Sunday, August 1, 2010

Running/Friends/Gardens





I am icing my pesky heel as I write this. I ran 6 and 8 respectfully this weekend.  Yesterday was pain free with very slight pain today.  I am sure that if I amped up the mileage it would be a different story.  I am rethinking my marathon training. I have always prided myself on my many days of running and the miles I am  able to add up but I need to stop thinking that more miles are always good.  My mileage for July was 197.5  miles.  Some of that was due to marathon training, some because of vacation.  Remember I love to run on vacation! Perhaps the high mileage is part of my problem. So how do I fit training for my relay and my marathon into a smart plan?



 First I will run at least slightly less, yet still get at least one day with two workouts in.  I did not race this weekend but will probably do a 5K mid week. I don't think I can resist the race I am planning on because it is so unusual.  I may not get to race the train but this race is pretty darn cool also.  More to come later...........

The temperature was perfect for running both yesterday and today.  I ran with T both days and today we played around with the camera just a bit.




T and I fooling around with the self timer.  This one is fine.




We aren't gleeful over our run. We are laughing because we are never ready when the shot goes off.



Like I said, we are never ready! Or did T just spot a bear?



Last night I met my friend that I visited in Conn. in a local restaurant for supper. She was here in Vermont kayaking on Lake Champlain with friends from Conn. It was great to see her on my turf and meet some of her other friends!  My husband got to join us and he hasn't seen K in a long time so all in all we had a great time!

Dinners lately have been all about the garden.  This picture really doesn't do our garden justice. It looks great - thanks to my husband who spends a lot of time in it.  A supper straight from the garden -  an excellent way to end the weekend!




We have lots of tomatoes!  We gave away several to grateful neighbors just today.



We do not have so many of these. Woe is me because I love love love yellow squash!

17 comments:

Christina said...

I like self-timer pictures. They always make me laugh. Keeping a garden is not an easy job. You are lucky to have a husband who spends lots of time in it. I love yellow squash!

Anne said...

I hope you figure things out for the heel and the marathon training. I certainly understand about managing marathon training and trying to avoid further injury...

Beautiful garden...my husband is also the one in charge of the garden at our home!

Funny pics :)

Middle Name Marie said...

I wish I could grow some lovely veggies, but I really think I was born with a black thumb. I am a high-mileage trainer myself, it makes me feel strong mentally and physically. Maybe back down a few miles, but not so much that you don't feel like you aren't doing enough. Maybe the heel pain is just a result of needing new shoes...idk. You are doing great though. Good July mileage!

Monica said...

197.5....in ONE MONTH!!! OMG!! You are a MACHINE!! :)

Julie said...

Nice work on your monthly totals! Holy cow you banked some big time miles:) Maybe you could bank a few for me too:)

I love your garden! When I was growing up on the farm my mother always planted two huge gardens! Fresh verggies are the best...yellow sqaush is one of my favorites too:) Seeing your garden brings back memories....good ones!

Molly said...

I did a double take when I saw your mileage for this month, nice job!!!

Hope that heel feels better asap!

Unknown said...

What wonderful property you have and such a HUGE garden! I love it, you are so fortunate!
I agree about the mileage. I never, ever ran a lot of mileage in training for my marathons, once I'd get to 40 or so, I'd start to have all kinds of problems. Right now I'm doing a lot of different things to make big mileage easier for me. Be careful! Stretch and take some serious recovery days.

Patrick Mahoney said...

So happy you referred to a meal as "supper". The North East!, love it. Wicked cool.

Anonymous said...

Your self timer pictures are much, much, much better than my self timer pictures.

HappyTrails said...

Your garden looks AWESOME! I am jealous. You might have to share some of your garden fresh dinner choices with us. I am always looking for ideas for yummy, fresh, and nutritious dinners!
It looks like you did get the self timer figured out pretty well - I always have trouble. Bummer on the heel - I hope it gets better - it can get discouraging when things like that are bothersome, especially when you've got plans!
Have a great week!

Johann said...

Funny how many people have heel problems at the moment. Good luck with your training and get some good rest as well. Your garden is absolutely beautiful! I love gardening although our garden is currently battling through the winter.

LookingUpAgain said...

That garden looks fabulous! Those veggies must taste delicious :)

I hope that heel feels better soon! Keep an eye on it though. You don't want it getting worse.

Jennifer said...

Nice garden and funny pictures! I too can never get the timing right. Hope your heel feels better and better each day! Cheers!

Marlene said...

That is some seriously high mileage!!! I hope your heel is feeling better.

Fun pics!

Katie A. said...

Hmmm, it could be higher mileage. I think that is why my knees are hating me right now. But gosh darn, good job on the July mileage total!
LOVE the self-timmer pics, those are so much fun!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

I like yellow squash, too, and what a great garden you have! Fun pics with your self-timer!

Lindsay said...

I love running on vacation because you can explore new routes and take your time. No rushing off to work or squeezing a workout in over lunch. Too bad I'm not a pro-athlete! Hope your heel is doing better!!