Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Three Things Thursday a little early

1. Great great tempo run on Monday! Where do those come from?  I broke all the rules of training by 3 hard days in a row.  Saturday - pace run  Sunday - long run Monday - tempo run  But my week is insanely busy and that is how it had to be.  The tempo run was effortless in spite of being the third of the hard workouts.  It was 5 in the morning (felt like 4 on the second day of DST) which isn't my time of day. It didn't help that the clocks in the gym actually said 4:00.

2.16, 12 or 10 - the number of weeks most training plans I've found  for a sprint tri.  Any recommendations as to which is best?  Although the ship for 16 weeks has already sailed. Any suggestions for good training plans?  Or I may continue what  I am doing.  That would be swimming 2 times a week with adding a third. I am running 4 times a week and need to cut that to 3 and throw in biking!  I have done none since October. Should I be worried?  I'm not.  Last year I got my bike out over April vacation and entered the duathlon in early June which was about the same distance.  I plan to get it out by early April at the latest and then ride 3 times a week.  I'll see. I am not sure what will be manageable. I hate cutting the running down to 3 days but I think I will need to.  Make that I KNOW I will need to. There is only so much time in a week.

3. I just picked out my March race. It is at UVM this weekend and the tri club is putting it on.  A shamrock shuffle what else on March 17! Jameson is going to run it with me.  My goal will be to beat my Jan. 1 5K time.  I'd like some of those good tempo/pace/speed workouts to translate to a race.  I guess it will depend on me and what I put into it. I have no idea what the course is but there are bound to be hills.

Quick add ons............Only one parent didn't show up for conferences tonight.....progress.........Tomorrow I swim in the morning and get my second lesson in the evening at 7:15. That is about as late as it gets for exercise in my life........I had a colonoscopy on Tuesday and am ever so glad that is behind me now.  Now pun intended...........I had parents suggest I should keep teaching for 7 more years so I can teach their youngest child :)......................I don't know if I should keep reading the book I am reading, The Baker's Daughter, any thoughts?...............I wish the cherry blossoms would slow down because I want to see them at the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler.  Last year when I was in DC at this time there wasn't a cherry blossom to be seen anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13 comments:

Ransick said...

Regarding a Sprint plan, if you can do the distances, 12 weeks is more than enough. As for a good plan, I would say any plan you can make the time to follow is good. I reviewed plans from Gale Berndhardt's book training plans for multisport athletes, free plans at beginnertriathlete.com and trifuel.com then made my own. I like swimming 2x, biking 3x, and running 4x per week when I can fit them all in. Good luck!

Tortuga_Runner said...

I'd spend most of your training on your weakest leg of the race if your goal is just to finish. If you have time goals, then you'll need to be more focused on getting "bricks" in on a weekly basis.

Laura said...

I feel like I have conquered DST by doing 2 insanely early runs this week. I still miss my 1 hr of lost sleep...

Johann said...

I can't help with tri plans although I did a few many moons ago. I have much respect for you doing the swimming and everything. All the best!

Marlene said...

It's funny how there seems to be no rhyme or reason sometimes for a god run or a bad run. Nice job on the tempo! Mornings are extra hard this week.

Darlene said...

Good luck this weekend on your 5K. Fingers crossed for the cherry blossoms but I heard they will peak next week :(

Giorgio said...

What a good tempo run!
Good luck this weekend on your 5K.

Fran said...

You're rocking your runs lately! Awesome!

Can't help you with the training plan because I don't know anything about a tri.

Alisa said...

Since you are already running, biking and swimming and have a great fitness base you would be just fine with a 12 week plan. Anything longer for you would be overkill and unnecessary.

Good luck this weekend with the Shamrock Shuffle. Lots of Shamrock runs around that's for sure. The one in Portland (Oregon, not Maine =)) has three distances 15k, 8k and 5k. However, it's a total cluster as it is the biggest race in town AND the weather is ALWAYS crappy. I've done the 15k twice and the 5k once and I will NEVER do that race again =).

I remember my parents (retired teachers) would always take so much time to prep for teacher conferences and they would always have at least some parents not show up...like you, it tended to be the ones that my parents had already made special arrangements.

A Prelude To... said...

I agree with mike - 12 weeks is plenty for the sprint tri.

It must be very satisfying to have parents suggest that! I imagine you are one of the best!!

Karen said...

Both beginnertriathlete.com and trinewbies.com have good plans. Agree with the first comment, you can do the distances in the run and the bike so I would think a 12 or 10 week plan would be plenty for you.

Char said...

No pun intended on the colonoscopy thing but I laughed anyway. And as far as the triathlon training is concerned - I know nothing but I vote for B.

Good luck with the Shamrock Shuffle. Are you wearing green?

Black Knight said...

A tempo run after a long distance run: you are a super runner!