Thursday, June 2, 2011

Three Things Thursday Plus Two

1. Watching - Just finishing Brothers and Sisters - Season 4.  About to start Friday Night Lights Season 5. I would have already watched this because I bought it awhile ago. But I misplaced it and I just rediscovered it.  (Notice I didn't use the words Lost or  Found as it was only misplaced.  You will get this more if you are older believe me.)

2. Reading - Heartsick by Chelsea Cain.  This is the first book in a series I just discovered.  A librarian who seems to like a lot of the same books I do recommended it. It is not a book for the fainthearted. It is about a serial killer and the detective who almost became her victim.  It definitely reeled me in and I already have the next two on reserve.  I have now finished Heartsick and am reading Stay by Allie Larkin a much lighter book about a woman and her dog. Well it is about more than that but....... For some odd reason I really like books about dogs even though I am not a dog person.
My friend P is down the road, this is the top
of a much longer hill than the picture shows.

Glad to be near the top.


3.  Running and biking - Wednesday I took a run on the hottest day I have run on in a long time. I typically don't run in the late afternoon heat (both because I don't run in the late afternoon and we have had no heat) but I ran with my friend from school. We only went about 4 miles but I was BEAT.  It was 85 plus and I am not used to it.  How do you who live in the south do it? Today I ran early and then commuted to school.  It was cool and raining on the way home and my husband actually started a fire.  I was very grateful as I was chilled through and through.  Loved the ride though. I feel I am improving even if only slightly.  I rode with a friend from work.  Since I started in April I have commuted at least once a week.  Sometimes more but never less.





This is where I turn to go down to my house.
There were some good pics that I could have taken
but I was too wet and cold.



4. Best race ever - I've enjoyed reading various posts about the Vermont City Marathon. If I haven't convince you yet with all my gushing here is one post from a blog I recently discovered that may.  And those of you who know my Em at Sweats Once a Day and sees how often she races may have seen what she had to say in a recent post.


2) What is the best race you ever did?
While you all know I have a special place in my heart for Boston, the Vermont City Marathon continues to reign supreme over all other races. This was the fourth year in a row that I’ve either done the full marathon or participated in a relay and I have no desire to stop participating in it any time soon! From the crowd support, to the race organization to the positivity of other racers to the majestic course through the streets of Burlington and along Lake Champlain it never fails to blow my mind and put a smile on my face for 26.2 miles.
4. Garmin Strap - I ordered my new Garmin strap Monday night and it came in the mail today. That is some fast service.  My awesome husband already put it on for me.  (There may have been some cursing involved.)  He is not sure it is on correctly but it appears to be so.  My husband also told me last night as I was drifting off to sleep that he has seen moose prints on our woods road and thinks "my" moose is still around. I am not sure if this was a human interest conversation or a be careful out there note. But no more moose sightings yet.



28 comments:

A Prelude To... said...

thanks for the book idea!! I desperately need a book that is not non-fiction or a bible study...and I need it NOW! I'm hitting up the library tonight and will look for that one!

Darlene said...

I love Brothers & Sisters but they canceled the show. I ran in that heat yesterday and today it is cold here too. Strange weather!

Kate Geisen said...

It was hot at my biathlon, and I thought that 5 miles would kill me. We regularly spent summer in the 90's, and I run in the middle of the day a lot because I have a really hard time getting up early during my summer vacation and because I run during my son's volleyball practices (2 birds, 1 stone since I'm stuck away from home anyway) and those are typically midday/late afternoon.

DO be careful of that moose. Way to go on the biking!

LookingUpAgain said...

Heat is a killer :( Good luck out there. We have field day tomorrow and it's going to be 90+. I lectured the students on appropriate clothing, shoes, and of course water bottles! Even had the write *bring water* in their assignment notebooks! Ha! Last year our not-as-bright-as-he-should-be PE teacher decided to put soda at the water station because it fit with the general "candy land" theme! 1/3 of the 6th grade helpers ended up puking in the nurses office because of the heat and the soda! And the afternoon session was cut short due to heat and lack of proper hydration! Ugh! Can you believe it?!

Char said...

I swear he older I get the harder it is to run in the heat so I can totally relate to your run. An I can totally relate to the not-lost-just-misplaced comment. Oh where oh where did my little brain go?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing my post!! I am still coming down from my marathon high! And thanks for the book recommendation, I've been searching for a new read.

A Prelude To... said...

HEARTSICK in hand! It's based in Portland and by a Portland writer...I'm on Chapter 5 and it's like I'm touring my own town...wait a minute!...I am!
:-)
I also got two of her other books "Evil at Heart" and "Sweetheart". The kids got about 10 books each...we're set for the next week or so!

Richelle said...

I've watched a few episodes of Friday Night Lights and like it, but I don't have the time to get into the series right now. Maybe later...

Glad your Garmin is fixed! Yay for fix-it husbands!

