Thursday, June 23, 2011

There's No Place Like Home

I don't know about you but when I return to my state after even a short time away my whole being gives a little sigh of contentment as I cross the border. Don't get me wrong. I love to leave and visit people and places but as Dorothy said, "There's no place like home."
Always love the sight of "my" mountain!


When I ran on Tuesday I was so happy to be back on my quiet country roads.  Yes, we get traffic but not what most people would consider traffic.  I love my river, my woods, my mountains, even my weather.  I'll take the weather to live where I do.
Love the roads I run on, traffic is sparse and 
the sights are great.

 Tuesday on my way home from a 6 mile run as I round the corner where I saw the moose on my bike, I see a deer.  Is this a new wild life route?  Will there soon be a moose/deer crossing sign?  It looked around as there was a car approaching it and it turned and went back in the woods the way it had come.

After I got back from the run I went out for a bike ride. It was just a gorgeous day, stunning as two women walkers put it as I went by them and we exchanged pleasantries.  The temperatures were just perfect for outdoor activity and the skies are clear.  The only thing to mar this Pollyanna thinking was the dead snake skin I saw.  I like to pretend I live in Ireland or New Zealand and that snakes don't exist. I did not like this reminder even if it was already road kill.  Not so great fact about Vermont - we do have snakes.  Great fact - they don't hang around in the winter. And people wonder why I love winter.
One of my favorite roads whether I'm 
on foot or on my bike.


The weather on Wed. could not have been more perfect for a run. This day I had a turkey come out (slightly different spot) and run up the road in front of me.  It was quite comical. Then he took "flight" and disappeared into the bushes.  I barely got home, quickly eating breakfast before I took off to ride bikes with two work colleagues. In my life it is much easier to find people to ride with. One woman has a new million dollar road bike and she seemed to float up the hills.  Am I jealous?  Heck, yes.  We went slightly more than 20 miles on a route T and I loved last fall.  These ladies seemed to like it too as they want to do it again next week. J was going to quit after 10 miles but pushed herself and did the whole thing.  She was pleased she did it.






I've got to paste in at least a couple pics from last fall on the same ride.



And some of you have said you like these reminders to vote for Emily.
Here is the link.




18 comments:

Giorgio said...

What a beautiful landscape! The third photo shows a nice place to run!
Enjoy your environs!

Liz said...

I love quiet country roads too, although I'm yet to encounter any mooses! It's more sheep and pheasant round here...

HappyTrails said...

When home is that nice, you cannot argue with "No place like home" !! Glad you had a good trip.

BTW, "stable" folks are the people that work for Garden of the God Stables that lead the horse trains of tourists all over the park. They aren't real keen on letting people pass the groups even though they are REALLY slow.

Teamarcia said...

Pure gorgeousness! Glad the weather is so perfect.

Julie said...

You have such a wonderful place to run and a beautiful place to call home! Great post with fantastic pictures:)

Average Woman Runner said...

Yes, lovely indeed. I like your header photo too!

Pahla said...

I always say that the only thing better than going on vacation is coming back HOME! :)
I think of you every time I see a snake on the roads. I see them with surprising frequency, considering that I live in a city, but so far they've all been dead. Thank goodness for that!

Jenn said...

Beautiful pics! I wish I could say there was no place like home....I am thrilled to travel on the weekends to finally get somewhere to run!!! Great schools, great people but very little scenic treasure here!!! I would breathe a sigh of contentment if I were you as well!!

Fran said...

Where you live it's absolutely beautiful!

I agree that there's no place like home. Although I'm having a great time here on vacation I'm already thinking about going home on Monday. I'm starting to miss my house and mostly my own bed and shower. And the wind here is CONSTANTLY present, I'm getting tired of it to be honest. Okay enough complaining: going to enjoy the rest of my stay now.

Char said...

I love the picture of the red barn. It reminds me of picture books from when I was growing up. You have the most beautiful scenery where you live. No wonder you love it.

Jennifer said...

Welcome back! I love where you live, no wonder you are so happy to be home!

Anne said...

What a beautiful tribute to your corner of the world! :)

...and yes, thanks for the reminder!

Amy said...

Yes, voted again! Putting the link up there makes it very easy...

I know exactly the feeling you mean - I have it too, when our plane lands at Brussels airport, even in the worst weather.

Great pictures!

Unknown said...

Oooh, the barn picture was my favorite. You are so fortunate to live where you live, especially now that there isn't any snow!!! That's always at the back of my mind when I read your blog, the snow. IT kind of traumatized me...
happy vacation!

Richelle said...

You do live in a beautiful area! I always like reading your blog because you post so many gorgeous photos.

I also love the new header, btw. :)

Black Knight said...

Despite my allergies I would like to run there! Great pictures.

Fruit Fly said...

So beautiful! I especially like the fall photos!

Kandi said...

I love coming home too but I don't always enjoy the trip home. Once my vacation is over I just want to be home already! (can you tell I just got home from vacation?)
I understand about the snakes. Hawaii doesn't have snakes either. I, on the other hand, do have a snake living in my front flower garden of my new house! Eek. It doesn't bother me too much as long as it stays outside but Joey is working to get it out of my yard and back into the wild!