Tuesday, May 17, 2011

New Castle 5K

I added a fall race to my upcoming races the other day,  New Castle 5K in New Hampshire. It is on a small island which you simply cross a bridge to get to.  I have done this race 2 or 3 times but it has been awhile. I think I have raced it twice but also raced on the island two more times for Bridges 4 Friendship - a great 10K that no longer exists. It crossed 4 bridges and money was used for  a local charity.  It was  a GREAT race:

  • a loop which I love
  • both times I did it I did it with family
  • it was on the ocean
  • it was fairly flat
  • it was in the fall, my favorite season
Coming up one hill headed to the finish

I raced it with two of my cousins

I raced with my hubby (and beat
him). This pic went on the Christmas
card.

Why oh why did they stop it?  Back to New Castle.  The first time I raced it I was a walker.  That's how long ago I did it.  It is a very picturesque little town.  They pride themselves on the post race food - all made locally.  At least I hope they STILL pride themselves on the food.

This is also a great race.  
  • it's a loop
  • it's on the ocean
  • it's in the fall, my favorite season
  • it is fairly flat
  • it is on an island
  • I am racing it with friends
I have talked some of my colleagues into racing this with me next year.  I never used to be able to talk anyone into racing and suddenly I have an abundance of  friends racing.  I LOVE IT.  Next year instead of teaching a straight third grade I will be teaching multiage 3/4.  All of the present 4th grade teachers who will also be teaching a multiage 3/4 will be doing this race.  I called it team building. I may have mentioned eating out, a  night away, shopping, seeing the ocean and gossiping.  It took no arm twisting. Everyone said yes instantly.  Plus my present third grade colleague whom I love is moving to kindergarten but she is coming too.  Great times in the Granite State!

29 comments:

Teamarcia said...

That's gonna be one hugely fun race weekend!
Best Holiday card pic ever!

Mary said...

Thanks for "showing off" your racing cousins!! HA It is a great race and was a lot of fun. I can't imagine a better team building approach - - what a wonderful time that trip will be next fall. You should absolutely write about it on your blog and for publication! We'll work on that:)

Molly said...

You should have t-shirts made up for the race!

That is the best card photo EVER!

Running and living said...

Hey, I spend my summers in New Castles. My MIL lives there, 5 min from the beach. I did not know about this race, I might do it:)

Alyssa said...

I looooove that that was your Christmas card! AWESOME! Sounds like a great race!

Paul said...

Yah, I dig that you smoked your hubby. Cool 8)

Someday, I have to run a 5k. I think this fall it will happen 8)

Richelle said...

Sounds like a fun race. I like how you've motivated your co-workers to start running. You are an inspiration!

Amy said...

Sounds like awesome team building! Makes me wish I worked with you too!

Char said...

So your evil plan to brainwash all your friends and colleagues into running and racing is slowly coming to fruition. You are and evil genius!

Liz said...

I love that you mention that you beat your husband! It must be great to race with friends.

HappyTrails said...

Sounds fun - not too many islands to run on here :)

Giorgio said...

Beautiful card photo! Have a nice training!

christa said...

maybe I'll do it too

A Prelude To... said...

What an awesome Christmas card picture!!! THAT ROCKS!

LookingUpAgain said...

Wow! Great job on motivating others :) And a 3/4 split! Brave lady!

Kate Geisen said...

What a great Christmas card! The race sounds wonderful, too. Too bad it's so far away...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an awesome race and a great "team building" experience! :)

Love the Xmas card pic, classic!

Darlene said...

Sounds like a great race - jealous!! I failed on converting my tennis friends to running friends this past week!

Jamie said...

Love when you can find others to race with! That is going to be a lot of fun with everyone!

Fran said...

Sounds like a fun race but more important is the teambuilding, I love it.

I'm doing a race in September with 9 of my colleagues and it's already fun because we are all in training and talk about it at the coffee machine and during lunch.

Kandi said...

That sounds like a great race. So cool that you are getting others to race! I love racing and training with my coworkers.

Michael said...

Best care ever. I could never beat my husband...never - unless maybe his leg was broken or something.

I found the perfect race for you on someone else's blog today. Seriously check this out....I couldn't help but think of you :)

http://firstinphilly.blogspot.com/2011/05/underground-marathon-in-germany.html

Unknown said...

nice photo, sounds like a great race.
http://beboldrunwild.blogspot.com/

Michael said...

You obviously didn't watch the video or you would know why I sent you that link. They run the whole race in their bike helmets :)

Black Knight said...

A great Christmas card, now all the people know who rules at home!
I would like to run the New Castle, I love the picturesque little towns with a beautiful landscape to watch during the race.
.....and the Black Knight must lay siege to that castle!!!

Chris K said...

Hubby got chicked by AJH. Nice. Congrats. Hope you are well! Sorry, I have been a bad Blogger.

Kate Geisen said...

I got my road bike today!! :) rain rain stay away so I can ride my new toy!

Katie A. said...

Just getting all caught up!!
You have had some great races lately! Congrats! AND all your bike ridding is impressive! All those hills will pay dividends! I am so impressed with all the rainy ridding and running you have been doing, too! Serious badass!
Loved the golf post with your kids, I am a golfer in my "other" life and love seeing kids take it on at a young age. Maybe one or two caught the golfing bug!
And once again, your pics are just beautiful, thanks for sharing ;)

Alisa said...

Love the card photo!

Isn't it fun to go back to races that you did when you first started?! I'm dying to do the turkey trot 5k I did as my first race --back in 02.