Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Training - Do you do it when it is good for your body or convenient for you?

Do you plan your workouts around what is good for your body or convenient for you?  I definitely fall into the latter camp.  I am terrible about doing what fits into my schedule and NOT what would be best for me.  A recent example is following the VCM two person relay. Did I take the next day off when I was sore and tired?  No.  I ran AND biked.  Why?  Well, it was a day off from work so I had a lot of time to fit the bike and run in whereas during the work week it is harder. Also it was a gorgeous day following many rainy ones.  Did I take Tuesday off then.  NO. I swam, biked and ran as I blogged about last week. I had the time and the weather was great again. Was this smart?  No, but it tends to be how I do it.  When I plan my workouts for the week, I look at my calendar, not what is best.  Does anyone else do this?
Who wouldn't want to bike here given the 
opportunity on a gorgeous day?
(old photo)

13 comments:

Ransick said...

I do whatever I can fit in but throw rest days in when my body is run down.

Kate Geisen said...

I do what I want when I can get away with it and let my body figure out the whole recovery thing. :)

My workouts, as you know, aren't super consistent or regular, though, so my body typically has lots of recovery time.

Fran said...

I sit down every Saturday and look at my schedule for the next week and plan my workouts then. I try to stick to my regular running days and most of the times the works out fine since I work out early in the morning. But when I know I am home late the evening before and won't get enough rest I either plan a cross training workout or take a rest day.

Giorgio said...

The combinaton between what is good for our body and what is convenient for us is important when we plan our training. Unfortunately, it ins't always the case :)

Darlene said...

Do exactly the same .. You have to when you work and live in the NE.

middleagedrunner said...

I try to follow my schedule which is set for "ideal" conditions... BUT (and this is a big but) I often have to move things around to accommodate weather, work, more work so what that means is that often I am not following my well thought out plan AT ALL!
And once again- your biking photos make me crazy jealous :-)

Kandi said...

I often follow my schedule/the weather but do take breaks if I think my body needs it. I couldn't imagine doing all those workouts right after doing a half marathon though!

Johann said...

I'm quite good at doing what's good for my body. I think it came with almost 32 years of experience. I certainly didn't do the right things the right way in the beginning.

Liz said...

I usually think it's better to work out when you can if the alternative is missing out. So i follow your example of running / biking when I have time and when the weather is good.

However, I try to avoid lots of hevy days in a row, otherwise I know I'm asking for an injury...

Teamarcia said...

As far as time of day, I do what's convenient. But if it's the day after a race I usually rest or XT lightly at most. Even if the day is wide open.

Char said...

Mostly I try to stick to a plan that gives me a reasonable break between workouts but I'll sometimes decide to run just because there's a public holiday and I've got a bit of extra time.

Anne said...

I'm more a stick to the plan type of person...although these days I have no plan, so I go when I have the time and when I feel like it mostly. :) It must be so nice for you to be back out there riding and running whenever you please :) :)

Karen said...

I am definitely about convenience. I plan things out BUT have no problem with adjusting as needed for weather or life or because I am just tired :)