Thursday, December 6, 2012

TTT - The Bike Trainer Edition

1. The bike trainer is out of the box.  My husband helped me get it set up last Sunday.  The temperatures were low and there was snow on the road. I can deal with the low temps but not the snowy road. So we got it set up and put it in the mud room for now. That room is a bit cooler which makes it a good spot.  I also figured out how to set up my computer so I can watch a movie. Then I figured out how to set up speakers because I couldn't hear the movie. Then I got my phone to use as a timer. Then I....... and on and on.  I kept finding excuses to get off it and fix something because

I.Could.Not.Believe.How.Boring.It.Was!

I knew it wasn't going to be wildly exciting but I wasn't prepared for just how boring it is. It makes the treadmill seem wildly entertaining.

2.  I always always always want to know my mileage whatever I am doing.  My garmin is my lifesaver when I am running. Before I had it I had driven most of my routes so I knew how far I was running.  I know how many yards I swim and I convert that to miles.  I used to use my Garmin on my bike before I got a bike computer.  I figured I would just use my computer on the trainer.  NOPE. You need a special computer for a trainer.  I am still adjusting to this and trying not to freak out.  I have only used my trainer twice and I went for time instead. I am not going to tell how much time because I don't want you thinking, "Really, AJH, you honestly think that is going to help your bike legs stay in shape." I don't even quite know how to log it as I can't add the miles to my yearly total.  For now I am logging time and going with that.

3.  What do you do to make the bike trainer more bearable?
How do you deal with exercise that doesn't neatly fit into tracking mileage?
What is your least favorite type of exercise that you do?


15 comments:

Unknown said...

How do I make the bike trainer more bearable? I gave it to my husband for HIM to use.

Hahahah. Seriously, though. I can't stand cycling in place.

Unknown said...

How do I make the bike trainer more bearable? I gave it to my husband for HIM to use.

Hahahah. Seriously, though. I can't stand cycling in place.

Liz said...

Oh dear, that does sound boring. I suppose it's ok if you can watch some good tv while cycling... But not having a log of the mileage would annoy me. It's got cold here now too and I'm wondering if I can cycle in 0 degrees C (about 32F).

Kandi said...

I know nothing about bike trainers but this makes me not want to know anything about bike trainers!

Christi said...

I watch a lot of TV on the trainer. Then during commercials I speed up til they are over. My intervals if you will!

Johann said...

I've can just imagine how frustrating the boring part will be for you. I have never run on a treadmill and that is one of the main reasons why. I suppose there is not much more to do than watch TV/DVD. Still great to get the workout done indoors.

Michael said...

The trainer can be BORING. I like to make sure I have some kind of workout planned. Usually I do intervals. I will start in a moderate gear and make it harder and harder each minute and then go back down. I'll about minutes of sitting/standing, etc. It helps the time go by if you have some changes of pace vs just sitting on it.

Garmin has a speed/cadence sensor for indoor cycling. It's just under $40 on Amazon. I had some issues with it at first, but once I got it figured out it works great. It's not totally accurate, but at least gives you some kind of measure.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Speed-Cadence-Bike-Sensor/dp/B000BFNOT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354809443&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+cadence+sensor

middleagedrunner said...

My biking friends SWEAR by the sufferfest videos. I ran to one on the treadmill and think that it's better than movie watching. More engaging and a decent workout :-)

Kate Geisen said...

I also have friends who like Sufferfest. I read blogs on my phone or watch movies (I say that like I use my trainer regularly...that's so not the case. But I have used it. :D). When I did the Super Century (the 60 mile trainer ride...talk about BORING), I just put a cheapie bike computer with the sensor on my back wheel instead of on the front wheel like you're supposed to. Not idea, but it worked.

Darlene said...

you need a really great TV show to watch.

Char said...

I've got an exercise bike and hardly ever use it because of the boredom factor. To stay on it for an hour is almost impossible but the mind-endurance it builds is invaluable. When you're toughing it out in your next triathlon and want to quit you just have to tell yourself "I can do this - I"ve done an hour on the trainer and I can do anything!"

HappyTrails said...

Limit your time to 35 - 45 minutes. Get CTS dvds - mountain bike and climbing - they are interval type workouts that work you hard and make the time go by as fast as it can go while sitting, spinning, and not going anywhere! Also, get some of the Xterra dvds - Nationals in Ogden, UT is scenic as well as the Worlds in Hawaii. Those dvds make it sort of bearable but can't stand it more than once a week..... When I was young and dumber, I would ride the silly thing 4x a week during the winter! NO MORE!!!
Outside is much better, if AT ALL SAFELY possible - even if it' just for a short outing!!! Retaining sanity is a good thing..... :-)

Amy said...

Have you thought of mindfulness meditation while on the bike? Either that or some really entertaining television!

Alisa said...

My tricks for the trainer...

Get a good AND loud playlist rolling---OR---find a super engaging TV show or movie.

Invest in the Garmin cadence speed/cadence censors. If you have a 305 or newer version it will work. I found it really hard to not know anything about my stats and to just "spin." The cadence and speed censors at least give you some data. They also use those data points to calculate "distance" much like a treadmill does so that's helpful.

Order a spinervals (or 5). It's like spin class in your living room/basement/workout room. The "coaches" are good and they keep the trainer interesting for up to 5+ hours. My personal record is 4 hours on the trainer but I hope to never have to go that long on the trainer again.

Lastly, if you invest in none of the above, at least go into the trainer session with a "workout." Like 10 minutes easy, alternate 1 minute HARD/2 easy, 5 minutes HARD, 2 recovery...something. I, for one, cannot just spin I need some type of workout. For me it's the same in the pool. I can't just go swim laps, I need sets, a kick board and a pool buoy. If you are struggling with coming up with workouts, go online. Beginnertriathlete has some good indoor workouts so does cycling magazine.

Good luck! You will find something that motivates you!

Runner Leana said...

Like the treadmill, I find the trainer needs some kind of workout. I have a weekly group class that I go to where having the instructor push me is what I need to get a good workout in. If I'm just doing a boring recovery ride I find you either need good music or some kind of show to watch. Yup, otherwise it is really boring!