Saturday, February 11, 2012

Swimming - Love or Hate?

Dear Swimming,

Have I told you I love you?  I may diss you at times and lament my lack of skills but it is not from lack of appreciation.

Love: When I couldn't run and needed to burn some calories to stay sane, you came forward.  I was happy as a clam to be in the water no matter my lack of skills.  I had so much fun I have kept it up and at first the improvements were huge.  I began to put my face in the water, use rhythmic breathing, increase the number of laps I was swimming, attempt free style...... You get the picture.  My curve of improvement has rapidly slowed and swimming lessons aren't the easy answer I hoped they would be. But the days I swim leave me the happiest to be at work.  I have a much better attitude all day and that good work out feeling follows me around all day.  I may smell like chlorine but it is a small price to pay for that feeling.

Hate: Yet at times I hate you.  When I am at my swimming lesson and it seems to come so easily to everyone else and I am the one who so doesn't get it, it is hard to feel the love.  Why aren't I getting faster?  I am trying to improve but often I don't even understand what is being asked of me.  I do what with my arm?  I am doing what now?  Sure, I'll try that I say without an idea of what that is.  I am not asking to be lightning fast but I'd like to see some improvement.

Love: Years ago as a parent I also loved you.  When my kids were on the swim team I LOVED that everyone got to "play." No one sat on the bench.  Kids measured their improvements against themselves.  The coach never yelled although he wasn't lavish with false compliments either.  How the team did as a whole was never emphasized.

Hate: Today at my swim lesson I worried over "running" into the other guy in my lane.  It interfered with my style which is poor at best.  When the hot speedo clad good looking guy with an accent hopped into my lane I realized that he wasn't paying attention to my swimming before he got in.  We ran into each other as I was on my way back and he told me we should be going up one side and down the other.  Yikes, I was breaking some etiquette rule I didn't even know about.  Thankfully the instructor was right there and piped in and said, "That won't work because one of you is a speeding train and the other is a slow snail you have very different paces so why don't you each stick to one side."  A  master of understatement that swim instructor but thankfully the guy said sure and even with that I managed to run into him a couple of times.

Love: But part of my swimming lesson routine is to visit Jameson and Jaxon after!  That is a love for sure!  Sometimes I do a little shopping afterwards and that is fine too!

My new $17 fun jacket!

I'm not going to stop swimming, I do like it. I'm not going to stop trying to get better for now.  But I'd like to see more of the hate move to the love column.  Come on swimming, work with me a little more.  Reward me for my efforts.

11 comments:

Kate Geisen said...

I hate sharing a lane for that very reason (though a hit speedo guy might be a nice diversion). I always hug the rope big time. Maybe if I hauled myself thriugh the water w/ the rope id be faster! :)

See, though? You learned something new! Now, next time someone wants to share a lane, you can ask, "Do you mind if we split the lane? I'm slow as dirt", and now you know what circle swimming is.

Love the jacket!

Rachel said...

The frustration just makes that moment where it all comes together even sweeter...

And that is a very nice jacket! I'm jealous.

Char said...

I just hate not being able to see when I take my glasses off and that's the reason why I don't swim. That, and my dislike of wearing a swimsuit in public.

Michelle said...

I think after Boston, I really am going to try to learn to be a swimmer. I want to expand my workouts beyond running, but I tried swimming before and I am not good at it. I need to be more efficient and confident. Just going to take time. Keep the swimming posts coming...they inspire me.

Christina said...

Hang in there. I'll never get swimming. So I think you are brave putting yourself out there, taking swim lessons. Once, when I was About 15 or 16, I kicked the same girl 3 times at various part of the pool. Finally, she said "who is kicking me again?" in the most exasperated tone of voice. Poor little girl. I admitted to her it was me again.

Amy said...

I really admire you for sticking with this even though it feels like such a struggle. Hang in there!

Liz said...

I agree with Amy, your commitment is very impressive. I'm sure you'll be seeing progress soon.

Christi said...

Don't give up! You can do this and the progress will come. Just BELIEVE!

A Prelude To... said...

I'm always so happy to get my own lane so I don't have to deal with other people. Different pools have different rules. If there are more than 3 people, I accept circle swimming...if there are only two people...then I demand my own side!

The other day I even braved the refilling of the pool to get my own lane. The water was COLD!! and rushing out of a hole in the side of the pool so you couldn't evade it at all - even if you were hugging the rope as you went by. I just looked at it as good open water swim training and enjoyed having my own lane for once!

Marlene said...

There is a lot of love here! I'm so glad you are sticking with it. Just keep doing your best!

When there are only two in a lane, we usually just go side by side so each can swim their own pace.

Kandi said...

I don't think I'd be good at sharing a lane. We kind of did last week when I swam but I was in a lane with a girl I knew so it wasn't an issue. It's something I need to get better at if I want to continue swimming.