Monday, May 16, 2011

Good Workout Ethic or Insanity?

This quote was on L.L. Bean's post on Facebook today and I am stealing it.  

There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing." -- Sir Rannulph Fiennes.

It is continuing to pour here after our brief respite last week with such gorgeous days - what a teaser!  I rode my bike both to and from work wearing my L.L. Bean rain pants.  They are absolutely the best "gear" I have bought for my bike.  I also ran with a friend after school before I biked home and yes it was also raining then.  I can't say that I mind the rain as much as I would expect but it takes so much planning and organizing to have everything you need.  Plus I had to carry it all on my bike.  I needed clothes for work for today and tomorrow (I am running tomorrow so I can pick up my car.)  I needed lunches for both days. I needed my water bottles.  I needed rain gear for riding. I needed my running clothes for after school including a jacket and a hat.  I needed sneakers to wear while riding to school, shoes for at school and shoes to run in. Ordinarily I could at least whittle this down to 2 pair but not when everything is getting wet.  I did pretty well and was not missing anything I needed. We'll see if I am so lucky tomorrow.

I think there are many who question my sanity for continuing all this working out in the rain.  I did get my flashing lights going on my bike as it was rather "gray" out there.  There was a ton of water in the road and I had to be careful not to swerve around it (Puddle  full speed ahead) into traffic.  Then the school bus went by and when it sped through the water next to me it was major splash time.  I had no windshield wipers on my glasses so it was blind AJH for a minute.  My husband worries that a car will hydroplane across the road into me.  (Although he also loves how "bad ass and non wimpy I am.)  I had numerous people offer me a ride home. I even had a student wonder how I would get home. 

Is this insane?  What do you do that other people question as an over the edge workout?

21 comments:

Michael said...

I think you are awesome. As long as you are safe just go for it!

TP said...

Totally bad ass. I draw the line at safety though - meaning if there is potential danger to me e.g. driving on icy roads to get to the gym - just not worth it.

HappyTrails said...

Safety is where you cut it off - out here rain almost always comes with lightning, which was a no-no when I did a lot of commuting by bike. Ice and fog are two others - ice while riding a bike is always bad news, and the little blinkies aren't strong enough for fog when you have car traffic.

And you are one tough cookie!!!!

MCM Mama said...

I won't run with lightning,but I'll run in just about anything else...

Good for you for working out despite the weather!

Monica said...

Please feel free to send some of that rain to Texas...we are DESPERATE for some rain here!

Richelle said...

You are a rockstar for toughing out that rainy weather! Adding blinky lights to your bike was a smart idea. Definitely keep it safe!

Kate Geisen said...

You rock. What an inspiration you must be to your students and coworkers. As long as you're safe, I say go for it! (Of course, I say that from inside, where I avoid running or biking--but not hiking-- in the rain. :D)

Liz said...

Cycling in the rain is worse than running in the rain - I think you get wetter. Sometimes though, you just have no choice but to put your waterproofs on and get out in the rain - I think you're almost, but not quite insane yet!

Amy said...

You are hardcore! But as long as you are careful about safety, it's up to you how "insane" you want to be about your workouts. I, for one, enjoy reading about all you do, but am a big baby when it comes to getting out in the rain myself - that's when I turn to the treadmill. Hope the weather brightens up for you soon.

Jennifer said...

Of course it's crazy! But why else do it?

Unknown said...

it's all relative. sounds like you wanted to do it, so i'm glad you did. just be careful out there.

Anonymous said...

I think as long as saftey is the first concern, it is fine. I love to run in the rain, but not so much bike.

Jill said...

I think it's making you ready for whatever race day throws at ya!!! Even tons of rain!

Fran said...

I don't think you're insane, it's just who you are, you are strong! It's not just the rain, I do remember all too well how you kept running last Winter with all the snow you've had.

I usually run in every weather except when it's ligthing or too hot.

Lindsay said...

i have to assume you would accept a ride home if you thought the rain/wet roads were really bad. i know you aren't THAT crazy ;)

i would wimp out for a lot less!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I'd bike in the rain, due to all the above mentioned dangers, plus how annoying the rain would be smacking into you when your on the bike, but I've never not run due to rain.

you are def bad ass, just be safe!

Marlene said...

I would run in pretty much ANY conditions but somehow I feel like I would be more of a wuss on the bike... the wind is windier, the cold is colder, the rain/puddles are wetter. You are hardcore! But yes, please be safe. :)

Kandi said...

I think it's awesome that you run in nearly all types of weather. You are so hardcore. Keep up the good work. :)

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman said...

"There's no such thing as bad weather, only weak athletes." One quote a friend of mine has drilled into me.

Darlene said...

You are nuts but in a good way! Be safe!

It's still raining here! Maybe this means we'll have a dry summer.

Black Knight said...

I am a rain lover too.
....or do you prefer the dreadmill?