Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Guess What I Saw on My Brick This Morning?

The photos in this post may have been simulated after the actual brick but no duathletes  (and believe me I am using that description very loosely) were harmed in the simulation.

I did my first real brick today. It wasn't ideal with the half marathon yesterday but I had the day off so I made it work. Before I left my husband reminded me to switch head gear in between the bike and ride. Funny guy.


The bike went well. I wasn't as fast as last week but it was close enough.  When I got home and started out on the run it was pretty bad. I started out sluggish and never really improved.  I tried to pick it up a couple of times but I just didn't have it.  I felt good for getting it done but hope to do better next weekend. I am going to take tomorrow off and give my body a day of  rest.




The exciting part of the day was on my ride when I came around a corner to see a moose in the road. I  don't know who was more startled him or me. I tried to get to my camera but I really wanted to keep my eye on the moose to see what he was going to do.  He ran away from me down the road for  a short ways and then he turned and went up this very steep heavily wooded bank like it was a flat road.  I couldn't see him for long before he disappeared.
When I took this I was on my run. When I was on
the bike, a moose was right here.


I am probably  going to register for the Adirondack Marathon tonight. I have a few races I am mulling over and I need to decide.  It will be a challenging marathon but very scenic which I love. I question the wisdom of a hard marathon when I am having a harder time with running but I like it because:
it is close by
it is in September so the marathon doesn't completely take over fall races
I can stay with a bloggy friend
She will be running the half (maybe I should do that too?)

I do question as to whether I really want to run a marathon. Last year I ended up getting injured in my training and doing no running for months.  I am doing somewhat better with cross training.  If I do it I may decide to do a run/walk method.  The money isn't bad esp. if I register by June 1.  It is a marathon that has been on my list for quite awhile.  If I stop doing marathons for the second year will I ever pick them up again?  Being at VCM made me want to be part of it again but maybe I should wait and do VCM next year.  If I do this I doubt that I will want to do a marathon so quickly again.  As you can see my thinking is all over the place.

The other race I am wondering about is a 10 Miler. I have never done one and have wanted to for awhile. I feel like it might be just the race for me as in all the halves I do I seem to "die" after Mile 10.  There are two 10 milers in late June. One is in Vermont. The other is in Lake George, NY and was recently written up in Runner's World. It looks great and the reviews are amazing.  Can I justify the gas when the other one is much closer?

31 comments:

Darlene said...

Well, I think you should do both Adirondack races - just being selfish...

LookingUpAgain said...

A moose! Wow! I once saw a bear cub while on a walk in Wisconsin :)

Alicia said...

Wow! A moose?! That's crazy! I understand the concern about picking up marathons again. After my first, I didn't run another one for well over a year. I'd say do what you want to do, what you *really* want to do. If that's the marathon, go for it. If the half sounds more fun, do it! You will make the best decision for yourself. :)

Ewa said...

I can't believe how green it is. Not that long ago it kept on snowing in VT.
Anyway, you are amazing for doing the brick after the half and for that you got rewarded with spotting a moose. How cool is that?

Anne said...

Montreal is on Sept 25th!!! If you change your mind about Adirondack, you could come and stay with me and do Montreal :) I have yet to decide whether I will do the half or the full.

You are so hardcore doing a brick two days after completing a half-marathon. Yoga was the extent of my workout today :)
The big toe on my left foot is completely black...so, tomorrow a bike ride and back to running on Thursday.

Anonymous said...

You're brave doing a brick soon after a half...but it seems your body was ready for it! Good luck with your decision. It sounds like your heart is with Adirondack, but I'm sure you'll make the right decision!

Richelle said...

Cool... a moose! I saw a few along the roads when I was visiting my aunt in Alaska in 2008.

I love 10-milers... probably one of my favorite race distances. I'm like you... I get really tired after mile 10. Maybe you could do both races...?

Kate Geisen said...

Seeing a moose would be very cool. A little intimidating, too.

I have a hard time running off the bike. My legs feel all loopy. Nice brick, wonder woman! :)

I did one ten miler. It wasn't as "easy" as I expected it to be...but then, every distance feels difficult for me. I second the motion to do the race you REALLY want to do.

