Thursday, January 16, 2014

Mish Mash

I'm still trying to change up my running somewhat but the weather is making that tricky.  We have had so much ice, ice, ice!  I can handle the cold. I can handle rain. But rain and ice......no thanks. So last Saturday I went to the gym in the first time in maybe forever.  It was long run day.  Could I do it?  I had planned on 8 on my new wonderful route but that wasn't to be.  So I went in with the attitude that yes, I could run 8 miles on a treadmill.  I warmed up and off I went.  I upped the intensity every song and before I knew it I had gone 5 1/2 miles and was now running the pace I run for my speed work.  I stopped to use the bathroom (one of the great things about the gym). When I came back I had lost some of my mojo and what had been pleasant and easy became hard. I started backing down the pace for each song but it wasn't happening as fast as I wanted.  Of course I could have just changed it but I had a plan and I wasn't changing it.  I hadn't taken any walk breaks but it was time now.  With a couple of walk breaks and knowing it would end at some point I did make it to 8.  I actually made it to 9+ but I RAN 8.  That is my maximum run on the TM. Will it stay that way? Who knows?  I seem to be having some fun changing it up on the treadmill these days.
icy driveway, reading at the gym 

Sunday I decided to change up my swimming. When I sprained my ankle last year I did a lot of swimming and went to the Edge in Burlington a lot.  It's fun to use a different pool at a different time of day.  When I go there I can follow the swim with a hot tub time with a good book.  Heaven!  Then a visit to Jameson and Jaxon.  A very successful change!

As the week has gone on.......more treadmill.  I am really hoping to get out this weekend. In fact I WILL get out this weekend!

We did some fun science experiments at school this week.........so not about running but it's hard to write about running on the treadmill too much!  Boring!  So here are my kids working ever so hard......no faces so I feel fine putting these on here!


How many drops of water do you think a penny can hold?  You might be surprised!

One last thing but not a small thing at all. Today I lost a very dear friend to cancer. She fought the hard fight but unfortunately didn't win it. Sharon was a colleague and a friend.  She was a quiet person but willing to try most things.  I did a fair amount of traveling with Sharon. She was also willing to join me in a few races even though she didn't really like racing.  She was always ready to go on a bike ride and other fun adventures.  Sharon was the least judgmental person I know.  The world has lost a very special woman.  

Racing with me and some of my other favorite people.

Rocking our tutus at last year's Making Strides Against Cancer

Easily my favorite shot - in a tacky t shirt shot.

Enjoying a glass of wine on our deck in the Outer Banks.

Life brings unexpected tragedies.  Enjoy each and every day.  Trite but true.


16 comments:

Kate Geisen said...

I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend. Thinking of you.

Jacob did that penny experiment (maybe last year?) and brought it home to do for us. It was cool. I've been pretty delighted because, even after their three week break, my kiddos seem to have retained everything the left with in December, and we've been able to pick up where we left off.

I ran on the TM yesterday...sure wasn't your 9 miles though! I love those runs where fast feels good. Mine wasn't like that for sure. I always leave the incline flat, but yesterday I just set it on random and it did this crazy hill program. Oh man...my 3.2 miles FELT like 9!

Giorgio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Giorgio said...

Sorry to hear you have lost your dear friend!

A the moment, I am not compelled to run on the treadmill as the weather is still good enough here in Italy.

Darlene said...

So sorry. I have a friend currently going thru chemo for the 2nd time.

I can only handle 3 on the tm ugh!

Michael said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. She was far too young.

I just finished the Divergent series a couple weeks ago. I really liked it, though I have to admit, I was kind didn't love book 3.

I am impressed with 8 on the treadmill. My max is about 5.

Gale said...

Sorry to hear about your friend, it was nice to see you Wednesday!

Teamarcia said...

The treadmill sucks until you're backed in a corner with no alternative, then it slowly becomes your friend. I'll always be proud of my 22-miler on the mill. If I can do that, I can do anything.
My heart breaks to hear about Sharon. So sorry for your loss.

Unknown said...

So sorry about your loss. :-(

I admire you for making it through 8 miles on the treadmill. I couldn't do it. Fingers crossed for better weather so you can run outside again soon.

Anonymous said...

I hate when there is ice because it is one of the few things that keep me from running. But losing a friend is even worse. Remember the great times!

Kandi said...

So sorry to hear about your friend.

christa said...

I love that picture from the Basin Harbor race. It comes up on my slide show screen saver. I remember Sharon saying, "I don't like to race, I just lope around town and hope I finish my 3 miles in about 30 minutes." The tutus are from Making Strides, not rely :)

Char said...

I'm so sorry about your friend. Cancer is such an insidious, indiscriminate disease. Sometimes it seems that it only targets the best people.

Ransick said...

Sorry your friend lost her fight. That sucks.

Nice long run on the dreadmill! That is impressive for sure.

Black Knight said...

Very sorry about the lost. The life is very hard.
8 miles on the "dread mill" is impressive. My longer distance on it, long time ago, was the half marathon because I had to prepare the marathon and outside there was a rainy storm.

Fran said...

So sorry for the loss of your friend.

8 miles on the dreadmill? Couldn't do it. I run outside or I don't run at all. Like you the only thing that really stops me from running is icy roads, don't want to risk it that I fall and get injured.
Great job for hitting those 8 miles on the TM.

Johann said...

Really sorry about your friend. Cancer remains a terrible and cruel disease. I've been thinking about you when I see the cold weather in the US on TV. We've just had a heat wave it's still very hot.