Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Hard Running, Good Swimming News and a Little Jax

Jax is learning to do some tricks!

Monday I DID NOT WANT TO WORK OUT!  I wanted to go home and curl up in bed with a good book.  But I let my car find it's way to the gym in spite of my desire to go home and the much later than usual start time to my workout.  When I got there a friendly soul asked how I was and I grumbled, "Okay."  Then we both dished over how we didn't feel like being there at all.  People I work with assume I love working out......always! That is so not the case.  At all!  Monday did turn out to be a good workout.....isn't it funny how that often happens?  I ran more miles than usual with no break and felt quite good during the majority of the run and left with that great post workout feeling.  That's why I don't go home and skip the workout.


Tuesday I got up very early and swam a mile. I love getting to the pool early and getting the lane next to the wall.  There were never very many of us and it was 100 times better than my swim last Wednesday evening.  Yet Tuesday night I was back at the same pool of the super sucky swim for my first private lesson. And I loved it.  I felt so different leaving this lesson than I did the group lessons.  I felt like I had hope that maybe at some point I will at least partially get it and be able to swim more efficiently. She started out by telling me what I was doing right - my kick was half way decent and my body didn't have a lot of drag.  Well those are both things I have been working on so yeah me!  She had me do lots of drills and man I have been swimming very incorrectly.  I have a lot to learn but I felt like she gave me some good drills and strategies to learn.  I am overwhelmed with all I need to think about (I have a hard time feeling it and do more thinking) but I also think I will get there. I liked the rolling thing and swimming more on my side but it messed up my breathing. I breathe when? And how often?  My instructor always seemed to have something good to say (a wise woman) before telling me what to work on.  I wasn't going to be able to go next week but I think we figured out a way. My lesson will be a different day at 7:15 at night but I don't want to go two weeks before another lesson.  I went out to my car after and did a voice memo on my phone to help me remember some of the stuff. The instructor is also going to email me some drills.  I bought 8 lessons, the most you could buy at once. The more you bought the cheaper they were.  Well worth it!  My feeling after this lesson could not have been more different than after my group lesson.  I know I swam slower tonight (if that is possible) and have so far to go but it is so wonderful to have someone helping me get there!  

Then I went to see Jameson and Jaxon who I didn't get to see last weekend.  Jaxon excitedly greeted me with several kisses and Jameson let me tell him all about my swim lesson so it was  a short but good stop. 

Wednesday a speed workout on the TM.  Working out after work is hard.  Sorry I know I just said this.  Getting up to swim early is making me tired. I was never willing to get up very often before work for running but I seem to be doing it for swimming.  But I need to start going to bed early.  Sorry if I didn't make it to your post but I'm beat!
Jax still loves me even though I didn't see him last weekend.

18 comments:

Kate Geisen said...

It's ok bc I had nothing new to say. Well, I haven't written it, anyway.

I'm so happy the private lesson went so well! And I hear you about getting up early. I've been getting way more sleep, and today I even woke up at 5, but even though I knew it was nice out and KNEW I'd enjoy the run I stayed in bed and didn't even fall back asleep. Boo me. Tomorrow I'm running at some point.

Teamarcia said...

Wow private lessons? You are driven to succeed! I suppose if I ever took the plunge I'd be a complete blank slate, devoid of any bad swimming habits, or any swimming for that matter.
Awww sweet Jax!

Average Woman Runner said...

Waking up early to swim is an accomplishment. Definitely difficult to work out on both ends of the days - if you do a morning you need to go to bed early and if you work out in the evening you need to sleep in a bit!

Laura said...

I have a hard time looking at pics of the pup...cause it really makes me want to get another dog and we just don't have the time.
Congrats on the lessons..I find one on one for most training is invaluable if you have the right kind of coach.

Johann said...

That post workout feeling never lets you down. Well done with the training. I'm lucky that I'm a morning person and get up easily for my runs. I hope I keep it up through winter this year. I have enough goals to keep me going.

Jill said...

You are doing a great job getting it all in, even when you don't want to. Those tend to be some of the best workouts because they just mentally lift you up when you can physically sweat a bit. That's cool you're taking private lessons :). I know I had to start forcing myself to put the book down and go to bed earlier; not easy but it is really helping.

Keep being strong!!

Fran said...

It looks like Jax is loving his granny as much as Bella does hers.
She's always so extremely happy to see my Mom, we almost get a bit jealous because she hardly ever greets us this way :)

christa said...

Which Edge do you swim at? Sometimes the best workouts are the ones you don't want to do! I signed up for the Shelburne 10k! On March 24

Marlene said...

I am torn over mornings and evenings right now! My schedule is all over the place and I am really struggling with a groove. I definitely do better in the morning, but I just can't seem to make that work right now.

Anyway, nice job on all of the workouts! So glad your private swim lesson was so much better. She sounds like a great coach!

Liz said...

Your swimming instructor sounds great! Glad you are making some real progress with your swimming after all your hard work.

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Yeah for you! Swimming lessons i know would help me. I guess if I ever decided on a Tri, it would be a must. You have inspired me. Yet, maybe not enough to run out Tri today? :) Keep kicking!

Giorgio said...

Glad you're improving your swimming!
Happy 8th to you!

Paul said...

You are gradually getting the swimming thing down! I'm so jealous you can swim a MILE.

I plan on taking some lessons after Eugene ..you heard it here first!

Molly said...

the voice memo was a great idea. I know what you mean about not wanting to work out but then it goes great. I ran 3 miles today FAST, and almost skipped it!

Char said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying your swimming lessons. It makes such a difference when someone can give you personalised attention.

Keep those photos of Jax coming - he's one of the cutest dogs in the world.

Alisa said...

Swim lessons can seem silly BUT they will pay off, eventually, I promise :).

PS Zoey knows how to sit, stay, lie down, dance, roll over, play dead (aka bang bang) and shake. Jax will get there. They always say you can't train beagles...TOTAL LIE! They can be trained if there are enough treats involved.

Ewa said...

A good trainer is worth her weight in gold. I have not been able to find one yet. :( I am sure that after all those drills you will not have to think while you zoom by other swimmers in your tri.
I think Jax ought to move to your house. Don't you?

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Jax is so cute! You'll be so strong with all of the swimming!