My favorite VCM medal ever
Great day - lots of fun in spite of the weather!
Before the race with Sara - what I was going
Jameson's clothing choice - we look like
we're in different climates
I agonized over what to wear but there was no getting it right. With temperatures that stayed in the low 40s and a steady drizzle there was nothing to do but suck it up and be wet and cold! As you might guess the worst part was waiting ahead of time. I was so glad I wasn't doing the second half and waiting around forever!
Jameson's throw away clothes.......
.......although he left on this lovely hat
We went to Jameson's office and used the bathroom and didn't head for the start until we had to where I once again had to go and got in the porta pottie line which was the slowest moving ever. I barely made the start and then..............we were off!
I wore a jacket I would never choose to wear but it was my throw away jacket. Trouble is I never warmed up enough and wore it the whole way so it has lived to be thrown away another day. Same thing with my mismatched gloves. I took them off when I was done and my hands were instantly cold. It's amazing that cold wet gloves provide warmth.
During the race I really wasn't overly cold and there were times it was hardly raining. I didn't see a lot of people I knew. Jameson thought the spectators were really quiet but I was amazed at the number out there on such a miserable day. A friend of mine went and I saw her a couple of times. My husband went and didn't manage to see Jameson or me but earned forgiveness by giving us a ride almost to the finish line to finish watching the race. I had walked to Jameson's after to SHOWER and change my clothes. Most.Wonderful.Move.Ever!
Done......about to take the best shower ever!
I'm rambling so I'm moving on to bullet points about the race.
- I did get a better time than my last two halves although not by a lot. My net time was 2:22 which is about 15 minutes slower than last year here. Yikes. Will I ever get my speed back? My foot/ankle is so much better although after a race like this I notice that it doesn't have the flexibility it should.
- I did have fun. Absolutely. VCM never disappoints.
- My teammate who had never done a half loved it and will surely do more.
Sara rocked it!
- My last couple of miles felt much better than in my last half. I didn't die and I felt quite good even going up the last couple of hills.
- My miles were consistent with most times in the 10s with two in the 11s but low. There was one in the 13s but I had to stop and use the bathroom. And I still beat my last half time. Hated to stop but it was oh so necessary.
- Mile 7 flew by and I was sure Mile 8 was mismarked it came up so quickly. Love it when that happens.
- I was exhausted later in the day. Exhausted. I think my age is showing!
A very similar picture to the one after
Unplugged 6 weeks ago. Love
- It was really strange not to have Emily here. A big hole in the joy of the weekend.
- I love to race.
- GI problems after a race. Yep, that's me these days.
- Watching runners finish a marathon makes me want to do another one.
Incredibly muddy at the finish.....
.....but always beautiful.
- Choices made at My Little Cupcake following the race. Red Velvet, Pumpkin with maple frosting, salted caramel. Hit Miss Hit.
- Three halves in 7 weeks. Now I've got 7 weeks until my next one.
- And triathlon season starts soon. :)
Shirt and medal