Jill said...

YAY for your happy Garmin now! I was on the phone with them for about an hour last week and they couldn't be any nicer!!! My watch keeps locking up and will not unlock...grr.

I so wish I could do the Vermont Marathon with ya...one year when I'm all better!

Cinthia said...

Oh man, I was so sad to watch the last season of "Friday Night Lights."

I watched a few episodes of "Hung" last week, have you seen that? It's odd and quirky, unrealistic at times but still fun.

(We seem to be DVD buddies. Too bad we don't live closer, eh?)

Liz said...

As a Brit who's only been to the US once, and that was NY, I have certainly learnt a lot about the Vermont climate from your blog! Basically it's crazy - snow, flooding, and occasional hot days, right?

Marlene said...

I hear you on the heat! I do not do well in it at all and wonder how those way south of here manage. Even the mornings were very hot earlier this week. Now it's nice and chilly again - I wish it would stay like this!

Glad you got your Garmin all fixed up so quickly!

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Great job on getting through the heat run! They are tough, but really good for you if you don't over-do-it.

Michelle said...

I loved Friday Night Lights! I would watch it on thru the computer while running on the tm.

Moose!?! Wow, be safe!

Fran said...

This is really funny. I have to start a new book to read and I picked exactly the same book :)
I haven't started it yet, probably will tonight.

Unknown said...

Last summer I commuted by bike to work 2x week. But right now the entrance is being remodeled which means the bathroom by the front door where I was changing isn't available. And i don't want to walk through the building in bike clothes. Sorry excuse, huh?

Molly said...

That's funny what you said about liking books with dogs, because I thought, she has cats!

Anne said...

Our weather has been so up and down...luckily today and tomorrow are nice and seasonal. First long run of the marathon training program tomorrow...even though I'm still not sure I'll do the full :)
I think it's great that you are commuting to work with your bike. Isn't it amazing how things like an injury can end up being a good thing somehow?
Thanks for the warning, I don't do serial killers...ugh! I am faint of heart :)
Have a great weekend!

Jenn said...

Love hearing book ideas! Oh my, I ran my 20 in 83 degrees today. I haven't run in temps like this for 2 years. Practically suicide! I would NOT run if I lived in the south.

Best race. The Dick Beardsley Half Marathon in Detroit Lakes! Hands down my favorite race!

As usual, love the pics:)

Laura said...

I don't handle the heat well at all BUT hate, hate, hate winter. I always try to keep that in the back of my mind...

Chris K said...

Wait, did you say, "almost became her victim?" Really? A woman serial killer. No such thing. Or so I thought.

Oh so now it's too HOT. Wasn't it just too COLD a little while ago?!

Nice job on staying active though. I have never seen you waver in keeping active. Very awesome. Emily got some good genes for sure. Obviously.

Black Knight said...

I beg your pardon for the late congrats on the Vermont City Marathon.
It's hard to train in the heat, yesterday I raced with an impossible temperature and it was terrible, I felt really bad. My worst performance of the year!!!!
We have the same Garmin!!!! Now it is as important as the running shoes for me.

Carlee said...

I love Vermont City. I went to school at UVM and raced the VCM as my first "real" marathon. Stowe was technically my first, but my training (or lack there of) sometimes causes me to dismiss that one :).

As for biking, I don't have bike shoes and the idea of upgrading and needing to clip in and out terrifies me, but I think I'll have to get there someday!

I'll be posting a "what i've learned from biking so far" post some time this week!

2 Slow 4 Boston said...

My wife watches Brothers and Sisters. I could never get into it.

Eighty-five degrees makes for a pretty hot run. As a rule, I only tend to run outside in the early morning during the Summer months.

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

You've had some very cold and very hot weather! I am a big dog person (as opposed to little dogs!), but I can't think of a great dog book right now even though I like to read. I'll look into the one you mentioned. Thanks!

Kandi said...

I think it's awesome that you have been able to bike to work at least one day a week since April. In Vermont! That shows how tough you are for sure.
As far as running in this heat - oh man. I'm in the DC area and it crushes me - partly because the majority of my runs are between 11:30 and 1. As long as I have water it's not horrible but it definitely wipes me out.
You have struck my interest with the Heartsick book and the Stay book... and I'm not even a big reader.

Anonymous said...

Very cool you can bike to work, I am close enough to run to work, but it's so muggy here and without a shower facility, I can't do that to my co-workers! :)

Hope the garmin strap stays put!

Fruit Fly said...

I'm excite to see that you can order a Garmin strap! I keep wondering how long mine will last before the straps gives out ... I might have to look into its replacement before it breaks!

I think my best race was the Eugene Half Marathon this year. It was my best half marathon finish time - but aside from that I feel like mentally I was just "on". I never wanted to quit, I fought for every single step when it got hard. I felt like a legit runner that day!