Thursday, January 26, 2012

Three Things Thursday Eating, running, swimming

1. I wish I was as a dedicated healthy eater as I am an exerciser. Nothing gets in the way of my getting my workout in.  I just do it. No excuses.

 But as far as eating goes I can find many reasons to be less than good.  Part of my problem is I am either great or terrible without a lot of middle ground.  "I had a piece of cake so I might as well eat  a lot of other stuff I don't usually eat for the rest of the day."  Now I am a fairly intelligent person so I can see why this is a bad idea on so many levels but truthfully it is how I operate.  Right now I am in a totally eat what I should frame of mind.  I generally count points (WW).  Here are a few examples of my "goodness."

 Monday lunch was provided at school for teachers. I brought my own from home.
Snacks being shared and passed around at meetings - no thanks not even a bite.
We went to a party where there were many good things to eat. I only had veggies.

Part of the reason I do this is because I know once I go "off" it's all over for a little while. Stupid stupid stupid!  But when I am in this frame of my mind I have a great time sticking to eating well and enjoying how my clothes feel.  Mind you I am not wearing many of my pants yet but the ones I am wearing are comfortable again!  I just need to keep it up.  And if I have a piece of cake, oh well, don't blow the day!

2.  Can I say that once again I am having some great treadmill workouts? Wed. night I ran 6 + miles on the treadmill increasing the speed with each song farther "up" than usual.  Monday night I had an awesome speed workout on the treadmill.  And tonight another awesome run on the TM.  My TM runs are much faster than my runs outside, mainly because I set them that way.  I have a race in a week and a half and I need to see if I can actually get up a little speed in the great outdoors!

The only thing that almost interfered with a great TM run was the last two days when I went to work out someone was on MY treadmill!  Fortunately each day the other person got off within 3 minutes. Was it the scowl on my face?  The tears running down my cheeks?  It doesn't matter.......I could use MY treadmill after all.


3. Tuesday I swam a mile.  I wasn't fast and I'm sure it didn't look good but I had a blast.  There was one other guy there and myself and then he was gone.  Once I was done and showered there were about 8 people in the pool so I was thrilled I had timed it so well.  I'm relaxing a little (for now) about my swim in the tri but I'm sure my anxiety will heat back up.  I know I can swim it though. The next question to resolve is whether I need to try and get a wet suit.

I am thinking I am going to have a snow day tomorrow!  I brought home things I need to work on over the weekend in case. It is a pretty lousy forecast and not changing.  Fingers crossed and pajamas will be inside out!

17 comments:

Liz said...

You swam a mile??! That's an awesome achievement - well done! Glad you are enjoying the swimming a bit more.

I am the same as you with eating. I find working out easy to get motivated about, but I'm a totally unhealthy eater. I just love bad food.

Karen said...

A MILE??? You swam a mile??? So proud of you! You have come such a long way in such a short time. NICE JOB!

Teamarcia said...

We are sisters in food. I too am an all or nothing girl and just can't seem to keep up good eating like I can the exercise part of the equation.
You are the total bomb with all this swimming.

Alas I am not signed up for RnR Dublin but I just renewed my passport and I'm itching to do something overseas.

Kate Geisen said...

You are doing SO WELL with the swimming! Seriously...I hope you keep looking back and seeing when you could only swim a lap or two without needing a break. :)

I'm with you on the food. When my discipline is "on", it's on. As soon as I slip, I'm off the edge of the cliff. I've been doing terribly lately; combination of no sleep, stress, and eating crappy stuff (way fewer veggies than usual). You sound like you're keeping ahead of yourself. Way to go!

I hope you get your snow day. I'm actually in a position where I'm hoping against snow days just because I have never missed so much work in a month except for on maternity leave.

2 Slow 4 Boston said...

Good job on the mile swim. Sounds like your workouts have been good. Too bad your weather isn't better.

Kell said...

You inspire me with all of your running/biking/swimming! I'm counting on at least a delay tomorrow :)

Jill said...

Um, did I write this post or did you? LOL, I am exactly like that with food. It's easier to just stick to a stricter plan sometime than to let a little bit in! I do w.w. online but haven't been faithful about tracking!

Way to go on the swim! Awesome job!

christa said...

I'm a dedicated wine drinker. I wish I wasn't. I too can be all or nothing with the food...
Way to go on the swim!!

Char said...

You swam a mile. I'm so excited for you. That's huge progress.

Black Knight said...

You are working well, one mile swimming and speed on the treadmill. The dreadmill is my nightmare, the last time I used it was in China last year.

Suzy said...

A mile of swimming seems like a whole lot to me! Way to get it done. I don't know how much snow you are getting, we are deep in rain and freezing rain here and it is ugly outside.

Kandi said...

I'm very impressed with your mile swim! I almost went to a pool this week to swim for the first time in ages but it didn't pan out. I know I wouldn't have made it a mile though - not even close.
I know what you mean about trying to eat healthy. I have been trying really hard for the past month and do alright but I do splurge on things sometimes and maybe more often than I should.

Christi said...

Congrats on your mile swim!

The Jesse said...

Congrats on your swim!

I am the same with with food/my eating. All it takes is one little slip up to set me off so I just try to remain mindful and stay on track. I wish it wasn't so hard!

Laura said...

A mile...holy crud. I doubt I could do a lengthy..seriously.
I used to be all or nothing with food but think I have conquered it. I hope...

Fran said...

We have the same "problem" with the food thing. Best for me to do is not to eat at parties too because I let go of everything.

Congrats on swimming a mile! That's so great. Don't worry about how it looks. Who cares what others think and you can't see it yourself so why bother. Just go out there and swim.

Have a great weekend.

Jennifer said...

Excellent job with the workouts!