloth again and need to get my butt back out there.

I have read Wicked and enjoyed it, though I did find it to be really strange. My mother and I did a girls' weekend a few years back and saw the show in Chicago. We loved it!!!! They took out a lot of the really weird stuff from the book and I thought it was more enjoyable. Plus the music is fantastic!!!!

Anonymous said...

You are doing great with the biking and running! Looks like a pretty area to be in. :) We have our primaries this week here in AZ too.

Your question about pictures...no, I didn't take any pics this time. I'm having camera issues- boo!

Ewa said...

Hope your heel starts behaving really soon. I admire how you can still get your workouts in.
Hills on bike can be a murder. A number of times when I was running I would pass bikers working their way up a hill. Of course they would catch up quickly on the flat part.

misszippy said...

Sounds like a great weekend to me!

I read wicked and really enjoyed it. Have not seen the show though, so can't give you perspective on that. Should be a great one, though!

Patrick Mahoney said...

Sounds like a great weekend of training..

Char said...

I've seen Wicked but haven't read the book. It's fantastic! You'll love it.

Fran said...

What a great workout on Saturday!

I don't mind running in the rain either although I find it hard to start in the rain but once I'm on my way I don't mind. Better than running in the heat.

Marlene said...

Nice running and biking this weekend! A book and a nap sounds like a nice Saturday afternoon to me. ;)

Claudia said...

Great job with the run!!

I have a confession I haven't actually ran in the rain yet. I like running when it's cold but not sure how I feel about running in the rain.

I really want to see Wicked, I've heard so many great things about it.

Katie A. said...

You did great this weekend running AND biking!! I'm so impressed ;)
I read Wicked when it first came out and I enjoyed it - but not enough to get the other couple of books in the series. The musical is just fantastic but not reading the book won't rob you of it's awesomeness. I went with my mom and sister to see it here in SF and neither read the book but enjoyed the musical just as much as me. So...I guess if you have time to read it before, give it a shot. But if you have other books you're more interested in, go with those - you're not missing anything ;)

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Glad you can bike which I s'pose isn't bothering your heel, but I hope your heel stops bothering you soon. Nice new picture on your blog!

Johann said...

Good to see a running photo of you! Also well done with the biking, you are very dedicated. Yeah for the chocolate milk. Take care of the heel. I must admit I'm scared of orthotics. Luckily I've never needed any.

Suzy said...

So glad that your miles felt great!

Running in the dark on a treadmill isn't the same as running outside in the dark. The treadmill gives off light and there is usually some ambient light from adjoining rooms, so it is never pitch black. Even so, lots of people are afraid of falling off the back. The first few times I held on to the front bar of the treadmill to make sure I was fine. Now, I just trust my cadence and foot falls to be right where they should be (I've been doing this for ~four years now) and I've never gone off the back of a treadmill. It is a different experience to run on a treadmill in the dark.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are running, especially up a killer hill! I hope the orthotics will work for you. I go a pair last year, I really just wanted them for non-running, but the chiro convinced me once I got acclimated to them I'd be much better off. I eventually stopped running in them (I was soooo slow) and now use them non-running and I love them that way. Hopefully they will work for you, I just wished your heel felt better, hopefully soon!! I'm really glad you are back running! ;)

Colleen said...

Just found your blog and you are awesome!!

I saw Wicked and read the book, and let me tell ya, the musical is SO MUCH BETTER! The book is weird and dirty and made me want to take a shower...it's so unlike the musical.

Tricia said...

hey-I'd love to answer your questions on my experience with the orthoics/reasons why and all. Shoot me an email: enduranceisntonlyphysical@gmail.com

Emz said...

Love all the biking you are doing!!!
And
I must get myself one of those shirts!!!
Awesome!!

Fruit Fly said...

I've been a life long Wizard of Oz fan. We have a room that is pretty much all Wizard of Oz... yet I have never read, seen nor listened to Wicked. I feel like a bad fan. I should give it a chance I suppose!