Monday, May 23, 2011

A Triple?

Guess what I bought Friday night?


Sunday I did a triple - sort of.

Part 1
 I got up early to get a five mile run in.  It was sunny and the temperature was great.  I got home, did my stretches and got ready for part 2.

Part 2
I joined one of my students and his family for a walk for Juvenile Diabetes Research.  My student was diagnosed just a few months ago.  His life has changed considerably and he is handling it like a champ.  When he first knew of this walk he asked me if I would walk it with him.  I was pleased and honored to join him for the event.  It was an easy walk three times around a trail. I walked with him some, his father and younger brother for quite a bit of it and a family friend.  One of the girls from my class who ran the Girls on the Run Race yesterday was there.  Yesterday she ran 3 miles, today she was back for more! (All of the girls were still very excited today. One girl who always shares about all the tv she has watched shared about the race. Yeah!  The favorite part for all of them - the huge puddle at the finish line. Seriously.)

Part 3
When I first got home I took a nap - too many days of getting up early. I was out for about an hour. I woke up greatly refreshed and got a few things done.  Then I headed out on my new bike!  Yeah that's what I bought - big surprise - not!  I also rode it yesterday and I love it!  It is a pretty low end "hybrid" type bike. It is so much lighter than the bike I had. The shifting is completely different and of course way skinnier tires.  It worked just fine on the dirt roads.  I found myself being the most careful on the downhills on the pavement.  It goes a bit fast for me on those.  I rode the same rides I rode a few weeks ago and was much faster and more efficient.  I loved it!  I rode with a big smile on my face!
Here it is!


 If when I sign up for the duathlon I need to think about the rest of my training. I know nothing about bikes and training. Do I taper?  How?  As I am riding should I be doing recovery days?  I feel like lately I am pushing it all the time on the bike.  Help!  Any advice appreciated. Plus it is hard to get ready for my half this weekend - a tiny bit of tapering - and continue to train for the duathlon.  My goal before I go to bed tonight is to register.

26 comments:

Michael said...

How exciting that you got a new bike!! And yes, totally sign up for that duathlon tonight!! Just like running you should have mixed training....a "long" bike pretty easy and some others where you do hills, or speed workouts. But just getting in mileage will go a long, long way. I definitely have a taper built in to my tri training, so I would imagine you would still have some taper for the du as well. Good luck and enjoy the bike!

Ewa said...

Oh, this is one sweet looking bike. Now I want one too.

Jill said...

Woohooo!! That's a sweet looking bike and no doubt you're going to get mega miles on it this summer when you're off work!! :)

Julie said...

You better totally do it!!! You can be my inspiration...then I will too:) Just think when you finally do it you will be able to check that off of your wish list!

Jennifer said...

Nice bike! Doesn't matter; high end, low end just as long as your on it's going to the best!

Char said...

You've gotta love kids. They do a race and their favourite part is the big puddle. That made me smile.

Richelle said...

Sweet bike! I have a hybrid myself and need to take it out more often.

Pahla said...

REG-I-STER! REG-I-STER!! You are going to rock your du like you rock everything else! Michael covered pretty much everything I was going to say about training. Definitely practice getting off your bike and going directly into a run (your legs will feel SO strange). Practice running in clothes that have some bike padding. You will never regret trying something DU, I mean, new! :)
I had a preschool student several years ago with diabetes, what a heartbreaking disease. I'm sure it was a gratifying but emotional experience to do that walk with him and his family.

Anne said...

How exciting...I really hope you registered! You are definitely inspiring me to try a duathlon...so I'll be following your training closely :)

HappyTrails said...

Yay on the fast, new bike!!! Did you sit for hours, once you got it home, gazing at its wonderful beauty???!!! :-) Enjoy and have FUN!
PS: It is supposed to be warmer this weekend - maybe we'll see a snake for you!

Average Woman Runner said...

Yeah! Do the DU!

Kate Geisen said...

Definitely register. You've got lots of time in on the bike. You're going to DU great. Is it run bike run? Or just bike run? For me, the most nerve-wracking thing is riding fast with other people riding fast, but if there's a run first you should be nice and spread out and that won't be bad. Just do your thing. You're going to rock it...and no matter what, since it's your first, you're guaranteed a PR.

I registered today for what's billed as a biathlon (what's the difference between biathlon and duathlon?). Anyway, 5 mi run followed by 15 mi bike. It's next Monday, and this Saturday I'm hoping for a new 5k PR. So much for tapering... :)

Kate Geisen said...

P.S. Congrats on the new bike. Isn't that the best feeling? :)

Amy said...

Love the new bike - it looks very professional! I also love that all the kids were still so pumped up about their run - awesome!

misszippy said...

You go Miss Triple Workout! Congrats on the new bike.

yes, you need to take easier days on the bike, like you do on the run. The only thing I would say is that you CAN do a bit more on the hard side with the bike b/c it isn't beating you up like the run. But do give yourself some easy spin days.

Marlene said...

Nicely done on the triple and congrats on your new bike! Also awesome that you got to walk with your student at the Diabetes event!

Anonymous said...

Nice Bike!! Congrats on that triple!

It's so nice that your student thought of you and asked you to participate in his walk!

RunToTheFinish said...

wahoo that is an awesome weekened!!! amazing how a new bike will get you all excited to ride, it's done wonders for me

Kate Geisen said...

You'd better watch out...you're starting to sound like me. "Ooh...this sounds fun! ...and this...and this...." :)

It's our spirit of adventure that makes us so fun, right? :-)

Lindsay said...

woo hoo! new bike!! i need to get to my LBS and get a new one... but i've been afraid to see the price tag. happy riding on your new stallion!

Fran said...

Great new bike, love it!
You've been very active this weekend.

I can't help you with the duathlon but my blogger friend Lori has done one last year, maybe she can help (she's a great blogger too)
http://findingradiance.com

Johann said...

Yay for the new bike! I guessed it immediately!:) Very exciting to start duathlon training. Did you register?

Lori said...

Hi - Fran mentioned your blog. I love the duathlon format. You definitely need to incorporate rest days.

Here is a good site for getting together a training schedule
http://www.lifetimeendurance.com/public/186.cfm

Hope it helps!

The hardest thing is the transition from bike to run, it always feels awkward.

Giorgio said...

Your bike is really nice! I'll be looking forward to reading about your duathlon training!

Suzy said...

Congratulations on the new bike!

Kandi said...

Looks like a great bike. I did a tri with my mountain-ish bike and I felt SO SLOW compared to everyone else.