Thursday, March 8, 2012

Answers to recent comments etc.

1. A sugar house is where they make maple syrup at least around here.  Many of you were curious about sugarhouses and the term was new to you.  This is what I found on a sugar makers (maple syrup) web site.
When you travel to Vermont be sure to include time for visiting sugarhouses - each one is different and has its own personality. From small, traditional sugarhouses deep in the woods to large sugarhouses using equipment with the latest technology, you can watch the pride and care that goes into producing Vermont's first agricultural product of the year.

2. People also commented on my ability to remember all my races in my Race Superlatives post.  Well, of course I can't remember all my races!  I have to admit I have scrapbooks, not the fancy kind - just binders where I keep stats and pictures of my various races.  When my kids were small I had swimming scrapbooks for them where I kept their ribbons and info from all of their swim races. Occasionally they would look up a race they were going to do to see how they did in it the year before but for the most part they couldn't  have cared less.  Now I make my own (because I have become an athlete) and I love it.  I look things up frequently.

3. Also related to my Race Superlatives post - I now remember a boring race. I did one of the winter series races in Albany and you simply ran around the campus (not a pretty campus) twice.  It was so cold I concentrated on keeping warm rather than the boring part I guess.

4. I went swimming this morning and didn't remember much from my swim lesson the other night. At one point I gave up and just swam "the old way' but then I went back to trying what I did remember.  I have only had one lesson. Don't expect too much.  I have only had one lesson. Don't expect too much.  I have only had one lesson. Don't expect too much.  I have only had one lesson. Don't expect too much.  I have only had one lesson. Don't expect too much. 


5. Huge annoyance!  I left my house at 5:30 this morning and returned at 6:45 tonight which is a long day for me.  I had parent conferences after school.  I sent home a sheet asking people to give me 3 choices on the days/times I had listed.  Everyone got one of the top 3, many people got their first choice.  I waited around until 4:30 today before I even had a conference.  That was okay though as I got stuff done I  needed to do. But during the time conferences were scheduled two different sets of parents didn't show up! Really?  You chose a time, I stay late for your convenience and you don't come?????  I could have had the parent who came last much earlier and we both would have gotten home sooner.  GRRRR!

6. Tomorrow I pick Jax up at his doggy day care to take him home. I am on the approved list for picking him up.  Good way to start the weekend.

19 comments:

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

I'm sorry about the PTC meetings! I think a generation of asshole parents was born because I wasn't raised that way but for both big PTC for our kids we've had to wait because other parents were late. wtf. sorry. no respect for anyone!

christa said...

I don't know if I've done a boring race either. I'll have to think about it....
Have fun with Jax tomorrow!

Kate Geisen said...

This fall, after choosing her own date and time, one of my parents called to tell me she couldn't make it and set up a new time (also of her choosing)...which she also missed. In fact, the first time all year that I've seen her was this week when she showed up at her daughter's annual review (also rescheduled twice to accommodate her) to revoke consent for special ed services. I'm very concerned how this little girl is going to do. :(

Johann said...

I is amazing how people disregard other's time. I feel your frustration. I have detailed logs of all my runs and races and have some notes and my finish times for every single race I ran since July 1981.

Fran said...

Jax goes to doggy day care too? Cool, Bella is there right now too. And I have to say it when R. is coming to pick her up otherwise they won't give her to him :)

I hate it when people don't show up at appointments, I also hate it when people are late.

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

my wife left at 6:45 and came home at 6:45. miss miss miss her on days like that.

thx for following my blog!

Darlene said...

Yeah. I was worried because I thought that race was boring. Have fun with your doggy day...are your cats going to be jealous?

misszippy said...

Love that you made the approved list for Jax! So funny.

Ugh--I'd be more than annoyed with those parents too. Respect for others' time, people!

misszippy said...

Love that you made the approved list for Jax! So funny.

Ugh--I'd be more than annoyed with those parents too. Respect for others' time, people!

Teamarcia said...

I was 'that' parent when THing 1 was in 3rd grade. My conference was at 7, I dwelled on it all day, then somehow forgot until 7:05 when I went frantically sprinting in. Never more embarrassed and I assure you I haven't done it since.

Liz said...

Thanks for clarifying about sugarhouses! Great idea for a post!

Christi said...

Have a great time with Jax!

Laura said...

They are sugar shacks in Canada. They sound kinkier that way. :) I used to love going to them as a kid..they would put the hot sap on cold snow and make 'toffee' for us. Heaven..

Marlene said...

Mmmmm fresh REAL maple syrup... sooo good!

Have fun with Jax!

On the Right Track said...

hey there~ I just came across your blog from a friends...I'm a new follower! I, and my husband, are also teachers and cannot, cannot, let me repeat myself...cannot stand when no shows don't even call!!! We spend so much of our time away from our own families...it bothers me. but oh well...i digress!!!

Love your blog...love that you are on an "approved" list to pick your dog up...and love, love, love, maple syrup...YUM!

Kate Geisen said...

I still like to race, for sure. But I definitely have found a love for running (especially with friends) where I can just enjoy the run and going as far as I want to without HAVING to do a certain distance (lazy).

As for the camping, I'm not sure...but I do own a tent and know how to set it up. :)

Anonymous said...

Gosh! It's been way too long since I've read blogs!! Way too long since I've read yours! :(

Jax is sooo cute!

Some of the cherry trees are blooming already, but not the "cherry blossoms" ones, although they are saying they will peak around the 22nd of March! I will be looking and cheering for you when I spectate at Cherry Blossom!!! :) I hope it will be great!

Char said...

As a teacher you have absolutely nothing better to do than to wait around for people to show up do you? I have coffee with a teacher friend nearly every Saturday and the way that parents treat teachers these days can be unbelievable. And funnily enough, the most difficult kids have the most difficult parents.

Kathy said...

That is just NOT alright. My hubby and I positively knock ourselves out to make sure we are BOTH there on time, we had only had superior teachers guiding our kids all these years and we want to make sure that they know we respect them!!
Jax is such a cutie, my Ruby is a Treeing Walker so she looks like a giant Jax - just can't say no to a beagle face!