Sunday, January 15, 2012

Brrrrrrrrr

Last week I may have called myself a wimp for using the treadmill during the week but on the weekend I am anything but.  T and I got out there today in very cold weather. The thermometer said - 3 degrees shortly before she arrived.  We were both layered up and headed out to run 10 miles with no thought of changing the distance.  It was manageable for the first 5 miles. We did lots of chatting with just a few mentions of cold toes or fingers.  The picture below was taken just before the half way point.

Once we ran around the corner at the halfway point we were both complaining a good deal more.  You will see below I have my face covered and I pulled my hood up over my hat. I was trying to use the finger things that come down over your hands as well as my mittens.  I never removed any of this  and pretty much froze the rest of the way.  The last two miles were brutal as it was when the "tireds I want this to be done" hit.  Once home it took forever to warm up.  I am still rather tired and just a bit lame from my swimming yesterday.




Speaking of swimming thanks to all of you who gave me sympathy and suggestions on yesterday's whiny post.  I am still discouraged although I am trying not to be. I won't get in the pool again until Thursday because of some meetings I have this week.  I plan to practice what I was told and concentrate on my legs. And I will try to find some patience.  In the meantime I will remember what Kate, who is much smarter than I,  said in her comment: .you just have to be able to not drown for your tri...anything more is gravy. :)   Because that is a quote I suspect I will refer to frequently it is now the quote in my header.  Of course I would like to be faster and more efficient. I don't plan to stop swimming anytime soon because I love it, at least I used to before yesterday, so I want to be a better swimmer whether I am training for a tri or just enjoying a good workout.  But as Kate said as far as the tri goes, the big picture is I just have to be able to not drown!

19 comments:

Amy @ Juice Boxes + Crayolas said...

You are a rock star for getting out there in such mega cold weather! I wimp out when it's single digits, much less negatives!

That "just don't drown" advice is what I know will get me through swim training for my upcoming tris--I'm working on my freestyle as well, but at the end of the day I'm okay with a dog paddle if it gets me through! :) Hope you have a successful, encouraging swim this week!

Kate Geisen said...

Oh my gosh...I love it!! You are awesome, and of course I thought that even before you quoted me in your blog. I know you well enough by now to know you aren't going to stop until you're feeling much more comfortable with your swimming...and then look out!

Great run! I had better get my rear in gear and start training againor I'm going to be introuble come that April race. I need a triple serving of your discipline.

Jill said...

Just remember all those runs that were tough when you first started out (and runs that are still occasionally tough...like this last one??), but you kept going and eventually got the hang of it. The swimming will get there, too!

Yeah, -3 and I'm inside on my treadmill with the space heater on me. I ran yesterday in 21 degrees and was complaining HUGELY - ha! Nice job sticking with that, you are awesome!

Michael said...

That's great swimming advice for your first tri....trust me. That run looks miserable...brrrr is right!!

Ewa said...

I am getting cold just reading your post and looking at your pictures. You are one tough chick! Don't forget to tell your students you ran at -3F. Better yet, take them for a run. ;)
You know we are pretty cold here in the morning too. Tomorrow they promise 34F. :)))))

Jill said...

Beautiful pictures and I can't believe you ran in that COLD weather...Brrr! Way to go.

Oh swimming. It can be exhausting. I just joined Masters Swim and I love it, but it makes me so tired...more than anything else. Just stick with it...you will get better.

You are doing tri's this summer too? I am going to do some and I'm so excited.

Teamarcia said...

Wow -3 is very hardcore--good for you! Don't your eyes just water like crazy with no glasses on?

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

You have braved all kinds of weather! I would never call you a wimp!

Char said...

Talk about committed. You are such a tough nut running in that ridiculous weather.

Amy said...

OMG - that is freaking cold!
Good luck with the swimming - I know with your determination you will be able to do something more than just not drowning!

Fran said...

You're so hardcore Andrea: great job on running in that cold. That's determination and that same determination will get you there to be a better swimmer. Don't give up yet, Rome wasn't build in a day either.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of swimming - it looks like you are swimming in snow!

Liz said...

I'm so glad I don't have to run in that kind of cold. It looks and sounds horrible! You are so tough!

Marlene said...

Way to brave the cold!! We were good and bundled yesterday too, but some parts just would not warm up. Brrr!

Off to catch up on your previous swimming post. Don't give up on it!

Laura said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome...!

Giorgio said...

What a beautiful running path covered with snow! Running in that cold weather is an adventure.

Kandi said...

Way to go on your frozen run! I was complaining about temps in the teens when I ran yesterday.
I like that quote. I think that's why I'm not sweating my tri (yet) because I'm pretty certain I can keep myself from drowning. As far as how fast I can actually swim, that's another thing. I need to get in a pool (but I'm also nervous that getting into a pool with hurt me more than help me.)

Molly said...

I have been a wuss about the weather this week, sticking to the treadmill, you're hardcore!

Hope the swimming goes better this week, you'll find your groove.

Black Knight said...

I would like to try to run in such situation.
Great pics.