Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Road Not Taken

The Road Not Taken Every Chance I Get


Today I had an appointment - yes AGAIN - so I threw my bike in the car and rode after it. This was my second visit to the dentist this week.  I love my dentist -he is very funny - but I have no desire to keep seeing him when it involves crowns and big money.  You young ones out there haven't started getting crowns yet lucky you.  I got a temporary one on Monday which broke and necessitated a second temporary one today.   I had to leave a desk full of work to make the appointment BUT I did have a great ride on my Middlebury route when I was done!  

I also stopped and got a bike light!  Now I will be able to continue commuting at least for awhile.  I have commuted 11 times this month ( I am counting tomorrow) and most of the missed days involved appts. for heel or teeth!  I asked about "winter tires" while I was there but I am not ready to go down that road yet. But the forecast is talking snow so it may be sooner than I think.

Some of you mentioned how cool it is that Emily and I are mother/daughter runner/bloggers.  The very sad part is that we are mother/daughter injured runner/bloggers.  Too much similarity here! I am going to go visit Emily next week.  Past visits have been full of running and activity.  This time....not so much!  Oh well, we will heal and be stronger in the future!

Today I was told by a colleague how impressed her son is that I am biking to and particularly from work! So some of the students (this one is not in my class) are noticing!  Yeah! If I can make one or two aware of an athletic lifestyle that will be the icing on the cake!
Leaving Nantucket



16 comments:

MCM Mama said...

Glad you can at least ride still! Let me know if you'll have time to meet up when you are out here.

Steel Springs said...

I'm glad that you got the bike light. It's getting dark so early now.

I love getting my teeth cleaned at the dentist, but expensive procedures are another story.

Patrick Mahoney said...

Fantastic on the inspiring the kids. I am hoping to get into my son's classroom to talk about bikes at some point this year..

Ewa said...

Be careful biking when it gets dark. Good you got a light. I am surprised at how many bikers I see in our area who don't seem to realize how difficult it is for drivers to see them at night. And I am sure they have cars too.

Amy said...

Isn't it great to feel you've inspired someone? I think that is one of the most positive aspects of living a healthy lifestyle - being a good example to others.

For biking visibility at night, a fluorescent vest helps a lot. Do you have one?

HappyTrails said...

Hope you get to stop having "fun" (visits) at you dentist soon! You ARE an inspiration! Glad you found a light - do you have a little red blinky light to have on the rear??? They are very good to have for added visibility!

Jennifer said...

I hate the dentist. So many crowns for me, but my Dad is a technician so he has made all my dental work for free. It's still expensive though... Kudos for all that commuting, I am impressed! Keep up the good work!

Alisa said...

I actually love the dentist--probably b/c it's the one doctor that doesn't make you get on the scale =).

Way to go on bike commuting that is AWESOME!

Johann said...

I thought about you and Emily being injured at the same time. That really sucks big time. Maybe it will force you to do some other great things together. Have a good weekend!

Molly said...

love how you're fitting all your bike rides in, and inspiring others to boot!

Marlene said...

I hope to see both you and Em RECOVERED form your injuries soon, so you can get back to being RUNNING bloggers. :) Til then, it's awesome that you are both staying active, keeping sane and having fun in other ways!

LMC said...

You have the best motivation for commuting on your bike. The possibility of positively influencing the students is more valuable than the normal benefits of commuting. Good for you!!

I hope you have a great weekend with your daughter and that you both heal as quickly as possible!

Fran said...

So cool that you are inspiring others! Must be a good feeling for you.

Hmmm about the crownes? I've had 4 by the time I was 18 year's old unfortunately.

kizzy said...

looking and reading your post makes me plan to take this road too..

--kizzy mountain khaki

Chris K said...

Maybe you can put in some ugly pictures for once. Like a trailer park or something. Not fair to keep showing how beautiful it is there.

I Run for Fun said...

Hope you and Emily feel better soon! Glad you are able to bike, though. For the millionth time, you live in such a pretty place.