Thursday, June 3, 2010

Three Things Thursday

Jameson and myself running up Church Street - THE BEST - Emily is taking the photo!
VCM 2010


1. I haven't been running this week, letting myself thoroughly recover. It has been very strange.  I especially felt odd not running on National Running Day!  I felt like a priest skipping mass!  Oh well, my muscles are thanking me.  I have been surprised at how tired I have been each evening when I haven't been running!  I think I needed the break in more ways than one.

2.  I have been on an interviewing committee for a 4 month maternity leave at my school. There were many many applications and the people we interviewed were very good.  And these are the people looking for a temporary job!(maybe not their first choice)  I am certainly glad I am not looking because for years in Vermont getting a teaching job has been very tough.

3. It is just about time for me to start marathon training if I am going to run a fall marathon. I am having a very tough time choosing one. I had one pretty much decided upon when I looked at the website again and discovered it starts at 10.  Even in New England I don't want to do an early October marathon that begins so late. Am I being too picky? All other marathons I have done started at 8:00 at the latest.  Even in the fall in New England.  I keep going on MarathonGuide.com and also think maybe I am letting some of the negative comments influence me too much. Do I want to repeat a marathon? (Hudson/Mohawk - flat, scenic, very small - not necessarily a plus for me) or do a larger one with pacers to try to qualify for Boston(Hartford) or a flat faster one that starts at 10 (Smuttynose Rockfest - new marathon) or a scenic one that is very hilly (Mt. Desert Island) or go farther in New England (Amica ) and have pretty ocean views but a more rushed trip due to distance.  Is anyone doing any of these? Thoughts?  I need to decide soon although I can just start training with an approximate start.  Some of these may fill up.  Momentarily (it changes constantly) I am leaning toward Mt. Desert Island.

I am adding to this after the first few comments. I wasn't specific enough, actually the last 3 are on the ocean.  Only the first two are land bound!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the photo! You look like you are having a blast!

Jill said...

I didn't run on National Running Day either...no excuse other than I was just spent from the day before and wanted to rest (aka: be lazy). I wonder if there's ever a perfect marathon; we spend so much time thinking about the logistics of every one before the decision and who knows what the Running Gods will throw at us come race day. Pick one that makes your heart excited, and that will be the "right" one :).

Heidi said...

Hmmm, lots to choose from there. For me I'd probably be considering between the one with the ocean views or attempting to qualify for Boston (if I thought I was fast enough).

Char said...

Ha ha - Smuttynose Rockfest - interesting name.

Michelle said...

I didn't run on running day, either. It was a rest day for me and I'm a stickler about following a schedule.

If I were fast enough, I would try to qualify with Hartford. But, the ocean views are also tempting. Good luck with your decision!

Suzy said...

Great picture! I can only imagine how hard it is to choose your fall marathon - there are so many options. I don't know how it is at the elementary level (you teach elementary, right?!), but a friend here is applying for high school social studies positions and the schools are getting 400 applicants per job posting. Tough times.

EB said...

Great picture! I vote MDI for the fall marathon, by I might be bias being from Maine. Though its hilly, I've heard the views and course can't be beat. Definitely on my 'must-do' list.

Pining for Pinterest said...

Sounds like you have a fun decision ahead of you :) Have a wonderful weekend!

christa said...

I am seriously thinking of the Smuttynose Rockfest for a half marathon. I like that they advertise it as flat, and the beer of course. And I understand the frustration of those applying for jobs, as I am one of them!! Hope to see you soon!

Marlene said...

That's a great pic in your new banner! What a gorgeous place to run.

Glad you're resting up and taking it easy this week. Your body will thank you for that!

Good luck with the marathon decision. 10am seems way too late! You'll be running well into the afternoon!

Jocelyn said...

Smart to let your body fully recover! :) Great picture

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

After running Big Sur, I really appreciate a scenic route so I vote for Mt. Desert Island. : )

Anonymous said...

Love the photo!!!

RobinLK said...

I'm with onelittletrigirl...love the photo! Well, both, actually. Looks like you guys had a GREAT time. :) As for the choices (and so many!) ~ seems like you're ready for a BQ race??

Julie said...

I love the picture of you and Jameson! He is so tall and you look so little:) My son tells me daily that I am shrinking...whatever, what and the hell does he know?:)

I am sure that you will figure this whole marathon thing out....go with your heart and gut.

Happy Friday and do something fun this weekend:)

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I like FLAT Marathons... Hugs to relaxing...

Anne said...

Can't help you with your marathon choice...although I hear there's a great one on October 24th in Niagara Falls ;) :)

I say, go with your gut!

Love the photo of you and Jameson :)

Johann said...

A priest skipping mass! I really laughed at that! I can't help with the marathons, but 10:00 is very late. Great pic!

Fran said...

I've seen your comments on some blogs we both follow and came to take a look at your blog and I like it! Especially the things you've accomplished as an "older" runner (hey what's old, you're as old as you feel). I've started running at 41 years old so consider myself an older runner too. Although I never want to run a full marathon I sure want to try a half.

Your blog is inspiring so I've added you to my Google reader. If you have time and want to, you can visit my blog sometime: www.dutchgirlgetshealthy.com

LMC said...

LOL on feeling like a priest who skipped mass! I actually ran on National Running Day, but did not know it was NRD. :) I'm running Richmond in November (not a double loop, kinda flat, close to home). That may be too late for you, but possible, maybe?! Good luck choosing.

Jennifer said...

Have enjoyed reading your blog! Good luck finding a first marathon there are so many choices! I did my first earlier this year and am now hooked. Like you I started running late, a few years ago when I was 42. Cheers!

Unknown said...

I've been hearing a lot about people starting their fall marathon training...me too! It's going to be a long, warm summer but imagine how happy and fit we'll be once school starts up again!
Happy Interviewing...I'm always grateful I got my job when I did. It seems so tough and rigorous now!

Anne said...

Hi ajh!
Here's what I know about the Niagara Falls marathon. A colleague of my husband's ran a few marathons and told him that Niagara was one of the most beautiful. Also, apart from the bridge at the beginning, the course is flat and even has a slight downhill for the last few kilometers (check out elevation graph). Apparently, coming in to the finish, we will be facing the falls...which will be gorgeous. Finally, Laurel (of Lily on the Road), who is also Canadian and has tons of experience, agreed that Niagara was an excellent choice, that it is flat and fast and that, although that's not my intention, a lot of people use it to BQ. I like the idea that it's at the end of October (gives me more time). Only little problem for you...it starts at 10am I believe.
Looking forward to seeing what you decide!

Black Knight said...

Nice pic. In my opinion, if you have many options, choose a flat half marathon.