Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thursday Tidbits

1. Are you sick of hearing about swimming? If so skip ahead.  This week out of 50 laps 25 of them were freestyle!  50% my friends!  My first set was my most recent 3 in a row. Then I decided I needed to try 4 and the rest were 4 laps in a row with one last lone "speedy one."  I am still very slow (I had a friend swimming near me and she lapped me so many times it was pitiful) but improving and having fun.  I feel so good all day after I swim in the morning. I am smiling as I write this even though it is more than a day later.
I had 3 runs at the gym.  The first one was great but I felt like I was going to pass out on the second one but not because of any amazing speed. I just felt off so I convinced myself to take a walking break.  Then I got back to it and finished the miles but I was drenched with sweat.  Something was a bit off for sure.

2. A good friend who was a long term sub leaves this Friday.  I never met her before late summer but she will be truly missed.  A bunch of us went out to eat Tuesday night and we had a great time.  The best part of my job is the people I work with and I hate it when a friend leaves!

3.  I just started reading: Momentum is Your Friend: The Metal Cowboy and his Pint Size Posse Take on America.  Someone recommended this book on their blog, Kate? Karen? Whoever did it was right - it is a great book!  I am only a few chapters into it but I like the author's humor.  Here is Amazon's description of the review.

Most people bring their inner child on an epic adventure. Joe “Metal Cowboy” Kurmaskie actually took his two kids along. For a 4,000-mile bicycle ride across America, Joe’s seven-year-old son, Quinn, rides a tagalong bike attached to his dad’s; and behind that is five-year-old Enzo in a bike trailer. 
Our hero the Metal Cowboy answers the question “What are you, crazy?” with a resounding and cheerful “Yes.” Unassisted—with no support crew except his boys’ comic relief and the periodic kindness of strangers—he pedals hundreds of pounds of gear and offspring over mountain passes, across the wide plains, through thunderstorms, and into the heart of what it means to be a dad.



4. I have a race this weekend and it should be a good one. It is a Santa 5K where you have to wear a Santa suit the whole way.  There are 1200 (the limit) people registered which is a sizable race around here.  I have a feeling that I truly won't race this one but may just run it with some friends.  I don't think I'll feel very fast in a Santa suit.  There is going to be a videographer there so it can be on You Tube shortly after the run.  I will post the video or at least a link!

22 comments:

Michelle said...

I never get tired of hearing you swim! :) I just don't have the motivation quite yet!

Kandi said...

Way to go with your swimming! Very impressive. The santa race sounds fun.

christa said...

I'm excited for the race Sunday!

Laura said...

We have a similar race where I live this weekend...it is actually hillarious to watch all the Santas race in.
Have fun!!

MCM Mama said...

Way to go on the swimming!

That book sounds interesting. I'll have to see if my library has it...

Andrew Opala said...

Burlington vermont?

cuz I'm doing Burlington Ontario one week later ... and they've got 4000 signed up.

Kate Geisen said...

I LOVE LOVE that book!! It's one of my favorites. Plus, when you get to the Katy Trail section, I've ridden that trail, too, so it made me happy to read it. The other book of his that I've read was about their WHOLE family riding across Canada. Amazing adventure, but I didn't like the book as much.

You are doing so well on the swimming!! It makes me want to get back into a pool. :)

HappyTrails said...

Awesome - take photos as that will be a cool one to see!

Jill said...

I think wearing a Santa suit would be so cool! Andrew has a picture on my website of him in his from last year's race, so flipping fun!! Good luck and don't sweat to death in that thing.

btw, the race Tara and I did last week was a grand total of 219 people. That is teeny tiny in Denver....but there were about 10 Turkey Trot's across town and we just wanted a smaller one.

Liz said...

You will get so hot running in a Santa Suit! Hope it's a nice cold and frosty day!

Fran said...

It doesn't matter if you're slower than your friend at swimming: you're doing it and that's what counts!

That Santa run sounds fun. We have such a race close by my home but I don't see myself running in a Santa suit :) Have fun!

Unknown said...

i'm not sick of hearing about swimming. you are motivating me. i want to make december a swim focused month!

Amy said...

That book sounds interesting!
I agree with you on the race - I imagine wearing a Santa Suit is not exactly conducive to getting a fast race time! Enjoy!

Christi said...

Have a great race this weekend! It sounds very fun!

Karen said...

Hooray for freestyle! I love that you are making so much progress - congratulations!

The 5k in the santa suit actually sounds fun. Although even thinking about running in a sant suit makes me sweat.

Alisa said...

Yay swimming!

I ran a 5k in reindeer antlers once. Should be a riot! Hopefully it's cold out, I imagine Santa Suits can get toasty.

Marlene said...

We have a big santa run here, too! I have never done it but one day I would like to. Have fun!

Congrats on your swim progress!! Slow or not, you are going farther in your freestyle!

A Prelude To... said...

I love when you recommend books! You've never been wrong for me. I'm going to see if it's at my library.

Great work on the swimming!

Char said...

I'm sure all that swimming is doing amazing things for the parts of your body that running neglects. And isn't it great that it leaves you feeling so good?!
When you post the Santa video be sure to point out which one is you - or better yet let us all guess.

Christina said...

Swimming is such a wonderful exercise (even though I am not fond of it, I believe it is awesome!) :)

Santa race sounds like fun. What a fun way to incorporate running and the holiday season! :)

Black Knight said...

I am glad about your swimming, do you remember what I said when you started this "adventure"?
Enjoy your Santa race and you are right it is uncomfortable to run in "red dress".

Jenn said...

You are a swimming SUPERSTAR and when I move to Vermont, you will take me swimming. Yes, yes you will:)

Checking out this book:) OK-I am definitely looking forward to pictures of this Santa 5k!!