Thursday, April 25, 2013

What a Difference A Day Makes

The surfers are back!


Wow!

The sun came out and it warmed up.  I rode the same distance as yesterday and finished feeling just fine like I could have done more. Yesterday I was dead.  Was it the sun?  Was it the fact that the wind wasn't making me work twice as hard the entire way back? Was it the fact that it wasn't raining?  Or perhaps ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Today's ride was pure delight. Much of it was along the ocean with stunning views and the temperature was perfect.  I ran this morning while it was still drizzly and cool waiting for the sun to come out for a ride.


It was still miserable first thing this morning.
I was trying to show how high the waves were going
up the cliffs above and below.  





One of my favorite sights on vacation plus for Johann.


I hung around the hotel room, went out to breakfast and slowly drove to Kennebunk for the starting point.  The beach was packed mostly with surfers but lots of runners and walkers too.  I headed out taking lots of pictures which I was sending to my husband who always has lots of questions about places we know in Maine.

One of many stops to take pictures.

These three are all Cape Porpoise. A nice out and back side trip.



When I went to Cape Porpoise I had to drive through a water main release and was quickly wetter than I even was in the rain yesterday. Oh well, I dried.  Nothing could take my grin away today.


All these are Biddeford Pool.







The next bump was in Fortune's Rocks. I wasn't able to enjoy it as much as usual because of all the construction. The workers couldn't have been nicer about stopping to let me by but I was pretty conscious of the size of their machines compared to me and my bike. I had to pay too much attention to them rather than the delightful vista to my right.  But next I headed to Biddeford Pool which is surely one of the most gorgeous places in Maine.

I stopped to sit at New England College?? and then turned to go back.  Now last year I got lost so I was working very carefully not to this year. I have to say the map is not correct.  I could not have been more careful but the road names aren't right and distances told didn't match up. I managed to find my way back by keeping the sun to my right (seriously) and kind of remembering some of the roads.

Then I stopped at Maine Diner for a great last supper in Maine!


Nobody does clam chowder and lobster roll like Maine Diner.
I couldn't even take a picture until I had had a bite!

9 comments:

Darlene said...

Maine is so beautiful. Glad you finally had some nice weather.

Kandi said...

I'm glad the weather turned around for you! Those pictures are gorgeous. One of these days I'll make a trip to NE.
I love that you used the sun for navigation. My dad has used it many times while driving to get him on the right track (which isn't always great if you are lost in a big city and the sun directs you through scary neighborhoods).

Anonymous said...

It's always great when the stars align for a great run or ride!

Liz said...

Oh I'm so jealous. It's a lovely sunny day here and i would love to be out on my bike, but my daughter is ill. Your photos have just reminded me what I'm missing!

Unknown said...

Nice!

Average Woman Runner said...

Every time you post photos, visiting the NE moves up higher on my list of places to go. Glad you had a nice sunny day for your last day!

Char said...

What a great way to spend a day. And to get good weather is just the icing on the cake - or the clam in the chowder.

Cinthia said...

Lovely pictures, especially the beach. Are any of the newspapers hiring (we could both move, hee, hee). Glad you got in a nice weather ride and that you're having a great vacation.
P.S. It's 1:20 a.m. and I am totally craving clam chowder.

Johann said...

So beautiful there. Looks like a place to go for a real "get away from it all" break. Thanks again for the bus :)