Thursday, February 19, 2015

Running in Snowy Maine

I spent a few days in Maine and did some winter running there.  Man, do they have snow.  In fact our first day there, we were literally snowed in for awhile. It was fun to laze around and not be able to get out.  I had brought my coffee maker anticipating this so life was good.


Yeah, I could have gotten through this snow but being snowed in was
so much more fun.
After we got shoveled out I went for one of three snowy/cold runs in Maine. I just dressed for it, put on the Yak Trax and loved it.  There was so much snow!  The banks were unreal.  I ran by Nubble Light every day and took multiple pictures. I think it is a law that you can't pass it without taking a photo.  I knew where there was an open hotel with clean bathrooms about half way so that was good.  
It did not feel like -22 at all.  


I was fascinated by all the snow and one run I took pics of a few of the summer places no one would be
visiting anytime soon.

One of many pics I took but this is the one NBC news wanted to use.


Signs also amused me - the ones you could still see.


There was one sunny day where the ocean was just stunning.  I was also fascinated
by all the colors of the water and the ice in the ocean.


This is one of many big banks. Driving was tricky because you had to get out in the
road to see.


We did a little shopping  and I had lobster rolls every night.



Then I came down with this rotten cold I have now and I was ready to come home.  

I've had some good runs at home too although my knee has been bothering me. I went to the PT yesterday and I was rather encouraged by her assessment.  I was very worried she was going to tell me not to run. My NYC half marathon is a month away!  I am not running right now because I am in bed feeling less than stellar but I am hoping to be back at it tomorrow.  There is supposed to be snow here over the next few days but  I am going to try to do one speed work session on the TM and my long run outside. I do love snow and Maine was like it used to be with such huge amounts of it!  I know they are sick of it but it certainly worked for me!

Hope you are all healthy and running and doing what you love.



16 comments:

Christy Ashley said...

Be careful with your knee! Have you tried compression sleeves? I've found them to be a quick fix when I'm worried about how my knee will hold up.

Boy that's a lot of snow! We got 4 inches this week and DC shut down =)

Kate Geisen said...

I hope you get feeling better quickly.

So cool that your picture was featured! I love all of your snowy pics. So beautiful! We actually have 5" or so here. I'm off school for wind chill, so I'm planning to do some trail running later and take a few pictures.

Pahla said...

I'm looking at the photos and just shaking my head. I can't even imagine all that cold and snow! Your photos are gorgeous - they look like paintings!
I hope you get your knee fixed up quickly!

Darlene said...

beautiful pics. I must get there someday.

Laurie said...

How awesome to have one of your photos featured on NBC news. And those chose a beautiful one. Congrats! And that snow is truly amazing.

Char said...

I've really loved seeing your photos on Instagram. You've had a crazy amount of snow out there. I'm glad it didn't keep you house-bound though. Maine isn't Maine unless you get your lobster rolls.

Amy said...

I loved seeing all the pictures on FB...sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather. We've all been sick here, too, and now I'm the one who has it - boo! Hope you're feeling better soon!

Teamarcia said...

What a fun adventure! Your pics are amazing. I say it all the time but I really do need to get back to Maine. Feel better!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

I can't even imagine -22! Get well soon - I'm sure there's an upcoming race to train for!

Black Knight said...

Thanks for sharing the photos. That is an unknown and magic "world" for me. Look after yourself when you run with all that snow.

Giorgio said...

Absolutely stunning!

Giorgio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Giorgio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz said...

Wow! Incredible pictures! I'm happy to say I have NEVER experienced such volumes of snow!

Hope your cold is gone soon. x

Fran said...

Beautiful photo's but what a lot of snow. You are so hardcore for running in that and in that cold.

Anonymous said...

I live and run in Maine. Glad you got to enjoy our snow! Your pictures are stunning!