Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Wallis Sands Half Marathon

I better do this post before my next race. Did I really use to post a few times a week?

I have another half this weekend through poor and ignorant planning. My knee is kind of sore so I am doing nothing and will take it really slow this weekend with no expectations this weekend. None!

But last weekend I was hoping to do better than my half in March. I did by almost a minute faster per mile.
Inside the lighthouse.

Portsmouth Headlight


This half was in Rye Beach and I did it last year.  I stayed in Hampton Beach which is not where I usually stay.  It was nice to be on the beach but I do like York, Maine better.  When my friend and I got there it was raining. We did some shopping in Kittery which was a huge score. I have a worn a new skirt every day this week. I wish I had gotten more as they are comfortable, cute and cheap.  Then we went to see Portsmouth Headlight and I went to the top.  I love lighthouses so this was a big score.  Then it was to the hotel to check in.  
Biking on Hampton Beach

Next I rode up the coast!  Yes!  Yes!  Yes!  I rode to the race site.  Then it was out for my first lobster roll of the weekend.  
A small part of the bike path

Coming into the finish

At the finish

Then it was time to race on Sunday.  It was very foggy when we started out.  But within an hour it was sunny and warm. I was a little overdressed but not too bad.  I stayed around some people but passed others.  I was feeling good, not as fast as I used to be but way faster than my training runs were. I kept a reasonably steady pace. I walked a minute every mile which worked great.  I missed the mile marker for mile 9 so all of a sudden I was at 10 with only 3 left to go.  

The first few miles were along the ocean and then it veered inland past the marshes and into the village. The last few were back through the marshes, then along a bike path and finally along the ocean again.  I loved the bike path. Everything was in bloom and so pretty.  I tried to appreciate the scenery and not think about being tired. Truthfully, I was feeling great and not that tired so it wasn't hard.  
Approaching the finish


My stats weren't great  but okay.  I did not win an age group award. I was 5/8.  My other stats were so so but like I said, I was thrilled with my time and running.  I felt good and had a great time. What more could I ask for? 

Now this weekend I get to do it again but at a much slower pace.

6 comments:

middleagedrunner said...

Awesome job! It is so pretty in that area, I love running on the coast- the scenery is a nice distraction from the pain :-)

Amy said...

Sounds like everything went really well! Good luck for this weekend!

HappyTrails said...

So, so BEAUTIFUL! I know you are not where you want to be in terms of training and performance but am so glad you are still getting out and doing the things you LOVE. It will come back - but dang that naughty knee! have fun this weekend - going slow will allow you to soak up the sights and sounds and savor the moment, right???!!! :-)

Char said...

I'd call that a good race. Times and stats really don't matter. Enjoyment does.

Giorgio said...


Completetly agree with Char: it's important that you enjoyed it. Speed doesn't matter.

Good luck on your race this weekend!

Half Crazed Runner said...

I tell myself the next half I'm just going out - with no pace to stick by. Hasn't happened yet, but I'm getting better at enjoying the after race adventures, instead of getting hung up on my race times. Starting with the beer garden post race usu helps! LOL!