The Top Ten Essentials for Biking
Here are my top ten biking essentials. I had a much harder time coming up with 10 running essentials. I quickly came up with 10 here and feel I could easily add another 10. I keep finding more and more things I need for biking. Please tell me what I missed. I know I don't have clipless pedals as I haven't made that leap yet.
1. Got to have a helmet.
2. I need maps. I like to do loops and I like to try new routes. Therefore maps are essential for me.
3. I need a bento box or something to carry my essentials like snacks, ID, camera etc. I love having it right up front so I can take a picture when moving. Of course sometimes the pictures look like I took them when riding.
4. I need padded gloves because my hands get sore especially my left one. I must be doing something wrong but the gloves help.
5. I need a Garmin or bike computer to tell me my distance. I have been using a Garmin and just got a computer. Now I will know so many fun stats!
6. I need rain pants for when I want to ride in the rain - usually for my commute. These are one of the best items I have bought.
7. I need sunscreen for all the time I spend in the sun while on my bike. ( I should have put this for running too as I am a real sunscreen nut.)
8. I need my water bottle. In fact I just added a second cage because one bottle is never enough for longer rides.
9. I need safe roads without too much traffic and wide shoulders. But I often don't have roads with good shoulders to ride on. So I need good ears that hear traffic behind me.
10. I need scenic places to ride. It makes all the difference in the world to me as to how pleasant my ride is. All of these pictures are from Vermont - an awesome state to be a biker in.
11. Okay thought I was done but padded bike shorts are about as essential as you can get for biking.
*** I also need some duathlons but they just don't have them around here.
Tomorrow I am riding a new loop - my longest yet and expect to make good use of all of the above except the rain pants! Happy exercising however you are choosing to do it.