Teamarcia said...

That's one hardcore brick so soon after your half!
Definitely do the marathon. You won't regret it!

Jill said...

A moose? Yep, you and I live in totally different parts of the U.S.

I say do the marathon but just take it easy; no more injuries need to happen so no need to stress the body too much. But I love marathons so of course I'll say that!! :)

Unknown said...

A marathon sounds like fun and the fact that it is close sounds wonderful.
Beware of MOOSE, I can't believe it! Hey, your snow is finally gone :) !

Char said...

Could you register for the marathon but downgrade to the half if you're not feeling the love? Just a thought.

Michael said...

Good luck deciding on the races. I say go for the marathon again!

The BRICK workout is amazingly hard. It's crazy how dead your legs are after you get off the bike.

A moose would be cool. We don't have moose here in KC - well at least wild ones. I did see a Coyote on my run Saturday. It was kind of scary.

Jennifer said...

Moose are cool and dangerous! The marathon sounds great. And congrats on the half! (I'm a little behind on my posting!)

Jenn said...

A moose! Really! I would expect that here. Good luck with the race decisions.

BTW-I laughed out loud at your comment about why my husband should have been holding my Ipod. I wish I would have thought of that to have one more thing to blame him for-ha!!

Kandi said...

Wow. We don't have moose in Maryland. The biggest thing I've seen while running is a deer.
Good luck making your race decisions.

Liz said...

Good idea to try a run-walk approach for the marathon. I feel like all my injury troubles sprang from my marathon too, so not sure if I'd ever do another!

Unknown said...

I need to start doing bricks.

I won't see a moose though, maybe a snake or a roadrunner or coyote, but not a moose.

A Prelude To... said...

A 10 miler sounds like just the ticket! Hmmm...I'm going to see if I can find one around here to do.

Emily said...

adirondak marathon? what's that? i obviously fully support signing up for any and all races.

Emily said...

adirondak marathon? what's that? i obviously fully support signing up for any and all races.

Marlene said...

A MOOSE! Wow, that must have given you a good spook!

Adirondack sounds like a great option if you decide to run a full this fall.

When I signed up for my first 10 miler, I had the same thought that you mentioned - I always suffered after the 10 mile point in a half marathon so that should work out perfectly. :)

Cinthia said...

I can't believe you saw a moose! I've been running trails up here in Alaska and haven't seen a moose yet this year. Not one.

Go for the marathon and the 10-miler. Life is short. I don't know about you but I can always justify the cost of gas when it comes to running, hee, hee (it's $4.65 a gallon here and rising fast).

Molly said...

that is nuts about the moose!!!! Let me know what you decide to do about the ADK races, my in laws live outside of Old Forge.

Lindsay said...

Umm is Emily adopted? This shouldn't even be a question. Register for all of the above :)

Johann said...

Yay for seeing the Moose! Here by us that would be like seeing a Black Wildebeest. I know what it is like to choose between races. I usually opt for the close ones but the other's are worth it even just once. Sounds like you are really enjoying the cross training. Keep it going!

Fran said...

So cool that you saw a moose. I saw 2 escaped sheep this morning. They were running in front of me because I scared them :)

Good luck on deciding what races you are going to do. Whatever it is I will be here supporting you in your training for it.

I'm doing my first 10 miler in September with some guys from work (I'm the only girl doing it).

Kate Geisen said...

It really is super easy to follow the weights part. There's a diet component, too, that isn't as clear as I'd like (as in, tell me what to eat, exactly, so I don't have to mess with how much protein, etc). I'm sure it'll be fine when I actually sit down with it. I've been more focused on the weights than the food.

Fruit Fly said...

A moose? How cool! I've never seen one before in my entire life. That would be so neat!

I'm probably going to be my first bicycle since the one I got in 6th grade. I realized I needed to get a helmet too -- naturally I thought of you and wondered if I'd remember to take mine off after a ride!

Black Knight said...

...and the moose met a nice Lady!

Anonymous said...

Cool, a moose!!!

(I've been reading, but haven't had time to comment until today! )

Love the re-created BRICK photos!